Rule changes have made the game a hybrid!

they should put a stop to the player with the ball being allowed to play on whilst the ump is still barking instructions at the guy who has to stand the mark. Absolutely unfair advantage to the guy with ball.

But that comes back to, they need to enforce guys standing the mark actually standing it where the umpire puts it not where they want to be.

Time after time you'll see the umpire try and get him on the right line once, twice, then give up.

"Oh well, I tried, he doesn't want to stand there so who am I to judge?"

they should put a stop to the player with the ball being allowed to play on whilst the ump is still barking instructions at the guy who has to stand the mark. Absolutely unfair advantage to the guy with ball.

But that comes back to, they need to enforce guys standing the mark actually standing it where the umpire puts it not where they want to be.

Time after time you'll see the umpire try and get him on the right line once, twice, then give up.

"Oh well, I tried, he doesn't want to stand there so who am I to judge?"

It's a small thing but that annoys me, too.

How did we get here?

The mark is the friggin' mark.  Stand on it.  It's not somewhere around this general area, or a virtual line the width of the MCG, it's the mark.  You can move off it when the ump calls play on.

That's what leads to what Boot complains about:

Not enforcing the actual, original (and as far as I know unchanged since the 1800s) rule.

No doubt they'll bring in another rule to fix it (then swallow a bird to swallow the spider...).