Science…

This is just so…■■■■■■■ beautiful…

1 Like

Just started watching a documentary series on Netflix called Ancient Aliens.

I suspect it has no place in this thread.

3 Likes

That’s from the early ninties isn’t it?

I watched a couple of eps on U Tube a bit back for a nostalgia hit.

They were really good at the time.

Did these suggest that things like the Pyramids and Machu Picchu were built by aliens?

Funny that no-one suggests the Parthenon and the Colosseum were built by aliens.

Might be more than a smidge racist.

2 Likes

I think these ones are from 2010 or thereabouts. There’s actually 2 series of them ! Amazing

1 Like

In the two episodes i sat through, it’s more along the lines that ancient humans were taught how to do things by “Gods” (which were - in the opinion of the shows premise - actually beings from space) and harness technology that we’ve since lost. There’s also a suggestion that they bred/genetically modified early humans which “explains the relatively sudden jump in human brain size”.

Its kind of interesting in the sense of wondering how/why early stoneage humans bothered moving 300-tonne granite blocks all around the country side and lining them up over large distances (seriously, wtf? Did they have nothing else at all to do?). And the early accounts of 'Gods" do have a very similar theme all around the world. But there’s some extraordinary, laughably presumptuous assertions made, at best.

Certainly the belief in some form of deity, whether animist or not, would have influenced (critically) these constructions.

Just no need to believe in aliens.

The trouble is that they do the rounds of various disciplines in giving the Nobel, and last year was the turn for immunology. So it probably won’t come up for another 6 years or so… if he lives that long.

And that Lasker doesn’t even credit his other major discovery (which should also deserve a Nobel Prize).

It’s a disgrace the way he has been ignored by Stockholm really because they have given at least two Nobels that are directly based on Jacques’ work, including last year’s.

1 Like

Sounds like someone trying to get easy money by doing a rehash of von Danikin (?sp) from the early '70s.

He’s actually in it, lol

He’s looking in good shape. But hopefully it’s not a case of him having to hang in there waiting for commonsense to prevail.

Not THIS October. As I tipped, this year’s Nobel in Medicine went to physiologists…

They would. be in strife with WADA though:

“The discovery has already led to potential drugs that aim to … fooling the body into thinking it is at high altitude, making it send more oxygen-carrying red blood cells around”.

1 Like

Ohhh no. Poor WADA. :no_mouth:

There is going to be a solar eclipse visible in Singapore on Dec 26. I’m really excited about this as I can’t remember whether I saw one as a young kid.

So, what can I do to prepare for viewing, especially for my younguns? Anything home made or better to get something more professional?

Don’t remember seeing this posted

2 Likes

Only the third human pathogen (with Smallpox and Wild Poliovirus type 2) and fourth overall (Rinderpest in cattle) to be eradicated.

So, this is a pretty historic announcement!

7 Likes
2 Likes

I mucked around with the newest version of these at a conference last week. Very cool.

We are still waiting on delivery !!!

We were told that there is a massive back-order for them, so numbers coming into Australia are very limited. Something like 500 in the near future. Don’t know how long you’ll be waiting, but they are very impressive bits of kit.