Round 14

Sydney just In front of power. Nothing special going on. Ryder nil impact.

Ryder 2 touches in the final minute of the half to bring his stats up to 3 at 1/2 Time or about $10k a touch

Oh how I miss his laconicnessness

Schulz’s tackle looked like a sling to me.

Schulz's tackle looked like a sling to me.

Definitely.
Spun Richards almost 360 degrees

Weren’t you listening to the commentators??
It was absolutely not never no a sling tackle.

What a precedent squibbs set.

Schulz should go on the precedent

Jeez thats pretty average from broadbent too, with parker in the hands of a trainer and he comes along and gives him a bump

Jeez thats pretty average from broadbent too, with parker in the hands of a trainer and he comes along and gives him a bump

Isn’t that a reportable offense?
Someone has definitely been pinged for it since the Riewoldt v Brisbane incident 10 years ago
Imo far worse than Shultz’ tackle

Thought it was a good tackle.

I think most “sling” tackles these days are just legitimately good, old school tackles.

Players play football because they love it and they full well know the risks/injuries that can come from it.

You know you could go in for a contest and break a leg Nathan Brown style or watch the ball and cop a brutal knee to the head Jimmy Hird style, just like you could get tackled well and be injured.

Injuries are bad and yes there should be precautions where possible but there is a difference between deterrence and punishing players for doing what they have been taught to do since they were children on the footy field.

Just another sign the game is getting softer and softer.

yeah i agree, i dont think the tackle was bad, its just a part of the game. But for consistency’s sake, he’s gotta get a couple weeks.
There is absolutely zero common sense in the way the AFL is officiated/administered

Schulz's tackle looked like a sling to me.
Dont know where this "sling" tackle thing came from. A proper sling tackle is where the guernsey is grabbed and used to sling the player to the ground. Gibbs and Schulz didnt lay sling tackles IMO

Fark Ryder zero touches that quarter and still 3 for the game lol

The missing piece of the puzzle.

I think most “sling” tackles these days are just legitimately good, old school tackles.

Players play football because they love it and they full well know the risks/injuries that can come from it.

You know you could go in for a contest and break a leg Nathan Brown style or watch the ball and cop a brutal knee to the head Jimmy Hird style, just like you could get tackled well and be injured.

Injuries are bad and yes there should be precautions where possible but there is a difference between deterrence and punishing players for doing what they have been taught to do since they were children on the footy field.

It only happened to me once but it was the scariest thing I experienced while playing footy. You know your head is about to be rammed into the turf but you can’t do a thing because your arms are pinned.
Can’t stand this “perfect” tackle bullshit and that it’s what you are taught as a junior. Absolute rubbish. Taking this out of the game does not make the game soft!

He just looks like a lost sheep out there. Not sure who thought he and Lobbe were a compatible ruck pairing. He sure as hell isn’t the forward or key plank to their premiership assault they thought he was going to be. Looks every bit the money grabbing mercenary he is.

It only happened to me once but it was the scariest thing I experienced while playing footy. You know your head is about to be rammed into the turf but you can’t do a thing because your arms are pinned.
Can’t stand this “perfect” tackle bullshit and that it’s what you are taught as a junior. Absolute rubbish. Taking this out of the game does not make the game soft!

Disagree.

I think you’ll find at least 95% of the time, the tackle in itself is not malicious or has no other intention but to bring the ball career to ground as best the tackler can.

It is rarely a player thinking; “Fark this guy, I’m gunna smash his head into the ground!”

As harsh it may sound, don’t play if you don’t like it. No one is forcing you to play footy.

The game survived just fine for the previous 100 years without the rule and I’m sure it would be just fine without it now.

I agree the rule itself doesn’t make the game “soft” but it is yet another contributing factor.

He just looks like a lost sheep out there. Not sure who thought he and Lobbe were a compatible ruck pairing. He sure as hell isn’t the forward or key plank to their premiership assault they thought he was going to be. Looks every bit the money grabbing mercenary he is.

He’s just missing his family.

If they actually paid holding the ball. It would free the game up heaps

Disagree.

I think you’ll find at least 95% of the time, the tackle in itself is not malicious or has no other intention but to bring the ball career to ground as best the tackler can.

It is rarely a player thinking; “Fark this guy, I’m gunna smash his head into the ground!”

As harsh it may sound, don’t play if you don’t like it. No one is forcing you to play footy.

The game survived just fine for the previous 100 years without the rule and I’m sure it would be just fine without it now.

I agree the rule itself doesn’t make the game “soft” but it is yet another contributing factor.

Imo malice has little to do with the argument when talking about an action that is dangerous in its nature. How many drink drivers go out with the intention of hurting someone? How many people drive down highways at 200km/h with the intent to crash? The “good will” of the offender doesn’t make the action any less irresponsible

The game also survived for X amount of years where you were allowed to line someone up off the ball and intentionally knock him out when a shoulder to the hurt - doesn’t make it right. I’ll also add that rules regarding illegitimate/reportable tackles have been around a few years now

I’d also disagree that the game is softer now. Unless you consider acts like Alistair Clarkson’s tough?

Disagree.

Imo malice has little to do with the argument when talking about an action that is dangerous in its nature. How many drink drivers go out with the intention of hurting someone? How many people drive down highways at 200km/h with the intent to crash? The “good will” of the offender doesn’t make the action any less irresponsible

The game also survived for X amount of years where you were allowed to line someone up off the ball and intentionally knock him out when a shoulder to the hurt - doesn’t make it right. I’ll also add that rules regarding illegitimate/reportable tackles have been around a few years now

I’d also disagree that the game is softer now. Unless you consider acts like Alistair Clarkson’s tough?

All very good points.

I see where you are coming from.

However I do think acts like Broadbent’s tonight, trying to bump Parker whilst he was hurt should be looked at with more scrutiny then they currently are.