Scottish Independence

Fascinating issue which is finally due for resolution later this week.

Polls currently running at 51-49 Independence. Its going to be an absolute nail biter.

For me, I support the proposal. The Scots (one of the most liberal populations on earth) have for too often been ruled by Tories and been unable to shape their own destiny as a nation. Yes, even if the no vote succeeds, there will be some concessions on that front, but I don't think they go anywhere near far enough, and I support the Scottish people's desire to finally be free of their colonial masters.

Having said that, there are major implications which will result from a successful yes vote. Currency, banking systems, hell, even the fate of the Union Jack (and consequently, our flag as well).

Thoughts? Do you support the breaking up of the Union?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6vDzf-wSbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YkLPxQp_y0

It's a matter for the Scots, I have no opinion. I bet we won't change the Union Jack on the Australian Flag if they vote for independence, though.

It's only taken nearly 1000 years for this to come up for a start.

To me economically, the Scots have all the aces, particularly the gas fields in  the North Sea.

I see no harm in the yes vote succeeding.

YOU MAY TAKE MY LIFE BUT YOU WILL NEVER TAKE MY FREEDOM

It's a matter for the Scots, I have no opinion. I bet we won't change the Union Jack on the Australian Flag if they vote for independence, though.

Just means the UK invade Finland to keep the flag the same.

To me economically, the Scots have all the aces, particularly the gas fields in the North Sea.

You mean aside from falling output because the fields have already peaked and capital flight out of the country? A new currency, the lack of political/judicial/regulatory institutions.
It's a potential ■■■■■■■■■■■.

meanwhile, in Northern Ireland..

I did find it weird that the pro-Union vote had to call on the Orangemen from Northern Ireland to help make their point the other day.

A waste of everyone's time and would not be a beneficial thing for Scotland at all.

I did find it weird that the pro-Union vote had to call on the Orangemen from Northern Ireland to help make their point the other day.

What would Ian Paisley think?
Oh...that's right...his condition was recently upgraded to 'satisfactory'.

To me economically, the Scots have all the aces, particularly the gas fields in the North Sea.

You mean aside from falling output because the fields have already peaked and capital flight out of the country? A new currency, the lack of political/judicial/regulatory institutions.
It's a potential clusterfark.
I think Scotland has a lot of those institutions already. I've read my Inspector Rebus novels. He's always in trouble with the Procurator Fiscal and The Complaints (aka Internal Affairs).
But I do believe the oil fields off Aberdeen are well past halfway.

If I was a Scot I'd be voting yes without question. They're an independent minded people and, to my way of thinking, quite distinct as a race from the English. I like the Scots.

Hoping we get another vote sometime about the republic, but definitely not holding my breath.

If I was a Scot I'd be voting yes without question. They're an independent minded people and, to my way of thinking, quite distinct as a race from the English. I like the Scots.

Hoping we get another vote sometime about the republic, but definitely not holding my breath.

Not while OTT is in charge.

It's a potential clusterfark.

Potential, being the operative word here.

I don't think the establishment of political/judicial/regulatory institutions are insurmountable policy problems by any means.

I've said it before and I'll says it agin: the Scots need to ■■■■ off the Pound and get in with that sweet sweet Krone.

I always get confused when following teams or players from that side of the world. Like in Tennis Murray is Scottish but they say he is from Great Britain, then in the Commgames they are England, but then randomly in other sports when it suits them it's UK. Stupidest **** ever.

Worst part is they don't know either, talking to some English guy last week and he was like been a while since an Aussie male won anything not considering Murray's a closet ranga. Massive identity crisis. Splitting up would be better for the just sheer common sense.

I always get confused when following teams or players from that side of the world. Like in Tennis Murray is Scottish but they say he is form Great Britain, then in the Commgames they are England, but then randomly in other sports when it suits them it's UK. Stupidest **** ever.

Worst part is they don't know either, talking to some English guy last week and he was like been a while since an Aussie male won anything not considering Murray's a closet ranga. Massive identity crisis. Splitting up would be better for the just sheer common sense.

Seamus Heaney was a respected poet from Derry in Northern Ireland.
The Poms called him British because he was in the UK. He only regarded himself as Irish, not Northern Irish.

Antony Green explains how it will work here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/scottish-referendum/

oU0wSm0.png

Ever been to the UK?  It's the UK in name only.

They all hate each other!