Round 2 Essendon vs Brisbane - build-up

Saturday is going to take an eternity to roll around.

Lol.

No I think green, Fanta and tippa might have something to say about that.

Essington was born due to poor inside 50 entries in recent years (amongst other things). This shifts momentum and discourages the players as there is no reward for their efforts. I didnā€™t see much ā€˜bombingā€™ into the 50 on Saturday night. This is the main improvement for mine, our entries were classy and we were able to impact the scoreboard.

I think we can upset more sides this year and push for finals. Bring on Brisbane!

3 Likes

I think we will have a solid 5 goal win. Cant see them going backwards over the next 2 weeks.

And when we did go long it was too even numbers at the top of the square to the advantage side.

Lions gave up 17 marks inside 50 to GC from 74 entries. That is about one mark for every 5 entries.

We took 16 marks from 56 entries - one and half marks for every 5. If our midfield gets on top and we can carry it through the back of the square like we did against the Hawks we will destroy them. The only caveat is that hooker and JD have to kick straight.

1 Like

If the Gabba surface still isnā€™t ready then the AFL should move the game to the MCG

5 Likes

I would go
Watson v Rockliff
Zerrett v Zorko
Heppell v Beams
Parish v Robinson - would be good to see those 2 fiery units on each other. (parish would give him a bath
Zaharkis v Lewis Taylor
Goddard vs Bastinac
Colyer v Bewick

I think most will depend on McKernan v Martin
if Mckernan can break even, that would be a huge win.

Also think we have them covered down back and up forward.

part of the reason our inside 50 entries have improved is personnell - Zerrett, Colyer, Goddard, Kelly, Zaharakis, Tippa all good kicks

1 Like

Tag Rich FFS

5 Likes

If our mindset is good weā€™ll be sweet. Just hope we donā€™t get ahead of ourselves.

As stated previously Joe and Cale kicking straight will help.

Just watched the highlights of the Hawthorn game. Green walked off the ground after the game with ice on the hammy. All good?

Iā€™m thankful that we donā€™t have to rely on Joeā€™s straight kicking to score this year. We have so much talent up forward.

2 Likes

We were always going to be up and about for the Hawthorn game - thatā€™s not to say that we were always going to win, just that we would lift for the occasion.

This game - and FCFC the week after - will give us a better indication of where we are at, imo. Play ruthlessly and win both comfortably then I am going to be feeling pretty good about our prospects this year (as you would expect at 3-0).

3 Likes

I would consider one of howlett or bird if itā€™s gonna be wet

1 Like

Bring in Howlett as tagger who kicks goals.

Put Langford in VFL to get more experience as #1 mid.

8 Likes

The basic reason we beat Hawthorn is that we outran and outnumbered and outpressured them. (For a long time no-one ever did that to Hawthorn, and certainly not in big games, but it happened a few times last year and my guess is that it will happen more often this year.)

If we do the same things against Brisbane, weā€™ll beat them.

So the question is, Was Saturday night a performance based on pent-up emotion that will now subside, or has the team got determination to win embedded in their souls so that it will endure through the whole season (or at least last through Saturday)?

I have no idea. Iā€™m hoping the former, fearing the latter.

The more they play like that, the more theyā€™ll get used to playing like that all the time.

My heart is telling me that the feeling in these guys is so strong that it will last all season. And my head is saying that players on Saturday did things they had never done before, and now they know they can do them.

I think weā€™ll win.

5 Likes

Been thinking about this since Saturday. 4 pts on the board is a huge help. Having 12 from 12 would be great in our quest to get 12/13 wins and make finals. Needing 10 wins from our last 19 games is a really good position to be in.

1 Like

I expect full blown Essington mode to erupt Saturday night.

Brisbane by 40+.

Nah Brisbane will be meek after nearly getting overrun from GCS.

Bombers by 60

Brisbane to continue on from their last 3 quarters this week.

Essendon by 39+