The Tennis thread

I worked (managed) the dad of one of the better current juniors in the country. His child is in the current Davis / Fed cup squad (I’d rather not say which one).
As a person the dad is an absolutely humble and grounded and could not be more supportive of his kids. He moved the family so the kids could be closer to their scholarships and also put in a tennis court with lights - no they are not rich.
I really hope his child makes it but I know they will be supported either way.

1 Like

Goffin can play, but gee it’s weak scene at the moment. Jack Sock in the semis of the tour finals? Smh

Yep.

Injured: Murray, Djokovic, Nadal, Warwrinka, Nishikori, Raonic…

Definitely a weak year for the Masters Series Final - Great so see Dimitrov return to form in 2018 - He’s got a pure game - Some chance to win a Grand Slam Tournament, but definitely no certainty.

Tennis champion Jana Novotna dies aged 49
EX-Wimbledon champ Jana Novotna — who won hearts when she broke down in tears on Centre Court — has died at the age of 49.

Zoe Smith

Tennis ace Jana Novotna dies at age 49

FORMER Wimbledon champion Jana Novotna has died at the age of 49.

Novotna, a former world number one in doubles and number two in singles, passed away peacefully on Sunday surrounded by her family, the WTA announced.

A statement read: “It is with deep sadness that the WTA announces the passing on Sunday, November 19, of Jana Novotna, the former WTA World No.1 doubles and No.2 singles champion. After a long battle with cancer, Jana died peacefully, surrounded by her family in her native Czech Republic, aged 49.”

Jana Novotna has lost her battle with cancer.

Novotna won the Wimbledon women’s singles title in 1998 and was beaten by Steffi Graf in the 1993 final.
She captured the hearts of fans when she burst into tears after losing to German great Steffi Graf in 1993 and was consoled by the Duchess of Kent.

Novotna started crying when presented with the loser’s trophy before the Duchess of Kent put a comforting arm around her and gave her a shoulder to shed her tears on during emotional scenes on Centre Court.
Jana Novotna was famously consoled by the Duchess of Kent after her Wimbledon defeat in 1993.

Novotna said the Duchess had told her “she would do it” when she went to collect her trophy. Despite losing to Martina Hingis in 1997, she finally won Wimbledon a year later.

In doing so, she became the oldest first-time Grand Slam singles winner in the Open era at 29 years and nine months.

Originally published as Tennis champion Novotna dies

2 Likes

Our LGBTQI friends don’t appreciate your kind of humour. Our straight friends don’t appreciate it either.

1 Like

I’ll marry you next time, Serena!

I just have to accept it.

She was never going for you, she’d prefer someone more manly like me anyway.

Manly?

Some say beastly.

1 Like

When you say ‘some’, yourself isn’t included.

1 Like

Says who?

Says convention.

You guys that post in this thread do you actually ever talk about tennis; OR know anything about tennis; OR have any interest in tennis whatsoever? The evil empire wiped out all of our decent tennis courts and replaced them with painted or covered slabs of concrete, but we still seem to know more about the royal game than you yoyo’s from the once former great tennis nation of Oz.

Actually it can be either way.

Australia was good at tennis, real good when no one else played. Been hard yakka since the 80’s.

I guess participation within the European nations increased during the 80’s (I assume this is fact?); but I also think they jumped ahead of us with better coaching and tactical appreciation of where the game was heading given the increased use of hard courts and bigger rackets.

I don’t think Diggers knows much about tennis.

2 Likes

Yeh he probably thinks Sam Stosur is one of the great Australian women tennis players of all time. Problem is, based on slams won, she is.