https://www.science.org/content/article/orangutan-plays-doctor-heals-himself
FFS! I know researchers who did similar to this twenty years ago and could not get it published in key journals and now it gets into Nature.
Different rules if you are from a major US University.
I heard one of them interviewed on an ABC program a while back ( he was doing some research here) . In the interview he was talking about the scope for manufacturing implements from strong paper, which could be recycled and replace the plastic ones used in clinical use for instance ( such as tweezers).
It doesn’t matter if it is a local conference or the Nobel Prize ceremony, questions from the audience are always the same aren’t they?
i can only speak with authority for the former…
and the winner is… microRNA
Hey @Albert_Thurgood , what the Fark ! I thought it was your turn to win this ?
Haha. I’m too old…
But seriously, it is criminal that they haven’t given it to Jacques Miller for either one of his two major discoveries: the role of the thymus (the last human organ whose function was defined) and discovering T and B cells of the immune system.
You probably would have one by now if you had not be exiled to Perth. You never told what you did wrong.
One thing I found interesting was the youngest winner of a Nobel for Physiology or Medicine was 31.
That’s my age! I still need to fight for research funding, let alone having something even close to consideration for a Nobel Prize.
Election as a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science ha some status.
I forgot to send my paper in.
Maybe next year.
after he got the Lasker there would have / should have been a good chance he’d be recognised by the Nobel committee
he definitely deserves it
you reckon that’s all it’s going to take?
Albert a Fellow of the Academy of Science ?
That is like being a Liberal Member, kiss enough bums and they take anyone
Seriously, I do love his work, if only I could understand it and make some money from it.
Probably not. It’s all a damn popularity contest these days.
It used to be about the science.
The science is easy to understand. Making money depends on business skills that I don’t have but you do. ![]()

