The Tennis thread

Thompson defeats Sock in first match, Davis cup.

1 Like

That’s impressive. Sock was in career best form

Krygios takes the first set against Isner.

1 Like

And the second

Krygios takes the match! Surely we’re favourite for the doubles?

2 Likes

Serena Williams has announced she’s 20 weeks pregnant.

Congrats Diggers!

4 Likes

#crisp

And Ilie Nastase made a racist comment. Who would have thought?

R Federer has withdrawn from the French Open to focus on the grass and hard court competitions later in the season. Fair decision I reckon.

Last week Kyrgios beaten 3 and 1 by Nadal on clay. Nick is decent on clay but of course Rafa is in another world.

Probably for the best.

He is/was in good form earlier in the season but even in career best touch he probably wouldn’t beat the Spaniard on clay. Unless something strange happens, it’s hard to see anyone upsetting the Spaniard at Roland Garos. I was hoping N Kyrgios might be a sneaky chance but after what happened in Madrid, he’ll need a miracle. The Serb has lost his mind, the Scot isn’t what he was 3x seasons ago. Dimitrov is a pretender. Raonic isn’t serious on mud. It’s too soon for Zverev. Warinka is more cold than hot. The Japanese is good but not that good. Nadal just needs to turn up it seems.

The Serb has hired Agassi the Iranian/American as his new coach. Must have taken some convincing as I was led to believe Agassi had no interest in coaching. Will follow this pairing with interest.

Apparently Sam Stosur is looking to expand her boycott of the second round of tournaments by including games played at Margaret Court arena. What’s next? Games involving opponents?

1 Like

Interested to see how Thiem performs at the French Open - Expect Semi’s or better - Poor Tomic who has no idea on clay drew Thiem in the first round - Women’s side is a chook raffle - Anyone can win.

Thiem made the Semi at France last year, and his form has been once again good this year beating Nadal a few weeks ago.

His draw is okay but might meet Goffin early, who he has trouble with. I hope he goes well, probably my favourite player to watch

1 Like

Things opening up in Stosur’s part of the draw. Real good chance to get to the quarters and perhaps a semi

Apparently she’s only going to play against lesbians. Shouldn’t miss too many games then, according to Margaret.

3 Likes

Stosur saying that that’s not what she said at all.

I think people need to realise that Margaret Court has her name on the arena, purely for tennis reasons only. Unless she actually becomes a criminal, or calls for homosexuals to be persecuted, then her name should remain. People can still voice their opinion about her silly comments, but this is getting ridiculous. I’m sure we’ve got places and streets named after several people who once did much more unsavoury things that Margaret Court.

5 Likes