Round 22 vs Richmond - Changes & Preview

Or perhaps more accurately it depends on whether Richmond squibb it as horrendously as West Coast did.

@Anabelle

I believe you need an Avatar change.
Here you go.

You’re welcome…

IMG_2696

5 Likes

Just play 22 fit guys who are going to go in and play like it’s the grand final (because it basically is). None of this playing Hooker/BJ at 70% rubbish.

2 Likes

Just bring in luenberger as the designated enforcer. Club will bankroll his fines.

we beat all those teams

just sayin

Just thinking back to the first jlt game and after they thrashed us the difference in clubs approaches even back then , and supporter beliefs of how things would turn out.

Richmond came out ready and well drilled and took it seriously and all that.
Now 2 weeks to go , they are looking as though they will be minor premiers with a full ish list to choose from and pretty much take the flag , its theirs to lose.

Us well its only a practice match right , you dont win premierships being in form in march right ? Add all the other excuses in.

I live in hope one day soon our standard and level of professionalism rises to richmonds heights of the last 18 months.

Then we hopefully wouldnt have to rely on needing to win the last 2 games to yet again scrape into finals just to be knocked out in rd 1 of the finals.

1 Like

is that Sarah?

1 Like

We need to crack in hard and beat them up around the ball, use it cleanly from stoppages and particularly with forward entries. That will negate some of their pressure.

Someone posted earlier that we are easy to score against, that’s simply not right, in our run of form lately we have generally restricted sides quite well. The key is not butchering it or constantly turning it over to the spare man, that leaves us vulnerable, and so we can set up more effectively ourselves.

There is just a faint flicker of hope, that may well be snuffed out this Friday. I pray the posters pointing out some of our great wins against the odds, when we looked thoroughly outmatched, are right.

My head says we will lose convincingly, but my heart chooses to believe.

The main problem for Essendon in this game is above the shoulders. Richmond have toyed with Essendon for a few years now so there’s some mental scaring/hurdles they need to overcome. Essendon have the game but do they believe they’re as good as or better than Richmond? They’ve played twice this year with Richmond smashing the boys by 10+ goals. How far have Essendon progressed since June 2, 9 games ago? I’m hoping, as a minimum, the boys don’t lose badly and remain competitive throughout the contest. It’s nice to dream the win. The season is still alive, at least for another 4 days.

I think there are two things we we will have to get right on Friday night. As others have said, manic pressure across the board. Work hard defensively to keep the ball in our forward 50 and make the most of our entries. We seem to bomb it in long first and then lower the eyes later. Spot up targets should be sought from the get go.

The big one for me is the ability to action skills while under pressure. Was our failure against Richmond the last time we played. We cant afford to be turning the ball over like we did against Hawthorn.

1 Like

NO

One character is somewhat believable, the other is Sarah !

ATE isn’t this the attitude we don’t want? Let’s have a go and we might get close and that’s OK?

This year we were up 50-1 against the Eagles in Perth and crunched Geelong again, who almost caught Richmond the other week. We know from 2001 that good teams come undone somewhere.

I will not be satisfied by nervous indecision and players being overawed by RFC. If we are relentless and confident (allowing for the odd misstep from that confidence, rather than from timid passivity) we can win well. It’s not about whether the Tigers have a few injuries or are going easy towards the finals. That is a defeatist mindset, however much those issues could help. It is up to our team to say we have to beat the best, at the moment they are the best, so who better is there to play? Carpe noctem!

1 Like

Have you enjoyed any of our performances in the last 3 months? I’m guessing not. You must have a miserable life

2 Likes

Way too much. Hoping for someone to be seriously injured is pretty immature and kinda evil.

3 Likes

Unless they play for Fark Carlton.

A change I want to see is when/if the tempo changes, game plan starts to fail, Richmond defenders setting up behind the ball, etc etc the coaches box makes the moves quickly. Be it man on man, Brown back, Hooker forward - make the changes quickly, not when the game is done and dusted.

6 Likes

The flipside being you have enjoyed a season where essendon wont make finals ??

You enjoy essendon not making finals, and im the miserable , anti essendon person , right.

Carlton had 2 enjoyable wins this year. Let that sink in.

You can throw tantrums about our ladder position or enjoy the way team is coming together and be positive about our future success in years to come.

I have more faith in this 2018 side moving forward than did in last years even if miss the finals.

The direction we headed is exactly why we are in mix for big fish right now & also why you our young talent keep re-signing.

There is supporting. And then there is sooking.

12 Likes

Whats the difference between making the finals or not?

As far as I’m concerned you are either the premier or you are building to be one.

Can you honestly say that we have played better football in the last fifteen years?

9 Likes