Round 8 Essendon v Footscray @ Whitten Oval, 7pm Friday 9 June 2017

Footscray were trying really hard to lose it in that last quarter, repeatedly fluffing easy marks and disposals in their forward fifty. But they couldn’t hold back the tide of the umps.

Goals: McKernan 4, Merrett 3, Begley, Long, Boyse
Disposals: Hocking 29, Langford 26, Merrett 23, Dea 22, Mutch 22

10 Likes

Yeah, sorry about last quarter and a bit of bullshit :rage:

Nothing wrong with a bit of inarticulate sputtering from time to time.

1 Like

According to what’s been reported here Langford’s Qtr by Qtr stats were:
Q1 8
Q2 7
Q3 6
Q4 5
Total 26

Faded a bit, but pretty consistent effort. Interesting to know if it will be enough to get elevated yet.

1 Like

Doggies did win the VFL flag last year

Haven’t made so many LOUD NOISES in a car since that night when Davey and Gumby both got injured at training. That one was two hours of swearing on the way to Taggerty.

1 Like

@barnz
Surely the result will be affected moreso by how many ciggies Peos has during the game, and when he has them ?

2 Likes

I thought it had more to do with when he went for a slash??

#MagicalThinking

Smack adds 3 goals a game on avg to our afl team, 1 of his own and multiple assists.

2 Likes

The defence was very good I thought. Ferry dominated the big guys and got the ball to ground, while the little guys charged back with good numbers to mop it up.

Ridley got better as the match went along IMO. Very neat with his short kicking over say 20m. Composed. Looks a little more solid now, but his limbs are soooo long - his shorts looked like they were pulled up like Harry Highpants, but I think it is just an optical illusion caused by the fact that his legs are so long!

Maybe a salami or two

So many missed chances to get that one extra goal… and the chances we did take were over-ruled by some ump not watching the play.

Dea — good game. The slippery conditions suited him, and he was willing to go in hard.

Ridley — I preferred last week. But he is a smooth mover for a tall.

Merrett — mid and forward

Hocking — early did a bit back then midfield most of the rest. Good stuff. Should have kicked another of our winning goals at the end, had more time than he thought.

McNeice — did well, I’m sure the usual culprits will be along to tell us of his elite kicking skills. That top-of-pole poster from fifty just before three-quarter-time could have blown the game apart.

Mutch — four frees for high contact. They weren’t subtle.

Langford — was our clear BOG in the first half, before slipping a bit

Long — FFS so many highlights offset by horrendous stuff-ups FFS

Begley — was one of our better players, very high forward

Francis — didn’t achieve much as a forward, but as a force of nature and agitator… that last quarter play where he took on every player ever on the way to set up the goal to put us in front was epic.

Redman — half-back first half, switched forward in the third and was really good that quarter. Hopefully he’s turned the corner for the season.

McKernan — was our forward line. Sadly, could easily have ended up with 8 goals rather than 4, despite a slow start.

Draper — mostly deep forward. Took a few marks when up around the ground; I really hope the last one gets put up by the club. Comes from behind on the wing, chest-surfs over the opponent and clunks while horizontal.

Leuenberger — can’t say we won the day against Campbell and Redpath, especially away from the throw-ups.

Clarke — forward and mid

Stanton — back and wing. Nothing substantial, if only he’d held that mark over the line in one grab at the end…

Morgan — defence. I still rate him a bit over the general opinion.

Did not play: Bird Luxford Younan Darby Hind

Ferry was a stand-out at full back. I know he’s a middling size, but I still say WSPHU.

Boyse had a quiet one. I continue to struggle to see Heppell sans hair. Will Berry was alright in his 23rd man debut.

23 Likes

If you’re not on the club’s payroll, you should be!

Love your work.

EFC summary, even includes the final score that I never gave, in disgust.

Essendon VFL has suffered its fifth loss of the season, going down in a thriller against Footscray at VU Whitten Oval on Friday night.

The match came down to the wire with the margin was no more than four points for the final eight minutes. It was the Dogs who came out on top beating the Bombers by four points at the final siren.

Jordan Ridley was a standout in defence, taking 12 marks in his second game back after a back problem had sidelined him for three months.

Shaun McKernan was dominant in front of goals, kicking four for the Dons. He has kicked 15 goals in the VFL this season.

Heath Hocking was again a major ball winner, finishing with 29 disposals, four marks and six tackles.

Essendon started slowly, giving the Dogs a 20 point lead at quarter time. They fought hard in the second term to reduce the margin to 13 points.

The third quarter was when the Bombers got the game back on their terms, booting three goals to take a three point lead.

Footscray was too strong in the end, claiming a four point victory over the Bombers.

Essendon 10.9.69

Footscray 10.13.73

2 Likes

29 on the club stats FWIW.

1 Like

Ridley sounds very exciting

2 really exciting longer term projects in him and Draper, Redman coming on, all hope not lost for Morgan, Langford continually excellent… Can we get excited by the youth now???

1 Like

There was one stage where Begley made about 4 repeat efforts and won the footy. The kid is an animal. I was pleased to see Hocking and Jerrett find some form. Thought they were right up there in the bests as was Dea who looked the same assured defender we saw in the AFL before he missed the Giants game.

Langford another solid hitout and Draper is beginning to build very nicely. His confidence is building as he realises he can make an impact. For someone who hasn’t played too much footy he has amazing potential.

11 Likes

Cheers for the reports, shame about the result. Fair to say that those who pressed most for senior selection are Langford, Smack, Dea, Hocking & Jerrett?

Like this? Yum! P.S. The Jim Wong’s had plenty of filling but were disappointingly cold. The chips looked good, they also had pies, some sort of wrap thing and doughnuts. Selection of beer included Peroni, Corona and a couple of CUB offerings.

1 Like