Russia invades Ukraine - the first ten weeks

7 Likes
1 Like

Son of Oblomov is pretty funny

Bravo sir.

The Excalibur rounds are gps guided. $10k per round. Canada has donated a nice chunk of them. They’ll be used to hit high value targets.

Also of note is the different fuses the NATO rounds can deploy. Russia seems to have preferred impact burst rounds, which can absorb much of the blast into the ground. NATO rounds can air burst at 10m ish above the ground, which makes them far more devastating. A salvo isn’t that much less accurate than a gps guided round, so they’ll do the job most of the time.

That commentary is borrowed from a very enthusiastic Yank artilleryman. I’m sure Russia can do air bust, but they don’t seem to be using them.

1 Like

The type of round to be used will depend on the target and terrain. HE for armoured vehicles, air-burst for troops and light-skin vehicles, delayed fuse for defensive positions. There are all types of nastiness depending on what you would like ruin.

4 Likes

Drones seem to be specifically intended to supply Mariupol.

4 Likes

This post is educated guesswork based on what we’ve seen of Ukriane fortifications, what bridges have been destroyed and where Ukraine is flexing vs holding firm, with a bit of Google Earth mixed in. I suggest bouncing between the maps and the text, because these place names mean absolutely nothing in isolation.

On the Izyum front in the Donbas, the Ukrainians are pulling back on the eastern flank and dropping behind the east-west running Siverskyi-Donets river. That’s going to give them a lot of protection all the way from Sloviansk to Sievierodonetsk, allowing Ukraine to focus forces at blunting the push from Izyum. Expect the remaining towns north of the river to gradually withdraw in a deliberate fighting retreat back to a secure river line defence. Ukriane will make Russia bleed to take each town. Most of the bridges have already been blown, with the remainder to be destroyed once the final defenders are over.

To the far east, Ukraine is fighting extremely hard for the suburbs of Rubizhne and Popasna. These are key points that they need to hold, so there isn’t a gradual retreat strategy being employed here. Fighting in these urban areas has been heavy and not much ground has changed hands in recent weeks. I’m not seeing any signs of concern on this front, if anything the Ukrainians are securing a very intimidating defensive position. It’s almost like this is their home and they know what they are doing…

Towards the west, I expect the final defensive line to be along the railway line heading west from Sloviansk. There’s a heap of large towns all along that path, which would make very defensible positions. Artillery will be scattered south of that line, hitting any Russian advance before it reaches an urban area. The land north of that railway line will be very strongly fortified, as Ukraine knows this is where Russia needs a breakthrough to win.

Up north around Kharkiv, there’s been a big win to push 40 km east of the city. This is a very defensible town for the Ukrainians because it’s up against the very wide north-south river. The bridge there has been destroyed earlier in the war, so Russia would have had to withdraw to the north to keep a line of retreat open. Reducing Russian artillery bombardment of Kharkiv is nice, but in a military sense is the minor win here. Critically this gives the Ukrainian’s a safe launching point for further counterattacks into the east, which will put the Russian supply routes to the Iziyum front under dire threat.

Things to watch over the coming days is for a collapse in any of those critical lines that the Ukrainians are falling back to. Small losses in the flex territory is fine, losing that river or railway will be a massive blow. Likewise, if Russia gets a win pushing in from the eastern flank, it would make things very dangerous. If Ukraine can hold these points and attrit the Russian forces over the coming weeks, then a push from Kharkiv could be of enormous impact to the result of the war.

11 Likes
8 Likes

Recent ICRC evidence based report is chilling, in particular the impact on children

• Explosive Weapons with Wide Area Effects: A Deadly Choice in Populated Areas
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Given I know nothing about modern warfare and wrongly see it as high-tech weaponry v high-tech weaponry, I find it fascinating that a river and home ground advantage are such important and decisive factors.

1 Like

Claimed shots from artillery, extremely accurate, I wonder if that’s more direct fire?
Of course the Excalibur would do it, but would they use expensive munitions on something one tank?

I think the number of craters tells you there’s some selective editing there.

3 Likes

We hardly hear of Ukrainian casualties (other than civilians). How are they faring?

Zelenskyy recently stated that there had been some significant military losses, but not as high as the Russians.

1 Like

It’s likely Ukraine is in the 3500-5000 killed range with 3x that injured. Call it 4k.

Russian deaths are running at 3-5x higher than Ukraine. Attacking fortified positions and having a tragically poor medical system are giving Russia a more fatal casualty mix. I’m guessing 15k.

These numbers are higher for Ukraine than Zelenski announced a few days back and lower than they are claiming the Russians have inflicted. I don’t think anyone really knows.

2 Likes

10k!

Odds on I was going to be the one.

Here’s a German gun to mark the occasion.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at Russia invades Ukraine - the first ten weeks (Part 2).