Run and Carry circa 2014

Was lamenting the lack of genuine line breaking pace in the team after last night's performance, so I did some number crunching.

Turns out we are last in the league for bounces this year averaging about 4 per game.

League average is just under 11.

I know it's a trivial and possibly misleading stat, especially given the nature of our game

plan, but, it definitely suggests that we are lacking some dare and flare.

Hibberd has gotten a lot more attention this year and Dempsey is a shadow of the 2013 model. Consequently, the run those 2 created off of HB, which was such a hallmark of our game in the 1st half of last year, has been sadly missing.

Of the youngsters, Gleeson and Jerrett have both shown a penchant for burning rubber, hopefully they're back in the seniors sooner rather than later and are encouraged to use their pace as a weapon. A directive which Jerrett in particular, seems to struggle with.

With Aylett, Fantasia, Dalgleish, Colyer, Edwards (and Rayner) loitering on the fringes and all speedsters in their own right, will be great to see some Zip, drive and some excitement back in our kit bag. It's been too long!

There is a good Travis Colyer/good Leroy Jetta shaped hole in our list.

Anyone know where to find the good versions?

Dell?

Benfti's list or Stealing Jed Anderson from Hawthorn.

With Jetta and Colyer both moving into their prime and neither having shown anywhere near enough, it's seriously time we this made player type a priority come draft and trading season.

Jetta can still be this. 

In the vfl last weekend apparently.
Although I would question Jetta being a "run and carry" player.

In the vfl last weekend apparently.
Although I would question Jetta being a "run and carry" player.

Agreed. As much as he seems to rack them up in the midfield in the lesser league, He'll always be best suited to playing a creative HFF and delivering quality I-50s. Now we have Zerrett coming up in that role, who has alot of 'upside', Leroy seems to offer little more than depth (which all good sides need mind you!)

+ No matter what happens with his form in the reserves, I think Leroy's issues seem to be more about application / ability to adhere to Bomba / Hird's game plan. Not sure how they can find him a 'football brain' after 8 years in the system.

Happy to be proven wrong, but he ain't got long to stake his claim.

Let's get Lovett back.

A lot of our wins last year were based on intercept marks by Hooker/Carilsle/Fletch then feeding Hibberd/Dempsey and creating run off half back. We have completely lost this. We now kick a lot earlier. 

A lot of our wins last year were based on intercept marks by Hooker/Carilsle/Fletch then feeding Hibberd/Dempsey and creating run off half back. We have completely lost this. We now kick a lot earlier. 

Partly because teams are blocking the run of Hibberd. He's not getting the space that he had last year. Dempsey on the other hand, just seems heinously out of form. 

Partly because teams are blocking the run of Hibberd. He's not getting the space that he had last year. Dempsey on the other hand, just seems heinously out of form.
Dempsey even gets blocked by umpires. Actually it was a perfectly executed block so perhaps Schmitt(house) should go along to training and teach the players how to go about keeping an opponent out of a contest.

We have one run and carry player - Zaka. And you reckon Adelaide will be right on to him this weekend.

I knew someone would pull me up on the Jetta call. Let's preface this with the fact that I understand Jetta looks done. That being said, when he was at his best (and he was only warming up to his best - we'll just never see it), he is ABSOLUTELY a run and carry player. No he doesn't have the wheels that he used to, or that some others do, but run and carry is not explicitly linked to out and out pace, otherwise guys like Dalgliesh would be best 22 ages ago. Jetta's movement through traffic is sublime and he is able to open up the game with a couple of weaves, a bounce and handball over the top. He is sufficiently quick. That's what we need. And no, his head is farked and Leroy will never be this unfortunately. 

I knew someone would pull me up on the Jetta call. Let's preface this with the fact that I understand Jetta looks done. That being said, when he was at his best (and he was only warming up to his best - we'll just never see it), he is ABSOLUTELY a run and carry player. No he doesn't have the wheels that he used to, or that some others do, but run and carry is not explicitly linked to out and out pace, otherwise guys like Dalgliesh would be best 22 ages ago. Jetta's movement through traffic is sublime and he is able to open up the game with a couple of weaves, a bounce and handball over the top. He is sufficiently quick. That's what we need. And no, his head is farked and Leroy will never be this unfortunately. 

Correct. It's all in his head.

Here's a theory, first month of 2012 Leroy was playing great footy and looked like he may finally have turned the corner, Come Dreamtime game, He is suspended for staging, one of the most ridiculous MRP knee jerk reactions of the modern era - I believe this really did his head in. He was singled and out made an example of all over the media.

He seemed to lack a lot of confidence after that incident (barring a best on ground vs Port Adelaide later in the year)

Come 2013, he just couldn't get a game. And now when he does, he just seems so preoccupied with doing the team things that it really seems to inhibit his natural game. He truly is headfarked. Some people just don't have the disposition for the modern game.

Peeto, I‘m happy with the concept of Jetta in terms of his ability to work through traffic, my response was more in the context of the OP, who talked about run and carry.  I don‘t think Jetta is the type of player who will have 3 bounces and blow a game apart with electric speed.  Yes Dalgleish could meet that description, as could Colyer in a slightly different way.  There are probably others as well (Edwards, Rayner? etc) who are even further away.

I don‘t think Jetta is that type, but agree that he is exceptional working in traffic and his sidestep and ‘traffic management‘ can create space which breaks up the play and creates attacking options.  My concern with Leroy is whether the occasional defensive failing (eg missed tackle) is outweighed by his offensive attributes.  When he‘s confident and getting involved his positives absolutely outweigh his negatives  (as evidenced by his top 10 in the league goal assists ranking in 2012 – there wasn‘t a whole lot of dud footballers in that top 10 either).  Unfortunately when he‘s not ‘on‘ he struggles to get involved enough. 

He can still make it.  He has all of the tools except for the self-belief and perhaps concentration in my opinion.  If somehow we could harness his talent he‘d make a massive difference.  Unfortunately I reckon this ASADA stuff may have impacted him worse than most  (just a guess, no evidence, but based on how the ‘staging‘ stuff got to him).

Oh well.  Fingers crossed that he can find the headspace to finally harness what we all know he has inside him.

tis why I hoped they'd make a play for yarran last year. He may be a ■■■■ defender but the guy can stroll at half pace quicker than most in the afl.

I don't know what it is, but even the guys with moderate to good pace haven't really taken the game on this year.

I think the only players who have backed themselves this year have been Hibbo, Gleeson and Z .Merrett.

The rest their first reaction for most of the year has been to stop, prop and either handball or blindly kick it, which seems opposite to the way the coaches want them to play, it's just odd watching sometimes.

Benfti's list or Stealing Jed Anderson from Hawthorn.
With Jetta and Colyer both moving into their prime and neither having shown anywhere near enough, it's seriously time we this made player type a priority come draft and trading season.
I dunno if Jed is a real run and carry? Quick, yes.

Correct. It's all in his head.
Here's a theory, first month of 2012 Leroy was playing great footy and looked like he may finally have turned the corner, Come Dreamtime game, He is suspended for staging, one of the most ridiculous MRP knee jerk reactions of the modern era - I believe this really did his head in. He was singled and out made an example of all over the media.
He seemed to lack a lot of confidence after that incident (barring a best on ground vs Port Adelaide later in the year)
Come 2013, he just couldn't get a game. And now when he does, he just seems so preoccupied with doing the team things that it really seems to inhibit his natural game. He truly is headfarked. Some people just don't have the disposition for the modern game.
My theory is he's just not a strong character. Things knock him off his game that really shouldn't (at his age and experience). NB your theory and mine probably tie in with each other pretty well.

Where we need more run carry is between centre and half forward, to then take a shot from the 50 (ie Zaka #2).

Instead, we kick too early to a vacated/outnumbered forward line.

I suggest trying Dempsey at half-forward. Unlike Leroy he is hungry to take a shot at goal. And Demps isn’t really killing it down back.

Frankston
Some bloke called Shannon Taylor
Want