Round 19 Essendon vs Sydney: Changes, Discussion, Match-ups, etc

In: melksham

Out: j. Merrett

Hurley - reid/goodes

Fletcher - tippett

Hooker - buddy

Minimal changes. This time of the year we really need to try and settle the line up. wouldn’t be bringing in another tall. Back our talls in defence to do the job, and ambrozi/jake will be enough tall targets up forward, you dont really need another tall forward at the scg.

In: melksham
Out: j. Merrett
Hurley - reid/goodes
Fletcher - tippett
Hooker - buddy
Minimal changes. This time of the year we really need to try and settle the line up. wouldn't be bringing in another tall. Back our talls in defence to do the job, and ambrozi/jake will be enough tall targets up forward, you dont really need another tall forward at the scg.

Yet we are going to be playing a team based there who plays 3 really tall players plus goodes, hmm.

The game is two weeks away, who knows what happens between then, and I think a key factor will be the weather. If it's raining we may be able to get away with no tall inclusions and relying on paddy to ruck 99 % of the game. Maybe he can just sit behind the play most of the day, and just ruck at center clearences.

Hurley will take Franklin again. Bomba said he was pleased with his second half on him last time they played.
Hooker will take Tippet again.
Fletcher on Reid.
Hibberd on Goodes.

That was a long while ago, and hooker has improved even more since then and basically destroyed everyone. Id give him first crack at buddy, but I guess we will see

I say play small and counter their talls with speed. Remember we have an AA chb if we really need one.

In: Jetta 

Out: J. Merrett.

Showing consistency and leadership in the two's. Had 31 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles, and a goal in a pretty bad team performance on Sunday. 

I would still lean towards melk for his hardness against the swans but if not BRING LEROY IN

In: Melksham

Out: Jerrett

In: Jetta 

Out: J. Merrett.

Showing consistency and leadership in the two's. Had 31 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles, and a goal in a pretty bad team performance on Sunday. 

The tried and trusted VFL watchers all commented on Leroy's lack of defensive efforts and defensive team positioning.

Count me in for the in Melky - out Jerrett as the only change.

Melky adds some grunt and once he gets his confidence back we know the heights he can reach. I really like Jerrett but I can’t defend him any longer. Just needs to find the footy in he 2’s.

If they decide to add a tall I hazard to guess it would be for Howlett (give him the 2 week pre Tigers freshen up?)… Personally I wouldn’t add a tall but I could understand is they did.

Hurley will take Franklin again. Bomba said he was pleased with his second half on him last time they played.
Hooker will take Tippet again.
Fletcher on Reid.
Hibberd on Goodes.

Yep, gotta agree with fog on this one.
Out: J.Merrett
In: Melksham
J.Merrett stays in if Howlett doesn't get up in time, though it sounds like he will.

I don’t see us getting away with leaving a spare tall back for them. Dogs had Austin loose. Sydney will free up probably Laidler - maybe Grundy or Richards. All can play.

Think fog nailed it

Merrett probably needs a spell but I think he offers pace that we could miss if we drop him. With winders back we don’t really have any small pacy types up forward and Sydney love attacking off the half back line

Changes only if forced by injury I reckon. Howlett and Hibberd are currently doubtful. Id be reluctant to go with TBC mainly because I think visiting sides can go too tall at the SCG. Paddy is in form and has the engine to go the whole game - especially on that small ground.

I'd be going with 'like for like' - maybe Kavanagh in as a sub and maybe a Pears or dare I say it Hardingham for Hibberd - as I said ONLY if they don't come up because of injury. Think Hocking is a bit sore, so I hope he gets up to try and negate Kennedy.

Reckon Dell could/should get a full game to see how he goes - especially with Joey missing. I reckon isolate Buckets and have the smaller crumbers down there but who can also drag defenders away from Carlisle.

Our away record vs. Sydney is actually not dreadful. Last game only 17 pts down late in Q3 before getting overrun. Lost early in 2012 by a few points with I think for memory a woeful non-free kick to Stanton with a minute left directly in front which would've won us the game. And lost by 9 pts in 2010 when I think Dempsey killed us with a double 50m penalty late in the last quarter when we were 1 pt down with a few mins left.

Jetta?

WTF?

I actually wouldnt mind Jetta in the team for Jackson Merrett who has looked tired recently. When is Jetta's contract up?  Surely he knows he wont be here next year and he has shown good signs in the twos. Surely if he does come in he will play like it could be his last game ever. Give the wizard a go!

I really hope those people calling for Jetta's in never have a partner cheat on them. How many last chances does a guy get?!

LEROY

I actually wouldnt mind Jetta in the team for Jackson Merrett who has looked tired recently. When is Jetta's contract up? Surely he knows he wont be here next year and he has shown good signs in the twos. Surely if he does come in he will play like it could be his last game ever. Give the wizard a go!

NO
Weve been down this track way too many times. Its a shame. We all wanted him to have the game where we could say "HES BACK!" But its just not gonna happen. He has had too many chances and there are more deserving players on the list at the moment

LEROY

The only way he will EVER play a good game is if you are there to scream this whenever he gets within 50m of the pill

If this group is ever a chance to sneak an upset win against a team that's the clear favourite for the flag,  it will be in two weeks' time.

We have a bye, so an extra week to recover and prepare while they have to play a massive game against the reigning premiers,  who are the clear second favourite for the flag.

They have to travel home from that game,  too.

The only thing that would make this match better for us is if it was at Etihad Stadium.   Sadly,  it's in Sydney.  

We've been really good against this mob over the past couple of seasons;  last time we met was a very disappointing exception.   Let's hope we can pull off another surprise win.  :-)