SCG Training Summary - 06-05-2016

I thought I would try and repay for all the training reports that I have read by outlining a few points from today’s captains run at the SCG.

• There was about 40 people present to watch training with most hanging around at the end to ask some questions of Harvs, Sheeds and Xavier Campbell
  • All 22 were present along with Langford as the travelling emergency. Cooney didn’t really train but was out on the ground doing some short kicking and also did some boxing at one stage. Grima didn’t do all the same training as the rest the whole time but was involved with the main group the majority of the time
  • Based on what was mentioned after Training would seem Hartley is most likely to play on Buddy
  • From training would seem that the 3 talls in Daniher, Mckernan and Brown will play forward
  • One drill had Joe in the fwd 50 with 2 of Zach Merrett, Fantasia and Baguley. Not sure if this could mean that Baguley may spend some time up forward tomorrow or was just for training purposes.
  • Tried to keep an eye on Redman and he looked really composed and used his voice a lot. Seems like he will spend most of the time forward tomorrow.
  • At the end of training with shots on goal Walla kicked a right foot checkside from the wrong side for a right footer right on the boundary line about 30 metres out that hit the post which caused some excitement from the players nearby as it must have looked like it was going in from where they were standing.
  • There was talk about both Long and Eades getting a game at some stage this year in the after training session.

Good one mate. Well done, & thanks.

Great work.

Some nice background there magilla.
Thanks for the insights.

Just got home from the SCG where the club held an open training run for NSW members then a Q&A session with Harvs / Sheeds & Xav
Probably about 50 of us diehard supporters there we had the front few rows of the ladies stand
Excuse any typos but typing this on iPhone

Training - noted that Cooney was on the ground & didn’t train but Langford was amongst it
Dempsey had plenty of goal kicking practice do maybe forward tomorrow
Skills overall were a bit casual initially but really picked up as the session went on and I especially watched Joe taking his shots from the “wrong side” boundary for him
He nailed maybe 3 from 7 all tough shots but his ball drop was still all over the place (more on that later)

After training all the players headed straight of the ground much to the dissappointment of the 20 or so kids who were there with their autograph pens at the ready
They were relieved to see Woosha heading our way and he was more than accomodating signing stuff & taking pics with the supporters

I was wrapt to get Harvs sign the front sash of my old woollen VFL jumper 30 years after he signed the no. 38 on the back!!
He was mildy chuffed that I still had kept it
I’m gonna get it framed cos I sure can’t squeeze into it any more
I said to him on the quiet “it’s gonna get ugly tomorrow eh Harvs”
His reply “it will for fkn Sydney”
Gott love his passion eh

Q&A forum
Sheeds arranged for the club photographer to take a “team photo” with him & all of us in front of the stand then we headed up to the seats for an open mike session

Briefly (from memory)
Harvs - really happy with how the backline is holding up under the pressure
Made lot of mention of Hartley & says we’ve got a good one there. He asked who we should put on Buddy tomorrow “we all yelled out - everyone!”
I think he’s got Hartley in mind
Says we will love Francis when he gets a run at it
Long - still being developed but says he’ll play firsts this year some time
Eades - is a ripper in front of goals with good pace to burn. He’ll get a run this year

Sheeds - usual Sheeds he gave us some insight to the last 2 mins of the 96 prelim & who should’ve intercepted Locketts mark. He didn’t blame Olerenshaw
He was super positive about the future and rightly so said this season will stand the club in good stead despite the results
Mentioned that we should expect better up forward tomorrow & selections have been based on Swand only tall KPD is Grundy
Lots of banter between him / Harvs & the supporters you wouldn’t have known we’ve only won one game
Said he was dancing all the way home after the Melbourne game & was so proud of the club & supporters that day
Blamed Anzac Day on stage fright
It’s good to have Sheeds back

Xavier -
Addressed the players yet to re-sign for next year
Says he been more involved in their general well being & ensuring they are in a good frame of mind rather than pressuring them to re-sign quickly
Said how each player has handled the situation differently
Very impressed with his calm demeanour & professional manner
Did say though that one more player has agreed to terms & about to sign
Two others have also agreed & ready to sign
Very confident all will return

All in all was a great way to spend the arvo in the sun but would’ve been good to meet the players as we only get to see them 1-2 times a year but understood it was a fly by training run on the way from the airport to the hotel

Am actually looking forward to tomorrow accepting that if we get within ten goals of Shitney we’ll have done OK
Also got asked by the prez of NSW Bombers if I wanted to hold the ropes on the run thru banner so there’s at least one highlight

Go Bombers

Sheeds - usual Sheeds he gave us some insight to the last 2 mins of the 96 prelim & who should've intercepted Locketts mark. He didn't blame Olerenshaw

Blumfield with a couple of minutes left was the key moment.

Outstanding WasA!! Cheers.

Great reports! Thanks guys

Thanks for sharing magillacutty!

Thanks guys.

Nothing said about Dunkley in the 96 prelim? I was there, watching him smash Hird’s face into the ground. Later he said “nothing in it”. Anyway, Carey fixed up Dunkley the next week. I was there for that too, barracked for Norf all day. .

Did you both make it to the photo op @magillacutty & @wasaharvsfanasakid ?

Thanks for the reports.

“It will for fkn Sydney…”

That’s the way, brother.

"It will for fkn Sydney..." </blockquote
Did you both make it to the photo op @magillacutty & @wasaharvsfanasakid ?

Thanks for the reports.

https://twitter.com/EssendonFC/status/728509684261527552

Yeah just to the left & behind Sheeds
BTW huge shout out to Nicky (next to Sheeds left)
NSW Bombers Lady President who put out the word about today
Nothing said about Dunkley in the 96 prelim? I was there, watching him smash Hird's face into the ground. Later he said "nothing in it". Anyway, Carey fixed up Dunkley the next week. I was there for that too, barracked for Norf all day. .

It was mentioned that Hirdy was sniped
Sheeds did give our boys a big wrap on their ticker that night with all our injuries how we nearly stole the win
I was there that night too & every game we’d played at the SCG since South become Sydney

Funniest thing about that home crowd that night - if you ever watch a replay you’ll notice virtually no Swans colours
It was pretty much the first night the bandwagon got loaded up with first time “supporters” and they’ve been the most ignorant bunch of cocksmokers ever since !!

Thanks for the report/s Magilla and wasa, sounds like it was a great afternoon.

It was transparent cheating. Closing minutes of the game, and all that lunk Dunkley had to do was hold the best player in the game to the ground for an extended period (any eye gouging was a bonus). It wasn’t like the Sydney umps were going to give Hird a free.

DJR: Umps claimed not to have seen it - umpteen video replays later, on TV, forced a report, Dunkley got an injunction to play next week - but not that he played - would have been worst on ground.

Thanks for the report guys. Good to read insights of what we might be able to expect tomorrow.

Did say though that one more player has agreed to terms & about to sign Two others have also agreed & ready to sign Very confident all will return

Hoping one of those is Hurley.