The Tennis thread

Thread title finally delivers!

2 Likes

You need to check out the graf to show his success!

Theyā€™ve been trying to change the name of the Maths/Stats building at Melbourne Uni (that I haunted for 4 years in the early 70s) because the guy it was named after, a biologist called Richard Berry, was an advocate for eugenics, which was so popular with the Nazis - and also with people who want to breed Hawthorn, Port and Collingwood fans out of existence. Iā€™d extend that to ā– ā– ā– ā–  Carlton fans too, but I love Italian food too much.

1 Like

Stosur comfortably through to the round of 16.
Rafa also through, only dropped 1 game and looking like a matchup with Raonic in the quarters

1 Like

Thiem wonā€™t have to worry about Goffin who retired against Zeballos. Zeballos has been in very good form this year though. Should be some good matches coming up. This is assuming Thiem beats Johnson (heā€™s two sets up atm).
Iā€™m hoping for Nadal to meet him in the Quarters.

I also reckon young Ostapenko will beat Stosur next match. Sheā€™s in hot form.

Thiem and Rafa can only meet in the semis.
Thiem has to get past Novak and Rafa past Raonic

Right you are. Long way to go yet. I donā€™t see Nadal having an issue getting past Raonic on clay. Bautista Agut next up will be tougher

Novak down 2 sets to 1

1 Like

Rafa into the semis 6-2, 2-0 and then his opponent pulled the pin.
Thiem wins the first set tie break over Novak

Thiem up 2 sets now on Djoko. Come on Thiem!

6-0 in the third to take the match for Dom. Backhand down the line on match point was awesome. I reckon heā€™ll trouble Rafa next match, both in very good form.

Nadal moves to 2nd in the rankings off the back of todayā€™s results.

Saw Thiem play Thompson at the Ausopen, the power the kid generates has to be seen live to be believed. He will have the game on his racket vs Rafa, I canā€™t remember being this interested in a french open match up!

1 Like

While this happens Wawrinka stealthily sneaks into the semi-finals - Will be super-competitive if he makes the final.

The Serb is struggling.

I decided to watch Ostapenko after you mentioned her. Wowee Iā€™ve found myself a new favourite on the females side.
Havenā€™t had a favourite female since Anke Huber :smile:
Not sure if she can win with that many unforced errors still in her game, but if sheā€™s on thereā€™s nothing stopping her.

1 Like

Yeah I think sheā€™ll get those unforced errors out of her game as she matures as a player. She turned 20 today!

I liked Anke Huber more for her name than as a player :slight_smile:

Bacsinszky will be tough, she always performs well at RG. Iā€™ll try to catch some of that game today

She did it in 3 sets. Great match, gee sheā€™s good to watch. I canā€™t see her winning the final though, even tougher opponents coming up, and she hasnā€™t even won a WTA tour yet

There was a game in the second set, where she just cracked 4 absolute clean winners to break Bacsinczy to love.
I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen anything like that.
Iā€™ll be cheering come Saturday

Ostapenko beat Stosur in the 4th round - Stosur tends to lose to eventual winners of GTā€™s in the earlier rounds.

Wawrinka runs away from Murray in the 5th set to enter the final of the Menā€™s.

Rafa gives Thiem a lesson and a half. Absolutely dismantled him in straight sets