Round 9: bring on the bloods and buddy

All I see are grey clouds.

Someone stole the silver lining.

I think I have a case of football depression.

Please EFC, can we have a glimpse of blue sky?

A thing I would like to see in for next week is more of that aggression shown by Carlisle. While the way it was expressed wasn’t great but I was thrilled he showed some mongrel and fight. There is no one on this forum that can say he didn’t give a ■■■■ this week and I feel he is taking small steps forward into working himself in the game, I don’t expect him to set the world on fire but it was good to see him fire up at something. Hopefully next week this translates to crashing a pack or two or a really awesome contested mark. I think he can make it just needs more time. And yes I am well aware if how much of a cliche that is. But for the first time this year I actually believe it.

Also I feel like one thing we are missing is shepherding. Watched 5 or 6 minutes of the port game and noted 3 belong laid as they ran the ball out of defense and I can’t remember any from our last few weeks I feel like its kinda what we are missing as too many players are looking for that handball or short kick as we flick it around trying to find someone free as apposed to creating a bit of space by giving our players a yard or 3 on their opponent.

A thing I would like to see in for next week is more of that aggression shown by Carlisle. While the way it was expressed wasn't great but I was thrilled he showed some mongrel and fight. There is no one on this forum that can say he didn't give a **** this week and I feel he is taking small steps forward into working himself in the game, I don't expect him to set the world on fire but it was good to see him fire up at something. Hopefully next week this translates to crashing a pack or two or a really awesome contested mark. I think he can make it just needs more time. And yes I am well aware if how much of a cliche that is. But for the first time this year I actually believe it.
Also I feel like one thing we are missing is shepherding. Watched 5 or 6 minutes of the port game and noted 3 belong laid as they ran the ball out of defense and I can't remember any from our last few weeks I feel like its kinda what we are missing as too many players are looking for that handball or short kick as we flick it around trying to find someone free as apposed to creating a bit of space by giving our players a yard or 3 on their opponent.

I haven't seen Essendon lay a shepherd in years. No exaggeration.

In: Myers, Howlett, Hardingham

Out: Chapman (susp), Zerrett, Gleeson (both omitted)

EDIT: Should be Jerrett, not Zerrett.

Hooker seems the ideal match up for Tippett and Hurley likewise for Buddy given how good he is below his knees rather than contest marking.

Fletcher should give Reid a bath.

Carlisle’s little hissy fit I enjoyed. Didn’t cost us anything, and I’m happy for him to try anything in order to find his way out of this hole.

Perhaps unfairly then I felt that Dempsey’s hissy fit was dumb. Your a defender lad, you’ve got to keep your emotions in check or it’ll cost your team.

Franklin to kick 10. On today’s form were no chance.

The cold hard facts are that while Tbell is out we are screwd, our best hope is that he returns after the break and strings some games together.

Buddy has killed everyone who we have tried to match him with over the past 7 years.
Yes , he even has a couple of 5 goal hauls against Hooker.
So it will be interesting to see how Hurls goes.
And please don't try to tell me Hurls won't pick him up, because I've been right every single farkin time I've given you guys the match-ups in recent time.
I picked the exact match ups on ANZAC Day.
I told LWM last week that the WB wouldn't play Liam Jones in defence.
And I'm telling you numbskulls that Hurley will take Buddy, Hooker is ideally matched to Tippett, and Fletch can take the next best (whether that be Goodes or Reid).
Unless our midfield intensity improves markedly, and some of our mids find form, and we play with a little more dare, then we won't have a chance next week.
Sydney won't play sh*thouse, but I don't know what we will produce.
I'd love to be positive, but I can't see us putting 120 mins together of the kind of football that beats a Top 4/5 side.
Not at the moment anyway.
It looks like 4 - 5 going into the Bye, and then Dreamtime after the break.

I will disagree with your match ups. This is one week where we need to be creative and give Fletch a bigger job. I would go Hooker vS Buddy, Fletcher on Tippett and Hurley on Reid and Hibberd on Goodes. It's more likely that the Swans will play three talls so there will be some interchanging of positions.

Buddy has killed everyone who we have tried to match him with over the past 7 years.
Yes , he even has a couple of 5 goal hauls against Hooker.
So it will be interesting to see how Hurls goes.
And please don't try to tell me Hurls won't pick him up, because I've been right every single farkin time I've given you guys the match-ups in recent time.
I picked the exact match ups on ANZAC Day.
I told LWM last week that the WB wouldn't play Liam Jones in defence.
And I'm telling you numbskulls that Hurley will take Buddy, Hooker is ideally matched to Tippett, and Fletch can take the next best (whether that be Goodes or Reid).
Unless our midfield intensity improves markedly, and some of our mids find form, and we play with a little more dare, then we won't have a chance next week.
Sydney won't play sh*thouse, but I don't know what we will produce.
I'd love to be positive, but I can't see us putting 120 mins together of the kind of football that beats a Top 4/5 side.
Not at the moment anyway.
It looks like 4 - 5 going into the Bye, and then Dreamtime after the break.

I will disagree with your match ups. This is one week where we need to be creative and give Fletch a bigger job. I would go Hooker vS Buddy, Fletcher on Tippett and Hurley on Reid and Hibberd on Goodes. It's more likely that the Swans will play three talls so there will be some interchanging of positions.

Thanks for you input, but I think you are wrong.
Don't see why Fletch should take Sydney's biggest, strongest, and best contested mark forward, when you have Hooker in career best form.
Surely, we all want to see how Hurls will go on Buddy.
It was so obvious last week that Hurley was the ideal match-up for Crameri.
An opponent for Buddy is never obvious, because the guy is freak footballer.
Given Hooker will be busy with a more suitable match-up, Hurley has the tools to do a reasonable job, assuming our mids lift their work rate next week.
I'd expect the Swans will play Buddy out of the square, and try to clear the area for him.
Similar to what the Saints did.
However, Buddy doesn't have Roo's aerobic ability for repeat leads.Nor is he as strong aerially.
Honestly, stop thinking outside the square.
The match ups are so obvious this week !

We'll win this, we've been saving ourselves for the past 2 weeks.

Lid off!

edit- and fark carlton

Arguably, Buddy shouldnt even be playing.  Interesting how there's been zero publicity about his high bump on a player bending over the footy.  if the sunday footy shows dont cover i'll start to wonder.........

i think at least one of zach or marty will play.  Bomber has kept faith in the "kids" as a group all year and what little spark we've had in the last month has generally come from them.    Gleeson was poor, but i wouldn't be surprised if he gets another run at all.

A thing I would like to see in for next week is more of that aggression shown by Carlisle. While the way it was expressed wasn't great but I was thrilled he showed some mongrel and fight. There is no one on this forum that can say he didn't give a **** this week and I feel he is taking small steps forward into working himself in the game, I don't expect him to set the world on fire but it was good to see him fire up at something. Hopefully next week this translates to crashing a pack or two or a really awesome contested mark. I think he can make it just needs more time. And yes I am well aware if how much of a cliche that is. But for the first time this year I actually believe it.
Also I feel like one thing we are missing is shepherding. Watched 5 or 6 minutes of the port game and noted 3 belong laid as they ran the ball out of defense and I can't remember any from our last few weeks I feel like its kinda what we are missing as too many players are looking for that handball or short kick as we flick it around trying to find someone free as apposed to creating a bit of space by giving our players a yard or 3 on their opponent.

You call it aggression, I call it frustration. Aggression to me is crashing a pack or laying a hard sheppered, not rag-dolling some kid and giving away 50.
If last night was a final and he had done that, everyone would be going mental and losing their ■■■■■.
One thing I will say though is that at halftime he was talking to Bomber and looked like he was really listening to him and buying what he was saying, then Joe came over and joined in and gave Carlisle a handshake (the ones this generation does) and that was the first time I actually thought this season that he may want to be up there.

I want to see this score at half time

Essendon 10. 6 . 66

but I know, it will likely be our Final Score :frowning:

i think at least one of zach or marty will play. Bomber has kept faith in the "kids" as a group all year and what little spark we've had in the last month has generally come from them. Gleeson was poor, but i wouldn't be surprised if he gets another run at all.

I wouldn't be dropping Z.Merrett either.
Didn't have a hell of a lot of the ball but he was damaging with atleast 3 of them (2 goals and that beautiful pass to Paddy who then sealed the game).
Just showed a glimpse of what we will see in a year or two when he is more developed and has a bigger tank and larger frame.
Going to be a gun.

I want to see this score at half time
Essendon 10. 6 . 66
but I know, it will likely be our Final Score :-(

Theres every chance it will be both

If Joe Dan grabs some marks within 20m of the goals it will more likely be 6.10

Bellchambers won't play.... no point including him in the clubs ins for this week.

Franklin and Tippett are due for second week blues. Our backline are a better match for them than the undersized Hawks.

Hooker to Tippett

Hurley to Ryder

Fletcher to Goodes?