Rugby Union

1/3 of the Wallaby side ( and arguably the hard core of the team ) is Polynesian, and they hold very strong religious beliefs. Maybe those religious beliefs are even stronger than the desire to make money.

Qantas and the ARU potentially have a revolt brewing among the players, in the lead up to the World Cup. Basically they are stuffed in this campaign anyway, but may as well pull out if they have to replace 6-8 of their top players.

Worse, the ARU is on its knees as a code locally and this whole disaster could be the coup de gras. Joyce is not amused and might pull Qantas sponsorship irrespective of the Code of Conduct hearing result.

It has to be a concern. Still think the best outcome is that they find a way to keep Folau playing.

Folau.
We finally found a $1M a year player with the integrity to tell his employers to stick whats left of their $4M back in the bank, he is not changing his religious views.

I don’t believe in the god construct of Christians+Islamists+Jews and a lot of their outdated scriptures. I am firm in my belief there is no god. I am not LGBTIQ, but if others are/want to be they can go for it.

However, I admire Folau. He says what he believes and does not resile from it.

If QANTAS want to throw their millions at a high profile Australian Sporting team with minimal success in the past 15 years then I think they should consider Essendon.

We have good brand crossover too, we are the Bombers from Essendon/Tullamarine and they fly planes from both Essendon and Tullamarine.

He was never, ever asked to change his religious views.

He was asked, and agreed to, not publish his threats against certain sections of the market his employer operates within.

He failed to do so. Breach of contract.

3 Likes

How Joyce hasn’t pulled up stumps now is beyond me.

Even if they do sack him Australian rugby is Comedy Central.

And if anyone could offer any theory’s as to why we played off in a wc final 10 years ago and now this I’m all ears. Did private school fees go up or something

So is it really a threat to post that gay people (amongst others) will be doomed to a non-existent fantasy land of fire and brimstone.

Reckon all the publicity this dumb post (from my anti-religious perspective) has driven will cause much more grief than the post itself.

Folau is a great sportsman and it is pity that we have become so politically correct. It was really a post that you go blah, and move on.

2 Likes

Politically incorrect is saying someone with special needs is mentally retarded.

What Folau said makes people want to do themselves in.

Blah, move on.

Sure, he was found to be in breach of his contract, but Folau repeated the words of the bible. The bible has been around for 2000 years, and its still going to be around for many years. If what Folau repeated causes some people to suicide, then its actually the bible that’s the problem.

Literal interpretation of the Koran and the Bible ( OT and New) has caused wars and death on a large scale. Those 3 documents need to be revised. Seriously.

1 Like

Has it been around for 2000 years though - I thought it was cobbled together in 600 - 800

well, yes it is a threat because he is condemning them for who they are. there are kids who’ve killed themselves because they were shamed for being “different” within their communites. you can google it if you want. its still a massive issue amongst the LGBT community. his post was irresponsible at the very least…

That wasn’t in his contract though?

Maybe.

I do get that and just because I view it as a rant to be ignored doesn’t mean it has no effect.

However I would submit that the public response to his bible driven post should give strength and confidence to those with none heterosexual preference

So what? It doesn’t matter which fantasy novel they come from does it?

It’s like saying all Gays are fcked, … which could be quoted from many other actual factual books, like Mien Kampf for instance.

Saying it’s in the Bible is like saying, “But I read it on a Toilet door” , about as much credibility to stand on,. …no defence at all.

1 Like

Pocock a chance to miss now as well. He is probably the Wallabies best player alongside Folau. Could be a disastrous world cup.

You’d love that.

My heart wants another ABs world cup but not sure it’s good for the game. Could live with Ireland winning, would be even better if Australia got knocked out in the pool stages

You know how you took a knee during a game on the weekend? When I catch up with you, and I will, you’ll be taking another knee.

Not sure what you want from me Diggers. Not as much fun on my knees as you imagine… and Folau reckons it sends me to hell.

1 Like

Taking a knee in boxing terms is code for taking the soft way out. You took a knee on the weekend. You will take a knee when a) I catch you and/or b) NZ win the WC.

1 Like