Round 22 vs Richmond - Changes & Preview

Your version is very similar to my version …except after the siren… it emerges that the Tiges were actually taking a cocktail of schedule 1 WADA prohibited drugs for the last 2 seasons and are excluded from the finals pending investigation. A protracted 4 year investigation sees the 2017 grand final, brownlow stripped and the club guttered to an inch of its life… while the football world marvels at the irony of Essendon going on to win the next 4 premierships…

14 Likes

You win !

Sorry. 147. Other end!

1 Like

As far as set ups for a game, can’t really beat this one.

Essendon, after a 2-6 start of the year, finally have a chance to get into the finals. With a very injury ridden list.

Having to beat the Tigers, undefeated at the MCG for 19 games straight - fully fit list on their way to defend their premiership.

If we were to pull off a win, it would be legendary.

5 Likes

make it a VFL bulldogs membership…

1 Like

Clock winds down to 8 seconds left in game

Ball flies into the forward 50, picked up by Hooker who turns face to face against Rance

“You took my family”

moves to the left

“You took my friends”

moves to the right

“You took all that was dear to me”

clock winds down to 3

“I can’t get them back, but I can do this for friendship, FOR MY FRIENDS”

winds up, fire coming out of his shoes

“CALEORUKEN”

Ball flies over Rance’s head, goes straight through the middle. Hooker falls to the ground, exhausted.

“Stringer… Senpai… I… I…”

…and he faints

Final Score
Richmond 121 d Essendon 63

15 Likes

They swapped Hooker to the forward line pretty early last week, it was a big difference straight away. Brown didn’t look too bad playing defence but I think they’ll re-structure our lineup to keep that marking target.

We need Hurley to play tight on Riewoldt, only really need 1 tall defender I think, more mobile mid/small defenders will match up better. Dea is a good fit.
We’ll be missing a huge amount of speed with Saad and Raz out, will need to be accurate with our disposal and make plenty of running into space. Lav can take 50/50 time in the middle, just nowhere near as fast as Raz so will need to be super clean with hands.

Edit: thinking about Ridley not playing VFL, reckon this was insurance in case Hooker didn’t come up. So not needed then, assuming he plays.

Out: Goddard Saad Fantasia
In: Dea Laverde Guelfi

Dea Hurley mcniece
Mckenna Francis Guelfi
Mcgrath Smith Heppell
Baguely Brown colyer
Tippa Hooker Stringer
Belly Z Merrett Myers
Langford Parish Zacka Laverde

1 Like

Quite the imagination you have there.

In: Guelfi, Dea
Out: Fantasia (Hamstring), Goddard (Knee)
B: Saad Hurley McNeice
HB: Mckenna Francis Dea
C: Guelfi Langford McGrath
HF: Merrett Brown Stringer
F: Baguley Hooker Tippa
R: Bellchambers Heppell Smith
Int: Zaharakis, Parish, Myers, Colyer
Emg: Laverde, Stewart, Long

if Saad Doesnt get up then Lav in midfield and Guelfi/McGrath to defence depending on matchups

I’d like some of our players to carry cardboard cutouts of other team members wearing our strip, so they will remember who to kick to on Friday night. (Mr Heppell, I’m looking at you!)

1 Like

There are several keys to stopping and beating Richmond. IMO it directs who should be coming into the side to replace the injured guys (Goddard, Raz and Saad).

• Recognise they have a small forward line, and react to it.

Have guys manning their smalls and not being sucked into the contest, to nullify the ball when it spills from Riewoldt marking contests. Losing Saad here hurts. But we should use Hurley to (try to) shut down Riewoldt, Francis as their next tallest, then McKenna, Dea, McNiece, McGrath and Guelfi to provide the small forward shut down roles. Important that they all keep on target, and then try and provide what run they can.

If Saad is fit then you move McGrath back into the midfield. But I don’t think he should play. Langford and Merrett were both shadows of themselves when they played the week after being concussed.

• Shutting down their intercept marking

This is a huge key to their success, and where they killed us both last times we’ve played them. Hooker has to go to Rance, and not as a forward, as a stopper. Brown then has to provide a chip up leading option, and Stringer make sure he provides a challenge in the air. Langford drifting forward also provides an aerial threat.

• On the MCG, do not allow loose defenders

Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond have all killed us doing this. At the G, allowing loose defenders means they have plenty of time to get the ball, set up and rebound. We need to make them all accountable. Bags and Walla are already good at this, but whoever else is forward must do so as well. IMO, I wouldn’t bring in Laverde. I’d bring in another midfielder who can just shut down a defender and add a bit to the midfield rotation. Whoever is playing best and is most accountable of Clarke, Mynott and Mutch. I’d also prefer Green over Laverde in this role.

If Laverde does come in, he needs to understand being accountable is his #1 task.

• Beat them in the midfield

Obviously our midfield has to beat theirs. Other than releasing McGrath to the backline to cover Saad, our midfield doesn’t have a single injury or missing player. Challenge them to take it up to the Tigers, working hard inside and outside to shut down options of theirs, and provide our own. If we can get it first, that reduces the impact of Martin and co.

• Don’t worry too much if you lose the midfield

If our guys down back can win out against their defence, even if we lose the midfield its not all doom and gloom. We need to use the MCG space to run and carry, and where necessary cut through and get back. Even without Raz and Saad, we still have McKenna, McNiece, McGrath off the backline, and Colyer, Zaharakis, Walla through the midfield. We need to use that pace to split them open and rebound strong. So even if we lose the midfield, shutting down Reiwoldt and their crumbers would then give us the chance to score ourselves and use the backline as a springboard.

We’re obviously not favourites, and Saad and Raz missing hurts as they both provide pressure and run, and it takes McGrath out of the midfield. Still, this is a chance to say we should be playing finals, and hopefully the boys take it.

Out: Goddard, Raz, Saad (all injured)
In: Dea, Guelfi, one of Clarke/Mynott/Mutch

11 Likes

Is Saad confirmed out?

you’re cooked bro

1 Like

Yeh, statistically very similar numbers between the 2 teams in round 11 although the Bombers had 9 marks to 15 in the F50, 72 to 59 clangers and 23% efficiency inside 50. Surprisingly, they had 56 inside 50’s to 59 but could only produce 13 shots on goal (in comparison - the Pies, on both occasions this year, had substantially less shots on goal so the Bombers did something right Dreamtime). Clearly, those numbers hurt the team most.

As highlighted already, Essendon were on an impressive run before the Tiges game this year so the Tiges primed themselves for the challenge. This time around, the psychology of the game is different. Yes, the Tiges would like to keep their MCG run alive but they’ve secured top spot and could potentially go into preservation mode (doubt it) + the Dons go in as a rank / weakened outsider. Maybe, just maybe the Tiges take this game lightly and are off 5-10% giving Essendon a sniff?

I think Essendon’s best chance for an unlikely win is to be thereabouts at 3 quarter time. With the Tiges thinking they’ll run away with it in the last, it’s the Bombers who have all the run and win the contest by 18 #ropeadope. Or, the Dons put on a blistering burst in the first half and hold the Tiges at Bay for the rest of the game #dreamingIknow

2 Likes

No he is not

1 Like

Usually I am against playing guys week after concussions. Dea/Zerrett i wanted them to miss, they didnt look themselves on the bench, zerrett had a few other previous knocks too and could have saved him from travelling to Freo etc. Heppell given he was a midfielder, thought could have a rest.

I think Saady will be alright, in bygone days he probably would have went back out and completed the match. Think might be more of a risk to play Goddard with his knee. (Although i wanted him to come back on last week, not that it mattered.

Biggest thing for Saady is we need to give him the ball early so he can run and bounce and get confidence up

Give goddard a week off.
Send Hooker forward create a tall forward presence, engage Rance, otherwise he will slaughter us, like that hack with the mullet at hawthorn did.
Dea comes back to play on a medium/small.

Minus Fantasia and Daniher we are close to our best lineup,

Let’s just bring Daniher in and plonk him in the goal square.

No?!

1 Like

PLONK n CLUNK

Kickin goals til the early morn

1 Like

WE
ARE
GOING
TO
WIN

3 Likes

It took the whole of the first quarter for us to realise StKilda have a small forward line and react by sending Hooker forward.
Hopefully the team will strategise for it , train for it, and select for it in the case of Richmond and not line up with an extra tall in defence.

Good as Hooker is down back, its critically important that he is not exposed for pace on a big ground like the G. In that respect, Brown or Francis have speed and good marking ability and are OK tall & medium defenders respectively.