Sandor Earl interview

Interested to see what other posters think. To me he comes across as a young lad who has been burn't by trusting his elders. Let down by the negligence of his club and a fruit cake sports scientist. Dank is a nasty piece of work who has caused immeasurable damage to the boy and our club.

I agree and feel incredibly sorry for Sandor. His club should take some responsibility. Great interview by Karl

Dank is a snake and is obviously only interested in himself. Apparently he’s coming up now

Dank challenges the chemical basis for WADA/ASADA substance prohibition by administering ‘banned’ substances today and fighting for vindication tomorrow. He does not challenge WADA/ASADA on laboratory facts and data alone. The victim isn’t a lab rat, it’s a sportsman operating under the WADA code.

That is all.

Burn’t.

Bur not.

Good article by Andrew Webster on Earl in Age. Caro should learn some journalist skills from this guy. Not sensationalist, tells the facts and gets the story told.

I have no sympathy for Earl, and it is too easy to blame Dank. All players including Bombers need to take responsibility for what is taken into their bodies. Now that said, our Boys had signed documents stating that they wre no taking anything illegal, so it is hard to do more than that and their Club Doctor knew what was happening. Doc Reid may not have agreed but he knew.

Earl was complicit in hiding his treatment, so he gets what’s coming. And the Phuket link is the clincher.

Good article by Andrew Webster on Earl in Age. Wilson should learn some journalist skills from this guy. Not sensationalist, tells the facts and gets the story told.
I have no sympathy for Earl, and it is too easy to blame Dank. All players including Bombers need to take responsibility for what is taken into their bodies. Now that said, our Boys had signed documents stating that they wre no taking anything illegal, so it is hard to do more than that and their Club Doctor knew what was happening. Doc Reid may not have agreed but he knew.
Earl was complicit in hiding his treatment, so he gets what's coming. And the Phuket link is the clincher.

if everything that is stated about sandor i do feel sorry for him penalty wise , if all the facts are on the table because wadas/asadas traffick laws are huge by their concept , you would have thought 6 months no fault clause would have been a correct punishment ?   but also we are not privy  to how he got caught ...  was it phone taps ?, positive test ? , did dank put him in ?   etc something else .

But if we count all the facts between sandor and essendon as true there is a HUGE glaring difference .

Sandor by all admissions knew the name of cjc and didnt check and trusted dank.

Ess was accused of taking tb4  , not one player new it by name or nature and it wasnt written down on any form .

Dank challenges the chemical basis for WADA/ASADA substance prohibition by administering 'banned' substances today and fighting for vindication tomorrow. He does not challenge WADA/ASADA on laboratory facts and data alone. The victim isn't a lab rat, it's a sportsman operating under the WADA code.
That is all.

what does that even mean

Dank challenges the chemical basis for WADA/ASADA substance prohibition by administering 'banned' substances today and fighting for vindication tomorrow. He does not challenge WADA/ASADA on laboratory facts and data alone. The victim isn't a lab rat, it's a sportsman operating under the WADA code.
That is all.

?

Dank challenges the chemical and functional basis for which substances are deemed banned. He doesn’t respect nor abide by the code on that basis.

please dont tell me the afl charged us with stuff over a rugby player , gonna throw up

Sandor Earl insists sports scientist Stephen Dank repeatedly assured him he was not being injected with banned peptides - and to hide his treatment from the Penrith club doctor because "we should not be telling anyone about this".

In an interview aired on The Footy Show on Channel Nine on Thursday, the 24-year-old also denied he was a drug cheat and questioned if the Panthers coaching staff knew he was under the care of Dank while recovering from a double shoulder reconstruction in 2011.

"Dank said, 'We should not be telling anyone else about this'," Earl said. "We should keep this between ourselves. That pitches me to be a bit naive. He said, 'If we talk to the club doctor about it, he'll be a bit worried about it. All club doctors are. They see anything out of the box as a worry, a bit too much to handle'. After that spiel, I kind of took it on board and thought, 'He makes a good point'."

Advertisement

Breaking his silence on how his association with Dank led to him admitting to ASADA investigators he took and trafficked the banned substance CJC-1295, Earl also revealed:

• Cabramatta doctor Ijaz Khan, who administered the injections, assured him the peptides were not banned because he "wouldn't trust anyone more than Stephen Dank".
  • That he never paid for any of the substances and that strengthened his credibility;
  • That he received no major benefits from the drugs,
  • He denied that he had "rolled over" on other NRL players, and that other players had been interviewed on the basis of his revelations to ASADA;
  • That Dank told him he had "full rein" with AFL powerhouse Essendon when Earl met their coaching staff, including suspended coach James Hird, for a trial;
  • That he intended to return to rugby league, despite facing a ban of up to four years.

The interview did not address the issue of whether Earl supplied or sold peptides to NRL players or other members of the public, but he denied importing substances from Thailand.

"No, and it's disappointing to hear that a simple holiday destination has turned into me importing things," he said.

But the most telling admission related to his repeated assurances from Dank that CJC-1295 and Thymosin were not banned.

Earl said he asked "more than once if I can get in trouble with this" and Dank assured him he would not.

"I raised that quite early," he said. "This wasn't a conversation of, 'These things won't turn up in tests'. This was a conversation of, 'These are not banned substances'. I would never use banned substances. He's been employed by other NRL clubs, doing the same things … I take full responsibility for what happened, and what's going to happen. Was I a victim [of someone] who abused power and trust? Yes I was."

Asked if alarm bells should have gone off when he "went off reservation" to Khan's Cabramatta clinic, Earl said: "If he was taking me to his mate's place in the backshed of his house, I'm asking questions. He's taken me to a legitimate doctor whose job is to work on legitimate rehab and management. It paints a picture that I can trust the situation."

Earl insisted he did not pay Dank for the treatments - "in my mind, I'd like to make a fair point that adds to [my] credibility" - but said he expected the Panthers sports department to know how its athletes were being treated.

The Panthers were charged $1160 for 12 treatments, but have strenuously denied reports they paid for the peptides and not the injections. The club is expected to make a statement on Earl's interview on Friday.

"Those bills coming in over a thousand dollars, I would've expected to be asked a question," Earl said. "That just shows that people knows what was going on in my mind … You think they would know, yes. Surely, there should've been a conversation. Did they have a conversation with Dank? You would have to think so."

On the charge of trafficking, which threatens to blow Earl's suspension out to four years, he said Ijaz told him he was "running out" of CJC-1295.

Earl then picked up a box containing the substances, before returning to Cabramatta.

"Looking back, who'd have thought something purely out of convenience would come with these problems," Earl said.

In the interview, Earl also explains how Dank set up a meeting with Bombers coaching staff - including Hird - when they were in Sydney to play the Giants.

"Dank told me he was there for a supplement program and he has 'full rein'," Earl said. "He seemed to be enjoying it quite a lot."

Asked if a text message between Dank and former Bombers high-performance manager Dean Robinson about the use of thymosin to overcome a shoulder injury - as revealed in the interim ASADA report to the AFL - was about him, Earl said: "That's come to my knowledge of late and I believe it is. I can't relocate which one it was. It could've been one of the banned [forms] or not."

Earl said ASADA had given no indication of how long he might be suspended from the game.

"I think I've been able to really help them out with what they are trying to achieve, especially with Stephen Dank. That was the basis of my 'substantial assistance'. I can't cut a deal with ASADA."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/dank-didnt-come-clean-with-me-earl-20130926-2uh9r.html#ixzz2g2VVrRjS

Dank challenges the chemical and functional basis for which substances are deemed banned. He doesn't respect nor abide by the code on that basis.

yeah dank knows best - complete farktard with tickets on himself and no respect for the people around him - knew exactly what to say to hirdy to get him on board and suck him in - carlton are *****, the pies are juiced and i can work myricals - hirdy let himself down when he bought into this guy's wildwest elixirs, let the club, the fans and the players down even more.

Can't help thinking that there's a lot more of this to play out AFTER the grand final :(
Despite best intentions, I think our 'deal' to 'quarantine' the supplements saga to 2013 is going to unravel.

Dank challenges the chemical and functional basis for which substances are deemed banned. He doesn't respect nor abide by the code on that basis.

What's wrong with questioning the validity of what you perceive to be unjust laws?

I don't respect a hell of a lot of our civil laws. I also don't abide by some of them. Doesn't me a bad person.

The AFL need to get to the bottom of this or it will remain a UXB forever. I dont want to see a best seller novel at the end of a career that 'tells all '. It must happen now!

That Dank told him he had "full rein" with AFL powerhouse Essendon when Earl met their coaching staff, including suspended coach James Hird, for a trial;

He met with and had links to James Hird and his team of coaches, he must be guilty. I saw the interview and Karl specifically asked if the meeting included James Hird. Whoever would have thought that being linked to James Hird would be an unsavoury and ugly scenario.... The media have certainly painted the picture and it appears to be sticking. 

That Dank told him he had "full rein" with AFL powerhouse Essendon when Earl met their coaching staff, including suspended coach James Hird, for a trial;

He met with and had links to James Hird and his team of coaches, he must be guilty. I saw the interview and Karl specifically asked if the meeting included James Hird. Whoever would have thought that being linked to James Hird would be an unsavoury and ugly scenario.... The media have certainly painted the picture and it appears to be sticking. 

yes who ever would have thought that trialing for a club would include meeting with the coach  , i have never been so shocked

on a sidenote just mentioning jimmy for a promo would have given them and extra 20 % viewers for the night  ,  maybe 40% if if it was screened live in melb

Sandor Earl. Sounds like he should be in Game of Thrones.

Sandor Earl. Sounds like he should be in Game of Thrones.

Nah, Should be in Vikings!!!

yes who ever would have thought that trialing for a club would include meeting with the coach  , i have never been so shocked

who would have thought that when Sandor Earl said he met with the entire Essendon coaching panel that of course that would have ■■■■■■■ included the Senior Coach, ie James Hird.

■■■■■■■ ridiculous question.

I don't think Sandor Earl was overly convincing, I mean he probably isn't the smartest bloke going around but lets get this right

Dank took him off site for treatment with a doctor

Dank assured him the everything was legal

The doctor assured him everything was legal because  he didn't believe Dank would lie about something like that (that not the same as the doctor telling him the substance was legal, which he originally claimed)

Dank told him specifically not to discuss what they were doing with anyone at the club, in particular the club doctor

Dank was the one providing the substance to the doctor

He cannot remember anyone at Penrith asking him about his treatment despite the fact they would have been receiving invoices for it because as he said he was never asked for money.

He was either incredibily naive, incredibily stupid or was a willing participant in something he must have known was dodgy. I say it probably started of as the combination of the first two, but by the end of it he must have known something was up, particularly when he came back from his injury 2 months early. I don't believe for a second he did not have any inkling that something might have been wrong until the "Blackest Day in Sport" presser on Feb 5th.

The only thing I feel sorry for him about is the trafficking charge, if it is how he tells it, to be facing a minimum of 4 years banned, because he picked something up from one doctor's surgery (because he was nearby) and drove with it to another doctor's surgery to be injected with it seems to be particularly harsh.