The Tennis thread

Why’d you comment then?

The poms love the Don as much as we do.

He has a huge portrait front and centre in the Long Room at Lords.

Some sportsman transcend all sport and it’s not as important where they finish up.

He is as much a part of international cricket as he is Australian cricket in my opinion.

1 Like

And that’s all well and good. Play a series there by all means but finish off in front of your fellow countrymen and women.

The only other player I can think of who comes close to D Bradman in modern times would be S Tendulkar. Imagine if he decided to finish his career in front of us instead of in India?

1 Like

Simply because I thought you were over-reacting. Each to their own though…

Or there is another well named thread we could re-convene to :slight_smile:

I think they are miles apart.

Warne probably has more universal appeal than Sachin.

Sachin is obviously highly respected in this country but far from worshiped like the true greats of sport.

I can understand your perspective though. The Don apparently rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way so finishing in England isn’t going to help.

Ok. Imaging if S Warne had decided to end his career in front of English fans instead of Australians? Warne (like Bradman and Tendulkar) had the luxury of finishing their careers on their terms.

Well considering I work full time I actually see more of an Ashes series in England then one out here, so I wouldn’t complain :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m not disagreeing with you.

I just don’t see it as a massive deal.

Ali’s last fight was in the Bahamas.

But Ali wasn’t leaving on his terms.

It’s not a big deal but it takes away from the legacy.

1 Like

Surely Noonan’s point has to be considered? 2 and a half years later was a very long time to wait.
Or do you think he should have played the 48/49 summer for Australia and retire against someone other than England?
Or retire in the 46/47 summer when presumably he still had the desire to play.

He could have done all of those things but chose to finish against England.

In your eyes

Hey? That doesn’t make sense.

Edit: Oh you mean, he could have done any one of those things…not all.

The whole discussion doesn’t make sense.

ah yes. I think we agree on that :slight_smile:

anyway @Diggers, let’s get this back on topic. I have something for you and @Crazy_Bomber to discuss.

Who will win more grand slams (singles) from this point forward… Novak or Serena?

Again it is more apparent what

"Diggers is stupid " is all about.

3 Likes

Go fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yourself

1 Like

Never once have I heard anyone in any form of commentary say “Yeah, Bradman was fantastic but to play your final match overseas and not in front of your home crowd really takes away from his legacy”

And I’ve also never heard someone refer to a person by their first initial of the first name and then their surname
D bradman
S Warne

F me

1 Like