Rugby Union

Yep. There were a lot of good players unlucky to miss the All Blacks squad.

Tell me. When is it acceptable to impede the opposition in trying to play the ball once tackled and brought to ground? Sometimes its a penalty for, sometimes a penalty against.

No one, not even the hardest core rugby fan, knows.

Mostly true. I still play a little and it is ridiculously complicated and depends on the ref a little too as to how much latitude they will give. Depends how the player hits the ground. Important for the tackled player to get a knee to the ground and then as long as you stay on your feet and enter through the gate you should be ok. Should be.

Thanks for that but still none the wiser.

Well done to the Allblacks, too good, especially the forwards. Ozzies looked a bit nervous and turned the ball over under the massive pressure applied. Carter was enormous as MOTM, but Ritchie was not far behind him. Ozzies were really only able to exert any influence on the outcome for about 20 min. The forward pass should def have been picked up, but it would not have made a heap of difference to the final result. some calling it the best final of all time, but l can’t agree with that, a few people getting carried away with the result more than the actual game. NZ deserved the win.

Line-out needs work.

Well done to the Allblacks, too good, especially the forwards. Ozzies looked a bit nervous and turned the ball over under the massive pressure applied. Carter was enormous as MOTM, but Ritchie was not far behind him. Ozzies were really only able to exert any influence on the outcome for about 20 min. The forward pass should def have been picked up, but it would not have made a heap of difference to the final result. some calling it the best final of all time, but l can't agree with that, a few people getting carried away with the result more than the actual game. NZ deserved the win.

England won the best final of all time.

Why would you bring that up?

Why?

This may help Digs

That is the greatest instructional video I have ever seen.

There is a few. Just not the good ones

It will be interesting to see how the teams line up after the post world cup retirements. The Wallabies probably need to get some more code hoppers from the ARL. Its all about money for them, but there is the talent reservoir we need to take us to the top of world rugby. The challenge is for the ARU to get the corporate funding and some good TV deals to make it happen. In this respect the personality and presence of Cheika is enormous.

I dont think they need more code hoppers. I actually think the Wallabies will drift again before they become a power. They need more youth coming through and I think they have it but not ready for the Wallabies Jersey. You can select certain code hoppers but you dont get many that make it. SBW is a bench player, a good one but still a bench player. Folau is the exception but I think he would struggle away from FB (Struggle is the wrong word, but just think he needs that space and you dont need as intricate an understanding of the game from back there) and then you have Burgess who just couldnt cut it at all.

the Wallabies lost that game mostly in the set piece play. The ABs killed them in the line out and had the better of the scrums. The Aussies scrum will improve although I think playing two loosies means you are willing to risk the line out ball for the amount of ball you expect to get around the ground. Only thing was the Blacks defended the break down incredibly well and actually beat Pocock at his own game. McCaw was massive.

Think the Kiwis have the depth to cover, will be a dip as they are losing some of their best ever players but wouldnt expect the bottom to fall out.

I agree, AB the code hopper thing is very problematic. As we now know, code hoppers can hop back, there is always that option. A pure Union player is probably fully committed to Union. But surely Its all in the selection of the player. They would have to really want to play Union for Australia , not just for the money, but once on the League pay levels , there clearly has to be some inducement, unless they had done it all in the ARL.
We would need to be very patient now to wait for schoolboys at Sydney/Canberra Grammar to filter into the Waratah/Brumbies teams to get to the required level. Sure, that is the long term, sustainable future thats required, but how to maintain the current head of steam that our performance in the World Cup has given Australian Rugby? Can you suggest an immediate alternative? Maybe search for All Blacks that live in OZ,. or have Australian genes in them, and make them offers too good to refuse !!!

Isn’t one of the issues that RU in Australia is too stuck in the private schoolboy syndrome - Have to wonder if this precludes the most talented boys playing RU - Maybe RU needs to be more egalitarian.

Isn't one of the issues that RU in Australia is too stuck in the private schoolboy syndrome - Have to wonder if this precludes the most talented boys playing RU - Maybe RU needs to be more egalitarian.

Aussie Mums today prefer their babies to play Soccer rather than Aussie Rules, because its not as dangerous. So where does that leave rugby ?

Isn't one of the issues that RU in Australia is too stuck in the private schoolboy syndrome - Have to wonder if this precludes the most talented boys playing RU - Maybe RU needs to be more egalitarian.

Aussie Mums today prefer their babies to play Soccer rather than Aussie Rules, because its not as dangerous. So where does that leave rugby ?

Would think Rugby is safer than AFL. 180 degree game. I also think the safety thing is overstated. Think soccer just markets itself well to really young kids. They dont keep them well though.

Rugby has to share with league and afl here whereas in NZ rugby is absolute first choice.

Rugby’s never been the #1 or even #2 sport here

Could move past league if managed well. Will never challenge fur #1

RIP Jonah Lomu

You’d get up in the middle of the night to watch if J Lomu was playing.

How could a bloke that big run so fast?

Sad news, true great of the game

Fark. My favourite ever. That’s really sad. :frowning:

Probably one of my favourite athletes of all time and seemed like a good bloke off the field.