Rucks

Is Giles going to get a game against the Bulldogs ???

Look Paul, Jon’s a quality person…

Hopefully we will see that on Sunday,I would like to see Mckernan in the forward line as a resting ruck and Giles as our first Ruck, I believe Giles should get a chance,that way we will at least see if we do need to look elsewhere for a ruckman,perhaps Hickey from the saints I believe he is out of contract at years end

Look Paul, Jon's a quality person...

“Jonathon is a contracted player and plays a very important role for this football club”

Gillies

Look Paul, Jon's a quality person...

“Jonathon is a contracted player and plays a very important role for this football club”

There’s some deliverables that we’ve asked of Jonathon to deliver but I can’t tell you what we’ve asked for him to deliver or if he’s delivered it. And if he has delivered it then he has to show that he can deliver them consistently. And no I can’t tell you how many games he has to deliver the deliverables that I can’t tell you about. These things take time and the deliverables one team expects a player to deliver can be quite different to the deliverables that we demand are consistenly delivered at this club.

Always forget these threads at the end of the year when doing awards.

At the last VFL match I was at, Hirdy was there , the football manager and 3 of the senior assistants were there , its not like they are not basing decisions on reports made by CW in the Age or rolling dice in a vacuum…

Look big Jon’s working on the defensive side of his game in the reserves and he’ll get his chance at some stage down the track. Right now we are drilling in to him that when the opposition ruck jumps on his head and puts it down the opposition onballers throat, we’re teaching big Jon to run like hell to the backline.

I heard Jonathon is going into the pie business.

Hirdy and the coaching staff are very worried about speed if we play both Smack and Giles. Hirds words in the presser.
If we play both Smack and Giles we are worried about been to tall in the fwd line, leaving us unable to apply enough defensive pressure to keep the ball in there.

To me this is fair enough. I think the coaches are making the right decisions based on what we are been told.

This is also why we didn’t play Belly and another ruckman earlier in the year. Belly was not fit enough to be the no 1. ruck but he was the best we had in the hitout department.

If we play both and Smack and Giles who comes out of the fwd line?
I get pretty sick of people saying bring such and such in with no thought on who comes out and what it will do for team balance.

I for one certainly would not be dropping smack for Giles. Even though he loses the taps his pretty quick to lay a tackle or receive a handball. Plus he can get a few kicks around the ground. Giles may win more taps but he is no where near as mobile.
Its a difficult situation for the coaching staff, and one I don’t envy.

I think long term JD has to become our 2nd pinch hit ruckman. He gets pushed around a bit in there at the moment but as he adds size he will become much better.

Long term though we need a good no 1 ruck. As much as I like Smack he is not it, he is just isn’t tall enough. If you are only 196 you need to have a big leap Smack doesn’t have this either.

The poor bugger is stuck in no mans land not quiet good enough to be a fwd pinch hitting ruck and not big enough to be a no. 1 ruck.

As for Giles and bellchambers, both need to improve there tanks and fitness. Its not Belly’s fault he came into the season underdone but it hurt us big time.

Giles on the other-hand I am unsure I thought he may have been ready made but it seams that he isn’t and needs time to improve his fitness etc.

If you are that big and slow you need to be able to ruck 90% of game time. Jacobs, Sandi, Mummy, Goldy.

I hate to state the obvious but we really miss a good mobile no 1. ruckman

FARK YOU PADDY RYDER

Hirdy and the coaching staff are very worried about speed if we play both Smack and Giles. Hirds words in the presser. If we play both Smack and Giles we are worried about been to tall in the fwd line, leaving us unable to apply enough defensive pressure to keep the ball in there.

To me this is fair enough. I think the coaches are making the right decisions based on what we are been told.

This is also why we didn’t play Belly and another ruckman earlier in the year. Belly was not fit enough to be the no 1. ruck but he was the best we had in the hitout department.

I get pretty sick of people saying bring such and such in with no thought on who comes out and what it will do for team balance.

I for one certainly would not be dropping smack for Giles. Even though he loses the taps his pretty quick to lay a tackle or receive a handball. Plus he can get a few kicks around the ground. Giles may win more taps but he is no where near as mobile.

I think long term JD has to become our 2nd pinch hit ruckman. He gets pushed around a bit in there at the moment but as he adds size he will become much better.

Long term though we need a good no 1 ruck. As much as I like Smack he is not it, he is just isn’t tall enough. If you are only 196 you need to have a big leap Smack doesn’t have this either.

The poor bugger is stuck in no mans land not quiet good enough to be a fwd pinch hitting ruck and not big enough to be a no. 1 ruck.

AMBROSE

10 minutes to go, and Blitz will know whether to stage a coup d’etat or collectively say " this should have happened 6 weeks ago"

When people say we are worried about the negative of Giles slowness compared to the potential positive of his clearance work.

I don’t get the worried bit.

What are we worried about? Worried we might lose?

Last ten posts suddenly pointless. Be careful what you ask for!

Hirdy and the coaching staff are very worried about speed if we play both Smack and Giles. Hirds words in the presser. If we play both Smack and Giles we are worried about been to tall in the fwd line, leaving us unable to apply enough defensive pressure to keep the ball in there.

AMBROSE

Exactly, and we will loose a huge amount of defensive pressure in the process. Fwd line will be far too tall. Smack has come out by the looks of it. I am not againt dropping Ambrose but not for another ruckman.

Last ten posts suddenly pointless. Be careful what you ask for!

Interesting, lets hope Giles can have a good one.

Dodga: When people way we are worried about the negative of Giles slowness compared to the potential positive of his clearance work.
This is the exactly what the coaches have obviously weighted up.

Thankfully Hird addressed it at the top of team announcement: it appears they prefer to rest a full game now and then rather than bits each week.

When people say we are worried about the negative of Giles slowness compared to the potential positive of his clearance work.

I don’t get the worried bit.

What are we worried about? Worried we might lose?

I, personally, am petrified we might win a centre clearance, and as a result skippy keeps his job.