Round 23 Discussion. Farewell BJ

Deliberately losing to improve draft position is Carlton thinking. And look where that thinking has got them now.

6 Likes

if the board wasn’t presided by cowards and we wore collared jumpers we would’ve won.

1 Like

Yes you are correct. We are a better side than Port. We need to finish the year off strong and send a good message to potential suitors.

8 Likes

Spot on. And as Brasha said, tanking is not an attractive quality for potential players.

That being said, I think given the way we took things up to Richmond last night (not the perfect game but we didn’t let them run over us) would go a long way in attracting good talent.

1 Like

I don’t think whether we win or lose our last game is going to be a put off to any potential suitor, that’s not what they make their decision on.

1 Like

Yes but it show what character of players we have at the club

4 Likes

Oh we could very well lose. But it’s the effort involved. If we go out there with no real intent to win, it really could be offputting to be honest.

1 Like

Totally disagree, players are realistic about last games of the season when you are out of the finals. They will have already been sold on the merits of the club over the preceding half of the season and where they might fit in.

1 Like

Fair enough, difference of opinion I suppose.

I’d be disappointed if we ranked for draft picks.

Smith said last night that they’d found their identity. Hoping taking the easy road isn’t that.

As mentioned above, don’t want to be like Melbourne or Carlton.

1 Like

Lose we let North in.
Win we let Port in.

Meh. I just wanna win by enjoying good football. We should beat them, even with their home ground prob worth what 3 goals to them?

For those worried about us maintaining a strong Draft position now that we can’t make the 8, I used Squiggle to calculate what it would take to pass Port on percentage…

Ess 109
PA 65

I’m happy to embarrass them, but let’s keep it just under 7 goals.

10 Likes

yeah they can crap on about how they’ve found their character, or purpose or identity some more if they win, that’ll prove something i guess.

lets hope they don’t lose or forget it over the next 6 months so it doesn’t have to take another 10 weeks into next year to find again.

1 Like

Might be actually worth ‘playing the kids’ though?

Did I ever tell anyone the story of when “koshies a wanker” rang out round the crowd during the support act for a u2 concert.
You know you’re a ■■■■ when people think you’re a bigger ■■■■■■■ than Kanye.

1 Like

If we were to win then that would give us a win in 5 States this year. It’s a shame we didn’t play Hawthorn in Tassie!

Yes, I tried the same thing, it is also around the margin, a 46 point win by us which would give us the same number of wins and percentage as we had last year and finished 7th.

Ironically this time Melbourne will get to glide into the 8 on percentage even if they lose their last 3 matches for the year and have beaten no one in the 8, where we can still finish level on games with them, having beaten 4 of the top 8 and maybe 2 of the top 4 and finishing between 9th and 12th.

To show what a strange season it is, Swans will make the top 4 if they beat the Hawks at the SCG next week and two days ago we were talking about us slipping in ahead of them on percentage into the 8.

A crazy year where a poor game or simply how the AFL have rigged the draft can completely change the outcome.

Hell yeah, it’s hunting season. Coming for you Koshie.

So with Melbourne winning, Port now can’t make finals at all. Even if they win on Friday?

1 Like

They now need GC to turn the Cats over.

Wow, they’ve stunk it up big time. Imagine losing 5 of the last 6 and the one that’d really bite was losing to Freo. They are ripe for the picking next week