Round 10 Essendon v Williamstown @ Windy Hill, 12pm Saturday 24 June 2017

The answer is not a happy one. We can only stream when our game is to be broadcast. and we only have very few broadcast games this year.

Sorry - thought I gave that update last week!

1 Like

Also there Hurley, Pears and Kommer.

Is Ridley any chance of being a smoky inclusion anytime soon?

Gee Begley looks lively and Ridley sounds like a very good prospect- seamlessly found his groove after a long lay-off.

I think Begley could slot straight into our forward line & allow us to have Tippa & Fanta further up the ground for patches without leaving our forward line completely wanting. He has some tricks & best of all he is competitive in the air & physically up to senior footy. Apart from Parish, Begley was the only player that gave me short term optimism from yesterday’s game. Ridley, Mutch & Clark all showed some signs (probably more than Redman & Morgan which is disappointing) but they all look at least another preseason in the gym off having AFL ready bodies. Ridley in particular looks skinny but who knows, maybe he has a Fletch type build & will always be gangly. Performance wise Ridley looked good but I have no idea where he would play at senior level right now

2 Likes

There seems to be a significant piece of the puzzle missing with Francis so it will be interesting to see where he is this time next year.

His rate of improvement with regard to his fitness is sluggish to put it mildly, which is strange because from all reports he is putting in the work and has the desire to do so.

2 Likes

That’s why I asked about glandular fever. Something like that or chronic fatigue would at least give it some explanation & context. Usually a player that unfit simply isn’t doing the work but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

1 Like

Stats are up in Footy Live.

I don’t recall seeing a score graph like it: after we kick four goals in rapid succession either side of half-time, the next half hour is alternating goals, six each… and then fifteen agonising minutes where neither team could kick a major.

Almost all the team stats are very close: the biggest differences were them winning inside fifties 59-51, us kicking straighter, and tackles 64-42 to us.

Some of the stats vary a fair bit from those published by the club yesterday. VFL stats, eh?

In DreamTeam order:

Myers 32 disposals, 5 tackles, 1 goal
Ridley 26 and 12 marks
Redman 21
Mutch 23
Parish 27 and 1.1
Dea 20
Brown 21
Hocking 19 and 6 tackles and 1.0
Begley 12 and 4.2
Loony 13, 30 whiteouts [hitouts] and 1 goal
Bird 17 and 8 tackles
Boyse 12, 6 tackles, 1.0
HepA 18
Stants 19
Francis 10 (all kicks) and 8 marks
Merrett 16
Clarke 16 (only 5 were kicks) and 1.0
Hind 16 and 1.0
Long 10 and 2.0
Ottavi got 2.1 from 5 kicks and 5 marks, and 1 goal-causing run-down tackle. Nice when a 199cm guy runs a smaller guy down!
Morgan 11
No’B a sad 10, only 1 of which was a kick
Draper 6 and 12 hit-outs

(Jolly had 21 disposals, Meese 40 hitouts, Masters 25 disposals and 2.1, Schultz 4.2)

6 Likes

Jordan
Ridley

Height
192 cm
DOB
20-10-1998
Weight
79 kg
Debut

Martin
Gleeson

Height
191 cm
DOB
25-08-1994
Weight
84 kg
Debut

Ridley was on the weights while off injured and I read somewhere that he has put on around 4kg and may be catching Marty’s weight fairly quickly.

So the point of all this is that he may be able to take on a role similar to Marty before too long, and hopefully put on more weight and be a third tall option in the next year or two, although, as usual Dodoro thinks he could play mid at some point. What does his pace look like?

Jesus Loony obviously made 30 mistakes!!! Lol

Yeah Gleeson is very much the body type Ridley looks like, Hopefully though he can quickly add some bulk because its still holding Marty back. Pace wise I’m really not sure, I don’t recall noticing either way. I vaguely remember a player running through the middle who suddenly put on some afterburners & showed a good turn of speed but I’m not 100% sure who it was now. It took me a while to work out who Ridley was because he wasn’t even named in the record

I don’t think myers got 30 plus touches.

(The highly-placed Fark Northern allowed themselves to be destroyed 31-115 on Sunday, thereby putting Richmond in front of us on percentage. Fark Fark Northern.)

1 Like

Well it will be up to us next Saturday to do something about it!

Round 11- Saturday July 1- 2:10PM

ESSENDON vs RICHMOND (Windy Hill)

We are on Channel 7 too for those of us who can’t make it.

8 Likes

Glees was listed as 70kg and 186cm height in his draft year.

I dont think he and Ridley are comparable in body type at the same stage, Ridley is far closer to “ready to go”.

But it does provide a hint as to why we need to be patient with Gleeson. A growth spurt of 5 cm after the age of 17 is a lot to adjust to, let alone also trying to bulk up. He may only just be getting used to himself now, and adjusting to his ‘real’ speed and not what he once was.

3 Likes

Mutch ranked above Darcy on dreamteam is interesting. Lots of marks/tackles?

Redmans stats surprised me. From all reports he was virtually unsighted and lumped in with Morgan. Not on the stats sheet he wasn’t.

2 Likes

Thought Mason was terrific myself, I had him in our best. Held his opponent, found plenty of ball and was composed with it. Excellent game.

6 Likes

I would be surprised that those measurements still apply to Ridley.

He looks like he’s grown another cm or two and has certainly bulked up a little.

I don’t think he will ever be a monster but he certainly has the capacity to put on more weight than Marty. He’s broader across the shoulders and I think he will fill out to a good size.

I don’t believe he will be a KPD so I don’t think they will want to build him up to much anyway. He’s mobile for his size and athletic and as a 3rd defender type, that’s how he should be.

2 Likes

I think Riddles has also grown a bit as well since being drafted. I’d think he might be 195-196cm now. The one thing he has is composure with the ball, he rarely looks flustered and a very good user of the ball over short-medium distance.

2 Likes