The Tennis thread

I went last night too, had awesome seats. It’s a privilege to watch Federer play. Agree on Osaka, she looked good. I thought sugita showed a bit, was more of a opponent that gasquet last year. Although his backhand was pretty weak and easily exposed.

1 Like

Good observation on Sugita. He was found out on the backhand pretty early on but the rest of his game wasn’t too bad. Little guy but he moved and served well. As you said, at least he came to play. Bencic has the capability to make the top 20. Early in the season but if she can continue to improve her fitness she should be on her way this time next year.

I watched some of it on TV. Basil Zempilas is in love with Federer. He literally wouldn’t leave him alone from the moment his singles match finished

Federer has earned every cent of his (rumoured) $3m appearance fee. Should have requested more to put up with B Zempilas.

Tennis is cheap to play. just need a raquet, and all the public school tennis courts are free.
But to be any good, need coaching which is expensive.
And all the junior kids that are any good, usually go to private schools and get coaching 3-4 days a week, parents are right behind them, plus play lots in spare time. And then the schools put pressure on them having like grade 7/8 students playing against grade 12 students as they are the next best young thing.

The Kokk beat Zverev at the Hopman Cup. Now before you say it was effectively just a practice match, a win’s a win’s a win. If the Kokk can keep it together, he’ll be in the Top 20 within 18 months.

Hopefully the Kokk isn’t a ■■■■ like some of his mates.

Rooting others girlfiends doesn’t already qualify him then?? :smirk:

haha…probably.

Wasn’t she single at the time though???

1 Like

BSD is from the timeperiod of don’t touch a mans wife or wallet.

BARTOLI’s MAKING A COMEBACK???

I’ve already told the Mrs’ to leave the room for a few minutes.

agreed Diggers. Zverev was playing good tennis at the start and his intensity was up. great win by Kokk as he worked his way on top of a class act. If he can get 12 months of continuity in his tennis we have another star who has the game to win a slam. but whether the 2 Ks can get the physical and mental condition to get thru a slam is still very unknown.

I said a couple of years that TKo would be the best of this generation. Kyrgios is a bit of a freak, and DeMinaur channels a young Lleyton, but Kokkinakis has the perfect modern game; strong serve that generates plenty of freebies and a superb top spin heavy forehand that allows him to over power just about anyone from the baseline. If stays fit, he goes top 10

Whilst Kygrios’ injuries might have been contributed to by lazy training, the other issue is that both Ks have been hitting the ball so incredibly hard from such a young age, before their bodies matured.
The stress on shoulders and knees and elbows is considerable. They might be ok by their mid 20s but Kygrios may not have a long career, so he needs to get his act together in the next 3 years or so.

Zverev is an interesting case - Leapt into the top 5 with 2 Master’s victories which are next level down from a Grand Slam - Yet he has an uninspiring record in Grand Slams - Think Kyrgios leads the head to head 2 - 1.

That saga was due to that flog Kyrgios, not Kokkinakis.

Put a bit of cash up and they go for it. First time I’ve seen them take this tie break tens proper serious. Good to watch