The Tennis thread

Philo actually played Davis Cup, … and won us a couple off his own racquet.

It’s a fkng insult to compare him to either of these Brats.

He was at his best, and gave his absolute all when playing for his country.

1 Like

Meanwhile everyone overlooks just how good De Minaur is playing, has won his first few matches easily with a few to love games, is ranked 45 before this tournament at just 19 and has made ATP finals this year and beaten some top seeds. He’s having an incredible year. Doesn’t get the love or hype that Tomic/Kyrgios does, but his mental game is outstanding. He could very well be a top seed in 5 years.

Also Millman had a surprise win to make the third round, beating the 14th seed.

4 Likes

The Poo actually made 2 Grand Slam Finals. These current pissants wont

2 Likes

Wasn’t poo’s problems of the daddy variety

Probably for the best.

Although I wouldn’t say that those two get much love anymore

Yeah, he’ll keep climbing the rankings and then in a year you’ll get “this guy is top 20? who’s he?”

He has a very strong mental game, and he’s solid everywhere else and consistent, probably a bit early at 19 to work out his strengths as he’s still developing his body.

Like I said, I marked him hard at the time. Too hard in hindsight. Probably because he had guys like Rafter and, later, Hewitt around him who chased every ball like it could be their last.

Beyond his peak, he was fragile - both mentally and physically - which has coloured my memory of him, as he achieved more than many (myself definitely included) give him credit for.

These two pissants absolutely are taking us all for fools - running around like rockstars, putting in minimum effort, tarnishing Australia’s tennis reputation, all the while being paid ridiculous amounts of money for ■■■■-all return. Mental pygmies both of them.

Tomic isn’t being paid big bucks anymore, he’s struggling to qualify for Slams and now ranked 150 odd. I doubt he’ll get another one for the Aussie Open too coming up. I think most are done with him.

He was a sensitive guy, and our whole coaching staff knew it. His career started to come unstuck after Newcombe and Roach (Davis Cup Coaches) BOTH sat in Rafters box when he played Philo in the US Open final, … to deliberately unseat him, and try and ensure Pat (Golden dinkum Aussie boy) Rafters win, which it did.

Never forgiven either of the prickz. They should have gone one each.

Scumbag move.

Kyrgios, De Minuar, Tomic, Kokkinakis, Ebden, Millman etc. Some good talent in there.

Not before time either!

It’s high time sponsors/backers etc. pulled their support for the other joker too and let him fend for himself, but no… as long there’s the remotest thought of him winning something the apologists and sycophants will be there ball-deep telling us of his talent, and that he’s just misunderstood…

Just saw the Umpire “Coaching” Kyrgios incident, … fkn lul WUT??

Bizarre stuff.

Kyrgios has about 2 years to get it all together, or else it will be all gone. Kokk will have to get some consistency by next year or it will suggest his body isn’t made for big tennis. Nick has a physical problem as well as the mental lapses, as he is very injury prone.
I think he’ll beat the big 4 occasionally over the next 2 years but probably can’t go for 2 weeks without getting injured & playing poorly which excludes him from winning slams.

I personally reckon therell be a year where Nick puts it all together and his hodu holds out, he will win a slam and then check out of tennis completely

I want a year when Essendon’s hodu holds out.

I reckon Kyrgios’s injury problems relate to lack of training and physical preparation. If he put the effort in off court, I reckon things would improve.

Edit: But he’s a ■■■■■■ and I’ve given up hope of him ever turning things around.

Fancy Kyrgios to beat Federer - Last two meeting have been close three setters in which Federer has got over the line.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he does beat Fed.

And then lose to some journeyman no one has heard of in the next round

3 Likes

Kyrgiosington

1 Like

I have Kyrios in the Monfils/Tsonga catergory, good flashy players who are more talented than anyone and are fun to watch but don’t have the consistency of application that the best handful do.

You can put Nick’s injury history down to his poor off field preparation and training standards.