Round 8 v Tiggers @ Punt Road Oval - 4pm Saturday 28th May

This is the only game of this VFL round, and rolls straight into the AFL game next door afterwards.

The captains for both teams (Coghlan, and Sam Darley) have been named in the 25 to represent Victoria versus SA on the weekend instead.

VFL coach Matthew Egan said it was a reward for the Bombers skipper who has taken his game to another level this season.

“We are rapt for Cogs and he deserves it to be honest, he continues to get better every year,” Egan said.

“It’s been great to see him take a leadership role this year at the club and still perform game day – sometimes leadership can burden players a little but he has excelled.

“He had a really good season last year and he has extended himself further this year. He started the season a little bit slow, but his last four weeks have been outstanding.”

Coghlan, in his first year as Essendon captain, is averaging 20 disposals a game and registered his 50-game milestone two weeks ago.

“He’s a really good inside midfielder but he is developing his game in other areas as well, he has shown that he can play forward and back,” Egan said.

“He is one of the hardest workers on his game; he’s never satisfied with where he’s at and is always looking to improve.

“He drives good standards at training because players want to follow his lead and it doesn’t surprise us as coaches why he continues to get better.”

Who’s the captain then? Schroder?

Who's the captain then? Schroder?

I’d go for Snoopy, Linus or even Lucy before Schroder.

Fail to understand why this game couldn’t have been scheduled as the curtainraiser to the dreamtime game at the MCG.
Would have created a great atmosphere.

Who's the captain then? Schroder?
I'd go for Snoopy, Linus or even Lucy before Schroder.
Lucy sells some mean candy to the yella-un-black when she has the ball. And now she has the team sheet.

Might be a bit short on mids, cos I am hoping Hams gets an upgrade. We really need fanatical ball winners in the AFL team.
If so, its an opportunity for Wallis to step up and Peart to develop further after his debut last week.
No excuses, the Franga needs to assert himself and show the selectors what he can do.

Fail to understand why this game couldn't have been scheduled as the curtainraiser to the dreamtime game at the MCG. Would have created a great atmosphere.

Because… the AFL.

For those who haven’t noticed, the start time has been moved forward to 4pm from 4.40pm.

What does it cost to get into an away VFL game?
Also, I assume you can drink tins?

$10 general admission, $5 away members or seniors, kids free. Tins will be available near the NE entry.

$10 general admission, $5 away members or seniors, kids free. Tins will be available near the NE entry.

What a time to be alive!

The best was in 2013…found a VFL membership card on the ground…

Watched a lot of VFL that year

The best was in 2013...found a VFL membership card on the ground..

Watched a lot of VFL that year

So that’s where my card ended up.

Backs
77. J Freezer
10. St Francis
79. B Laguna — named in the 22, note new #23 below (yes, typo is per the VFL listing)

Half backs
14. J Ashby
56. S Michael
20. J Merrett

Centres
38. N Kommer
41. W Hams
59. A Heppell

Half forwards
67. J Langford
54. S Grimley
27. M Redman

Forwards — needs more excitement…
45. C McKenna
35. Y Eades
34. J Long

Rucks
52. M Jamar
69. J Schroder
57. B McNiece — both of our dominant HBFs are named in the midfield

Interchange — four to be selected
72. J El Moussalli — named in the 22, note new #23 below
60. S Heavyside
75. A Mcleod
46. T Wallis — back from rest
44. S McKernan — back from injury (?)
65. D Willis
58. I Muller
73. C Peart — has to be playing after last week’s debut

23rd Player
76. N Holmes

Info on our #23:

We've signed Nash Holmes (180, 74kg) from Gippsland Power, he was a tough inside mid when I last saw him in 2014. He was named in the TAC Team of the Year last season.

First few minutes of this video not too complimentary, but it gets better. He has a frame, he won’t stay at 74kg long (presumably is already past that).

Also, with commentary from Gach:

AFL biography: Hard working medium midfielder whose contested ball winning ability as well as his tackling pressure are features of his game. Very smart around goals, generally being first to move using his footy smarts. Averaged 16 possessions and 3.8 inside 50s in six matches at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

“With Nash, what you see is what you get. He’s a really honest kid and a really honest player. If you ask him what his best attribute is he’ll say hard work and that’s exactly right.”

• Peter Francis, Gippsland Power talent manager

“He’s really competitive, you never have to worry about that side of things with Nash. His contested ball stuff is really good and he’s fit. He can keep running.”

• Leigh Brown, Gippsland Power coach

So i’ll be attending. Anyone else? Am I right in remembering it sold out last year?

So i'll be attending. Anyone else? Am I right in remembering it sold out last year?
I think you’re remembering the pre-season AFL match?

The ground does has distinctly limited capacity though.

does anyone know if this game will be televised/streamed???