The Tennis thread

Didn’t even know she was still playing

Rosso, please.

Federer wins Basel. Again although this time it was against Juaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Martin del Potro, who has beaten him twice previously in this event. beat him at the US Open earlier this year also. Nice to get square.

Was playing doubles.

Barty about to serve for the match over kerber. She is seriously on some type of run and is in hot form.

I read diggers, I think, always talking her up some time ago, but wow.

She’ll be in the semi’s should she win.

And she finishes with an ace to take the game to love.

1 Like

Should just about guarantee her a top 16 seeding at the Oz Open, a remarkable effort after being ranked somewhere close to 250 at this year’s Open.

1 Like

Barty has stepped it up a gear in 2017 - She has an all-court game with variety which makes her a dangerous foe - Continue her rate of improvement and she’s a lock for top 10.

I would have contacted her directly if she continued playing cricket. She’s a terrific talent.

Read the Jelena Dokic book extract today.

Just awful. What a ■■■■ of a bloke Damir is. I nearly had to stop reading it. Just horrifying.

Not only the shocking violence. Imagine losing a Wimbledon semi and have to crash there the night because you’re not allowed back to your own accommodation.

I’m not sure TA and others can completely wipe their hands with it either. They must have known what was going on.

Just an awful story. She seems like she’s in a good place now so good on her.

4 Likes

They did eventually ban him, but only after most of the damage was done. The bloke is a first class piece of ■■■■. Hopefully he gets completely shunned by all and sundry. A total a’hole.

It also makes the attacks people put onto her even more frustrating. People jump to conclusions about sports people but rarely know what is going on behind the scenes. The abuse she coped from the media/public for quitting Aus is now an embarrassment. Maybe people should have been asking questions about what was really going on. A lot of the media had their suspicions but said very little other than to stoke the fires of angst against this young lady (at the time).

2 Likes

Tennis definitely brings out the worst in parents wanting to live life through their children. Hewitt’s old man was a bit of a prick aswell but not to Dokic’s degree. There was a famous story that Lleyton lost a junior title in Adelaide at about the age of 12 so as punishment his old man wouldn’t drive him home but instead made his son jog behind the car for the trip home. Apparently took about 2 and a half hours

I was at a Sportsman Night some years ago and Lleyton Hewitt was asked that question. He laughed and denied it. He went on to say, he hopes his kids treat me better than he did his parents when he was a teenager.

Who knows the truth, but he seemed very believable.

1 Like

Tennis parents are ■■■■■■■ nuts. the amount of abuse people on my team, againstmy team copped sometimes was horrific.

1 Like

There’s a lot of kids playing junior sport in general for the wrong reasons. I was probably more fortunate in that I seemed to play in decent tennis teams, and I came accross very few ■■■■■■■ parents, my siblings on the other hand haven’t been so fortunate. E.g.

• the classic father coaching son’s cricket team, completely orchestrating everything around the child so he gets the best stats, child also ending up acting like a right ■■■■.
  • Father from opposition making death threats towards children who are playing well, disgusting league doing nothing about it
  • Parents making up ■■■■ about other children in the team

The other thing is, when you stand up for yourself, you will be ostracised. One of my siblings was picked for a national side in her chosen sport, two years later couldn’t even get a guernsey in the state side due to politics. If being a decent person means you don’t get picked, then I’d rather have my integrity. These parents think that sport is the gateway to their child becomming rich, and completely miss the point of children’s sport. Very few people make money out of sport, I absolutely cannot bare people like this.

3 Likes

I always hated the parents that pulled their kid away and barked instructions in hushed tones then stared down their kid. The parent looked like a right psychopath

1 Like

diggers ruok with serena being married?

1 Like

Have we been underappreciating Goffin ? He’s just given Federer his marching orders.

Well now that trans genders can get married in Australia he can host it for her

1 Like