Round 22 vs Richmond - Changes & Preview

It’s gonna be mayhem in here when we win Friday night in a heart stopper.

Will we learn the lesson and not just bomb it into the 50?
Will we be brave all night,moving the ball quickly,taking them on through the gmiddle of the G?

Will have to be at our our very best.

2 Likes

I’m still 50/50 on going Friday.

On one hand don’t want to miss out on one of those remarkble Essendon wins and on the other hand don’t want to witness a flogging while Richmond flogs in the stands have thier ■■■■ eating grins as i exit the G.

3 Likes

they apply smart pressure. It is the pressure they apply to the outside receivers that is telling. They make sure there is no exit… make the ball carrier panic and shut down the outlets. very effective and very efficient. by stopping the ball getting to the ‘outside’ then they limit the amount of running they need to do to cover a wide zone or cover the switch.

Most teams are ‘happy’ to allow a deep backline switch but tigers don’t… there was discussion around this last year. Their players spend less time ‘dead running’ to cover a zone than most other teams. ie… they don’t spend half their petrol tickets running back and forth across the G as the ball is switched etc.

They also don’t have their defenders get sucked up to the ball… they stay back in formation… so even if you do clear it from the pack… you are still running into a web of well set up Richmond players. Simple but deadly set up really. So the defenders are also not doing a lot of ‘dead running’ and getting caught in no mans land.

That is where their short forward line is key to the success… but they rely on their small forwards to do the same amount of work as their midfielders… or essentially they are running a 6 man defence and a 12 man midfield. Even their ruckman racks up huge km.

They generally do well against teams that have their ‘plus one’ at the stoppage (ie US) or those who try to break them on the spread (ie US). The weakness is teams that use smart ball movement with deep kicks over the defensive web but to a leading target (ie West Coast).

4 Likes

YOU BETTER TURN UP ■■■■

8 Likes

I’m tempted Stallion but I’m having flashbacks of Nightmare at The G

It’s a long off-season, Nino. Could be your last chance to see the Bombers play live for a while, so get around them. :slight_smile:

You’ll find that’s how footy works

2 Likes

True

Those ■■■■■■ Richmond fans tho they have thier heads so far up thier own a** since they won the flag that they can see what they ate for breakfeast

4 Likes

I’m genuinely excited about going to the G on a Friday night and seeing how we go against the best and one of our big rivals.

The fact our season is half cooked/half still alive makes it even more appetising.

If you’re in a position to attend I’d always attend these ones over dross at Etihad v ■■■■ interstate sides

11 Likes

Sounds simple and dumb but just kick it long to where the Richmond players aren’t going to be grubbers end over end mongrels. Richmond will be waiting for to things. Over use of handball, and kicks down the line. If we can’t get into space after a couple of handball kick the f ING thing into space.

It just feels like it’s going to be one of those games.

Not only with the amount we have on the line. But Richmond preparing their side for finals (and a few having clean ups - no Lambert and Prestia is big). Cotchin has been playing sore and only part of games. Richmond have a massive winning streak at the g - it may just be the game they need to lose before their finals campaign.

We just need to be switched on.

1 Like

Our kick out stradegty is the worst imo bomb it to ethier pocket which gives the oposition a chance to have repeat fwd 50 entries works against lower oposition but not this Richmond side will go straight back in where guys like Caddy,Castagna,Higgins etc slotting goals

Need to be smarter do a little hit up lead from the goal sqaure so we can kick over thier forward press and hopefully have players further up field running into space towards goal

1 Like

Win this and it will be a Watershed moment for the entire club, what a great opportunity.

6 Likes

If we beat Richmond I’ll will back us to have a crack at the flag next season we have shown enough in the second half of the year that we can beat the best

I’ll get there at half time. hopefully we are still in the game.

If our plan A is better than Richmond’s pressure, that would be enough.

1 Like

Why wait?

8 Likes

All we have to do to beat them is trick them into thinking that they are playing interstate!

Will be mayhem in the stadium too!