Round 13 vs Port Melbourne @ Windy Hill - 2.10pm Saturday 2nd July

Here are the details on the VFL site. Apparently Francis not in the bests. What are the chances that Polkinghorne is in next week.

ESSENDON
Goal Kickers: S. Heavyside 2, S. Grimley 2, J. Langford 2, N. Kommer 2, D. Coghlan, J. Polkinghorne
Best Players: C. McKenna, J. Polkinghorne, K. Langford, J. Langford, J. Long, A. Heppell

Stats up on footy live app:

Langford 11 kicks, 17 handballs, 10 tackles
Polk, 11, 15, 5, plus 1 goal
Irish 13, 10, 2
Long 16, 6, 1
Francis 15, 4, 7 (13 marks)
Redman 10, 9, 2
Heppell 8, 8, 5
Lav 7, 8, 6
Wallis 5, 7, 6
Morgan 5, 4, 2
Eades 2, 2, 4

Must say Eades has been disappointing this season. He was talked up a fair bit by the training watchers before Xmas and at that stage I was hoping he’d play a fair bit of 1’s straight away. But after his incident over Xmas, he wasn’t talked up again that I noticed, so I’d be curious if he was noticeably training worse after that point?

His main issue seems to be getting his hands on the ball. A lot of training exercises make sure everyone gets their hands on the ball, wouldn’t surprise me if that’s most of the difference.

I watched a quarter and a half.

Francis has that presence that elite players display. Just takes complete control of the area of the field he is playing at.

Was impressed with Langford’s effort. Was in the inside of packs at all times fighting hard.

Longy was playing some great footy. Smooth player…really hoping for his debut soon.

Langford has oodles of talent

langford beast mode in the middle today, just dominates with size at this level which is ridiculous given his age, is he 20 yet. actually reminded me of josh kennedy at times today.

Langford was good but gives away silly frees, Laverde was good early but faded, Long was consistent without being great, needs to work on his disposal. Francis was best! Michael played really well in the 2nd half. Wallis started well and disappeared. Hepple is great. Morgan improved as it went along without being very good. Redman looks silk but didn't touch it enough. Eades was garbarge and I think should be tried in Kommers spot. Kommer was ok. Edwards when he got a chance to run was very exiting the rest of the time he was disappointing. Coghlan was great early but got injured. Grimly started better than Michael but disappeared. Polkinghorn was probably 3rd best on ground. There was way to many passengers..

I’m sure Brisbane would love Jordan Liesle in there forward line

Forgot MCKenna, was BOG, great kick

For me beats in order were McKenna, Francis, Langford, Polkinghorn and Hepple

Langford needs to work on his silly frees - you need to work on your facts gave 1away in a marking contest.

McKenna was excellent , Polks solid , Francis great 1st half , Laverde ok , Edwards needs to stop the tricks and just play a role. Michael thought he was very solid in the 2nd half

Langford was good but gives away silly frees, Laverde was good early but faded, Long was consistent without being great, needs to work on his disposal. Francis was best! Michael played really well in the 2nd half. Wallis started well and disappeared. Hepple is great. Morgan improved as it went along without being very good. Redman looks silk but didn't touch it enough. Eades was garbarge and I think should be tried in Kommers spot. Kommer was ok. Edwards when he got a chance to run was very exiting the rest of the time he was disappointing. Coghlan was great early but got injured. Grimly started better than Michael but disappeared. Polkinghorn was probably 3rd best on ground. There was way to many passengers..

I’m sure Brisbane would love Jordan Liesle in there forward line

Forgot MCKenna, was BOG, great kick

For me beats in order were McKenna, Francis, Langford, Polkinghorn and Hepple

Langford needs to work on his silly frees - you need to work on your facts gave 1away in a marking contest.

McKenna was excellent , Polks solid , Francis great 1st half , Laverde ok , Edwards needs to stop the tricks and just play a role. Michael thought he was very solid in the 2nd half

I don’t have the stats in front of me, but in this and the last VFL game I watched he seems to go in high on a lot of tackles

Has the Langford played midfield in the senior team?

Has the Langford played midfield in the senior team?
Yes
Bring back Nash Holmes ffs
There is no such person. Not until draft time.

McKenna clear BOG for us, commentator described him as “dynamic” and that’s exactly what he was. Fast, skilled, ran both ends of the ground and was class with his kicks. If only we could find a way for him to do that in the seniors.

Francis is ready to come into the seniors form wise, only thing holding him back is if Worsfold wants him cherry ripe for the seniors fitness wise, but he could easily come in. Countless intercept marks down back, him and Hurley will be a force down back.

Langford is classy, just seems a step above this level, whilst Laverde the same although didn’t get as much of the ball as he’d have wanted. I’d bring both in.

Really liked Long’s game, I wish he had that extra 5 or so kgs on him because that’s all he needs. Seemed to be a bit more nitty gritty today than usual and overall he’s had a really great season. I hope we gift him a game late in the year because he’s deserved it on his form and improvement this year. Again, just a bit skinny for now.

Loving Heppell, he’s improved out of sight since the days of him being 23rd man and scraping into the side, and now he’s one of the first picked. Another great game of desperation and skill. I hope we rookie him.

Didn’t really notice Redman too much, probably wouldn’t be knocking down selection doors. Edwards was putrid, about as bad as you could think, worst aspect would be decision making. Stuffing up certain goals, checksiding goals from 25m on minimal angles that fall short and even becoming a lame parody of himself with a exaggerated goosestep for no reason at one stage. Needs to do the basics before he becomes a hero.

Was good to see Kommer was still alive after he’s been doing nothing for ages. Pretty much the typical Kommer game. A few good marks, a few good tackles, a goal, an easy miss, and not many touches…unfortunately looks done. Eades didn’t have a good game but unlike Edwards tries his heart out, it just wasn’t his day and he couldn’t get near it.

Avoided the thread all day, and just watched it then. How the fark did we not win that?

A fair bit to like, if you can ignore the wasted opportunities up forward.

Some thoughts:

• Francis. Holy friggin hell. Get him in the seniors now. How’s the tackling?
  • Laverde was ok, but he’s hardly banging the door down.
  • Langford is hilarious. Even if he’s into the third rotation of being tackled, if there is no clear option, he will not release the ball. He’s probably gotta head back to the seniors soon, and he looks very much like an inside mid to me.
  • I never really thought Mckenna could make it as an AFL forward. But as a half back… Yeah, I see it.
  • My boy Redman has some skills, but he’s got a fair knack of going missing for large chunks of the game. Looks better on the ball imo.
  • Edwards should be dropped from the VFL. That was some of the worst decison making I’ve ever seen. Funny though.
  • Could have done with Mckernan today, probably would have been the difference.
  • I’m ambivalent about Eades.

I’m loving the VFL telecasts this year.

McKenna clear BOG for us, commentator described him as "dynamic" and that's exactly what he was. Fast, skilled, ran both ends of the ground and was class with his kicks. If only we could find a way for him to do that in the seniors.
- I never really thought Mckenna could make it as an AFL forward. But as a half back... Yeah, I see it.

This!!

Get him behind the ball and let him run.

Avoided the thread all day, and just watched it then. How the fark did we not win that?

A fair bit to like, if you can ignore the wasted opportunities up forward.

Some thoughts:

• Francis. Holy friggin hell. Get him in the seniors now. How’s the tackling?
  • Laverde was ok, but he’s hardly banging the door down.
  • Langford is hilarious. Even if he’s into the third rotation of being tackled, if there is no clear option, he will not release the ball. He’s probably gotta head back to the seniors soon, and he looks very much like an inside mid to me.
  • I never really thought Mckenna could make it as an AFL forward. But as a half back… Yeah, I see it.
  • My boy Redman has some skills, but he’s got a fair knack of going missing for large chunks of the game. Looks better on the ball imo.
  • Edwards should be dropped from the VFL. That was some of the worst decison making I’ve ever seen. Funny though.
  • Could have done with Mckernan today, probably would have been the difference.
  • I’m ambivalent about Eades.

So coming round on Langford then?

I'm gone 16 hours and you guys fall apart...

I have no idea how you do it. I tried to do it on the ipad in front of the tv in the 2nd half and couldn’t even keep up.

As for the game:

• Francis is going to be something special. Give him one more week in the VFL and then bring him in v.s Richmond. He looked knackered halfway through the last qtr, but still was able to throw his body around. Felt bad for him, copped a forearm fend off to the face which drew blood(no free), then gives one out and cops a free against.

*Langford did very well.

*McKenna off half back was very very good.

*Edwards is a joke. That handball late in the 3rd term just summed him up. Plenty of skill- but no brain. Doesn’t want it nearly enough. No heart

*Eades- was really poor, but still tried to get involved

*Laverde didn’t have a great game, but he works his butt off. Surely he takes Stokes place.

Such a frustrating game to watch, dominated the 2nd half just couldn’t kick straight. At least half of the set shots missed were easy ones.

So coming round on Langford then?

I’ve always been round on Langford

Gach. That injury at the first bounce cost us the game i mo, because it really effected our stoppage setups with Smack sitting in the stands. After that, we needed all and sundry to try to pinch hit in the ruck at times, as Michael could not do it all on his own.

Edwards . Can mark, can kick, can jump, can run , can handball. Just cannot put it all together under pressure. Very disappointing.

Longy continues to develop really well. Has played as a half forward , winger and now as a defender where he is playing with a lot of composure and is surprisingly tough. He has broadened his footy resume and deserves an AFL debut this year.

Francis: Its no certainty that he plays AFL this year. It may take years for this guy to attain the elite match fitness expected of an AFL player.

McKenna. Needs to get another go in the AFL, at least 4 games . Tippa one side, McKenna the other. Running power and elite kicking on reboun d and I50

I am impressed with Wallis. He has a good football brain.
I hope he continues to develop in the VFL.

Tackling by the vfl team I thought was very strong. By the standards umpired Thursday probably too strong and I kept expecting to hear a free against every time we crunched em. Combine that with the kicking for goal, and ahhh the mental state of an EFC fan. Great to see Langford piling up possies.

Won’t win games by converting like that…where it was ordinary.

Edwards has stamped his papers.