Sam Newman

I know people usually only love him or hate him, but he is the only real notable figure I have any time for in the footy world these days.

His speech just then he had about the Nat Fyfe suspension was spot on.

An incredibly astute man who has like me, watched our great game decline over the years (in my opinion) and is someone who I would would like on the rules committee instead of someone like Kevin Bartlett.

Not only a man of a great knowledge but also someone with common sense.

Which is few and far between these days amoung the circles of football.

Keep it up Foss!

People don’t like him but I’ve always found him amusing and respected and agreed with his opinions on alot of things.

Saw that footage for the first time. That was a perfect bump and there were only two ways to avoid hitting his opponents head.

a) Stop his head from flinging (natural reaction to the bump) or

b) Get lower (resulting in Fyfe hitting his head on the shoulder of his opponent)

AFL needs to either accept that a fair bump can result in a head clash, or accept it is too dangerous and ban it.

Yet, it is perfectly legal to tackle someone, pin there arms and take them to ground. Considering unlike with a head-clash the ground has no give, your head being rammed into the ground is even more dangerous.

Definitely a controversial figure but someone’s opinion I have always appreciated.

Isn’t just another politically correct cockwomble like the two other bozos who sit next to him each week.

Common guys like his status

its an online protest/petition against the new bump rule

https://www.facebook.com/AFLFootyShow

he's got over 61,000 likes now

Saw that footage for the first time. That was a perfect bump and there were only two ways to avoid hitting his opponents head.
b) Get lower (resulting in Fyfe hitting his head on the shoulder of his opponent)
AFL needs to either accept that a fair bump can result in a head clash, or accept it is too dangerous and ban it.
Yet, it is perfectly legal to tackle someone, pin there arms and take them to ground. Considering unlike with a head-clash the ground has no give, your head being rammed into the ground is even more dangerous.

The bump shouldn't be banned in my opinion.
We just need to accept the fact that this is a contact sport and that the players accept the risks and we leave it as it is. Call me naive but it doesn't matter how many things you ban to 'protect the players', there will always be risks and banning each flavour of the month as it arises is just a knee jerk reaction and is to the detriment of the game.

Already on board bdstratton!

Already on board bdstratton!

no worries

wow its almost up to 64,000 now

its a pity he's not protesting about the food prices too.  

He should start petitions about a lot of other things too!

He should start petitions about a lot of other things too!

Yeah like beer for $8 a cup thats a rip off

Coke $5.20 at Etihad

$5 for a pie it ridiculous, 

7.50 handling fees.

B) Get lower (resulting in Fyfe hitting his head on the shoulder of his opponent)

We just need to accept the fact that this is a contact sport and that the players accept the risks and we leave it as it is. Call me naive but it doesn't matter how many things you ban to 'protect the players', there will always be risks and banning each flavour as the month as it arises is just a knee jerk reaction and is to the detriment of the game.

That is my point. Don't sit in the middle to try and appease everyone. The Fyfe bump was perfectly executing, the bump is either too dangerous or accept the risk of accidental head clashes.

This is the AFL looking after its image rather than showing some spine and picking a side.

Just hire Sam as the new AFL CEO

problem solved.

B) Get lower (resulting in Fyfe hitting his head on the shoulder of his opponent)

We just need to accept the fact that this is a contact sport and that the players accept the risks and we leave it as it is. Call me naive but it doesn't matter how many things you ban to 'protect the players', there will always be risks and banning each flavour as the month as it arises is just a knee jerk reaction and is to the detriment of the game.
That is my point. Don't sit in the middle to try and appease everyone. The Fyfe bump was perfectly executing, the bump is either too dangerous or accept the risk of accidental head clashes.
This is the AFL looking after its image rather than showing some spine and picking a side.

Agreed.

Sam's got 72,688 likes now wow thats amazing

to put that into perspective thats enough people to fill the MCG (But not to capacity)

to put that into perspective thats enough people to fill the MCG (But not to capacity)

LOL
Fill.... But not to capacity? Then how is it filled?

LOL

92,388 now.

Should fill the 'G by morning.

LOL

92,388 now.

Should fill the 'G by morning.

But not to capacity.

Yeah. It would have been more impressive if framed as: 

"That would fill the Sidney Myer music bowl 36 times." 

I don't like Removing the bump, I don't like how the AFL run any process, let alone how they deal with our club.

The reason behind the rule is to do with concussions. I'm guessing they nor anyone in our game want to be in the position the NFL was/is in relation to being sued cos of the long term damage of concussions.

The more data that comes to light on the topic, the more they have found out that it's not just concussions that cause brain damage, it's heavy impacts.

In a game like AFL you obviously can't negate every high impact situation, but you can try you're best to minimise it.

Fyfe had multiple options he could have carried out. He went a risky option in todays AFL laws, and accidently hit another player with his head.

I for one would rather the system do all it can in this instance, to limit the chances of players having long term brain damage effects, simply cos they can chase a piece of leather around an oval pretty good.