Round 4 vs Crows Preview and Changes

Don’t know what to expect on Sunday

Would love for this team to be like “enough is enough” and demolish Adelaide but we don’t have attitude and mind set to achieve that no killer instinct in this team too many nice guys

We will just scrap/fight and win by under a goal

2 Likes

Friend if mine said we will be 0-7 I have a lunch bet on it. Funny I read this

I’m not going in expecting a win at all

This game could really go either way.

2 Likes

This is a game I penciled in a for win before the season started but from what I’ve witnessed in the the first 3 rounds this game is now a genuine 50/50 game.

3 Likes

After watching Melbourne v Bombers, and Cats 4th. quarter against the Pies, the lesson to be learnt from those two experienced, 2021 finalists is the need to look to kick the ball to rather than bombing the ball into the forward line expecting someone to mark the ball or shark it for a kick on goal. Demons and Cats look for someone to kick it to, working it down the ground to allow a forward to mark the ball within kicking distance of goal. No rushing, just good, concentrated football. If 2MP doesn’t mark the ball, the opposition easily move it out of our forward line. Again, those two sides know how to defend well and set up ball movement down the ground without rushing. Cameron (G) and Weideman(M) were well served by the ball coming into them cleanly most of the time.

Team for next Sunday. Love it if Tippa could play, but is he ready yet, or another run in the VFL?
Kelly BZT Laverde
Hind Stewart Ridley
Martin Shiel Durham
Perkins Ryan Stringer
Waterman Wright McGrath

Phillips Parish Caldwell

Heppell Hobbs Cutler Wanga

Voss Baldwin Guelfi Redman

2 Likes

I’m just glad the preseason is finally over and we can get into the real thing.

5 Likes

IMO he needs a couple more runs in the VFL, but it was great to see him out there and hope he is not to far away…

1 Like

Main thing with Walla is he didn’t seem lose his trade mark game senses.

Thats the one thing I was worried about

1 Like

Don’t get the idea of dropping Draper. Thought he did well against Brisbane. The guy is ultimately still young and inconsistent. Think he just lost his way in the game playing with another ruckman.

Albeit Phillips was amazing last week, I’d like Bryan to take his spot. No point having Draper and Phillips develop a ruck partnership when Phillips has maybe 1-2 years lefts if that. Bryan just needs games at this point, and I like what I’m seeing in the 2’s from the guy

1 Like

OUT : Ham, Phillips
IN: Hobbs(Debut), Cox

Team;-

b: Laverde Stewart Kelly
hb; Redman Ridley Hind
c: Durham Shiel Martin
hf: Stringer Cox Perkins
f:Caldwell 2MP Wanganeen

r: Draper McGrath Parish

Bench: Hobbs, Heppel, Guelfi, Cutler
SUB: Waterman

Emg: Waterman, Bryan, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Zerk-Thatcher

think snelling and tippa will be at a minimum a week away.

we won’t see Francis or Smith as they are injured and didn’t play VfL

If Cox doesn’t get up Bryan to play or Phillips stays in. (Prefer Bryan this week due to development)

Reward our VFL best and made them emergencies with Hobbs getting his chance.

If Snelling is right, Hobbs misses out again.

1 Like

I love Drapes, and agree with most of what you’ve said (with a view to the future).

However Draper definitely did not play well against Brisbane. A few nice taps but otherwise contributed absolutely nothing.
Played the same amount of game time as Phillips.

I wouldn’t be against giving him a week off as a little “wake up” call, then get him back in for Phillips the following week.

Speak for yourself.

1 Like

Ham can run all day and night without any effect. At least with Guelfi we know he will apply some physical pressure, something Ham appears to be allergic to. Waterman will kick the goals Ham isn’t capable of.

6 Likes

No. I’m speaking for you too.

1 Like

one thing waterman can do is kick goals

Ham or Guelfi struggle to kick goals that Waterman would nail.

That said I have him just outside the 22 and emergency this week.

as they will only make one or two changes this week.

1 Like

I know you’re not talking him up, but for a guy we hear “runs all day” it’s a surprise that he never seems to be in the top5 on the ground.

2 Likes

I think that’s more due to his position/role he is playing this year.

back in 2019 he was one of our best distance runners when on the wing.

Distance kings – average distance covered per match (minimum of two matches in 2019)
Ham’s sample size is small, given he has played only two games. But his endurance and running capacity is strong as a wingman.

1. Brayden Ham: 14.82km per match
  2. Dyson Heppell: 14.52km per match
  3. Mitch Brown: 14.12km per match

But Cox, Durham, Martin can run just as far and better with the ball/ decision making for wing role.

1 Like

Very small sample size, but still, that’s exactly it.

He can run, but no better than plenty of others on our list, many of whom are far better than him at other aspects of football.

Hell, Peter Wright covered 15km the other week.

4 Likes

Heppell (managed), Ham (cannon), Draper.
Hobbs, BZK, Bryan.

3 Likes

I’d approve this.