Ruck Situation - List Management

I think Flip should be shown the door or retired.
His games need to be passed on to Bryan next year (assuming he doesn’t want to leave).

I’d pick a ruckman through the rookie draft to develop. Whether that’s a category B rookie or normal rookie, I’m not fussed. It’ll give us time to develop him without really impacting on overall senior list spots. We should be using one rookie spot on a ruckman constantly until they worthy to be upgraded or delisted.

I also think we need a forward who pinch hits as ruck (unless the new kid Hunter can do that).
I’ve always thought we have too many ‘talls’ on our list so if that means Baldwin or Voss find new homes, then so be it.

The ruck position should be the one spot that can gain you draft collateral. You should be able to bring them through as rookies and trade them on for a second round or third round pick when they mature. It’s an avenue we don’t really use greatly.

1 Like

Played footy against Williams old man. CHF/Ruck. Big unit who kicked goals from 70 metres!!!
Would love him. Hustwaite from hawks. Same with his father. Gun. Same team and would love him too.

2 Likes

Not sure why we’re not pumping games into Bryan? He looks an absolute gun at VFL level and Flip is clearly going to retire or not be offered a contract at the end of the year - he was basically coaxed out of retiring last year. Sure Bryan is young, but I don’t see him offering anything LESS than what Flip has done bar a couple of games this year. Been the most baffling decision selection-wise all year for me. Well, that and Voss not getting a single look in. I hope we’re at least pumping Bryan up as a serious chance to play most games next year, or I can’t see him staying.

2 Likes

Clearly talented kid.
Can play forward and back.
Contracted.
Not getting a game.

IMG_6864

4 Likes

TDK … . Go all out to get him.

1 Like

I’m suddenly all about a future fourth and GC paying half the salary for Chol.

4 Likes

Bryan is a no.1 ruckman or nothing.

IMO he’ll seek a trade at the end of the year, or next year.

Did Naismith get picked up in the msd?

I would think he could take flip’s spot on the list as backup

As to Bryan, it feels like he has been on the list a while but he is only 21

2 Likes

If Bryan doesn’t stay on the list for 1 or 2 more years then what is the point in ever drafting ruckmen? Phillips is the perfect backup journeyman ruck really. Cost us nothing to get and prob on not much coin. I can imagine Phillips goes around again but Bryan has to go past him next year surely. If Weideman doesn’t work out, I would also go for Chol as forward/ruck. Think he would suit us fine.

1 Like

He’s physical, he puts his big frame in the way.
Thats why TDK infringed on him a couple of times last game, 1 of which resulted in a valuable goal.

I doubt Bryan could have provided as much in the last qtr against NM in a close one also.

Having said that, i hope to see them as a tandem this week.

2 Likes

I would love us to try Cox in in the ruck. Hes already shown alot of strength at afl level in marking contests. Hopefully that transfers over to ruck contests

3 Likes

I’m expecting we will trade Bryan / he himself seeking possibility of more opportunity long term

His “potential” would be what other clubs seeing, how he may be rated internally with how competes against Draper/Phillips may mean we are happy to cash in on clubs looking to pry out

There may already be suitors, GC coming after again maybe. Some would say why would he go there over staying with us, more about the nearer chances of becoming #1 ruck. That won’t happen with us given Drapers age

Could be some interesting movements ruckwise. If WC manages to lure English across then Dogs would be keen for someone immediately etc

Darcy might leave Freo for Cats adding another after English

I think the market for rucks might be pretty hot end of year

Draper + Phillips going around again + drag another ruck from elsewhere who is happy to play 2nd/3rd fiddle may be the way to go.

1 Like

Ye atm, but Bryan is still young and should be improving. He should be hoping to improve over the next year or 2 and force his way into the team, i dont think he would deserve a #1 spot at any other club.

Thing about Bryan, is that we’re not going to trade him for a pick we won’t use.
And he’s going to be second ruck next year elsewhere, as he will be with us.
And we can match.
It would be a difficult decision for him to leave.

Have you watched Cox in the VFL this year? Nowhere near strong enough to ruck. Imagine him against someone like Nankervis, Lycett, Gawn or MCINERNEY.

ive only seen him in the one game. he looks ok physically. just a bit rusty. cant get his hands on the ball enough. i reckon it would be worth trialling at vfl level

Yep.
Needs opportunities more than anything.
Whether we keep Phillips or not, I’d want Bryan to be the # 2 going forward.

2 Likes

With the recent rule changes and modern trends in footy, Ruck is back again as one of the most important personnel/positions on the ground. 666 means centre clearance is a big scoring opportunity as your forwards are 1v1. Zone defences, given time to set up, become impregnable, making a contested pack mark to the kick down the line vital. I think we will see clubs investing more, and more list spots, to ruckmen in the coming years. Currently we have 3, Draper, Phillips and Bryan. We need another one, and not a developing skinny bloke like Bryan, but another seasoned, big strong ruck that can at least compete with the best.

1 Like

With list sizes being reduced I don’t reckon you can afford to carry 4 ruckmen on your list. I reckon 3 should be the maximum and your cover beyond that needs to be genuine tall forwards who can go in there when required.

2 Likes