Scotty Cummings on Open Mike ft Trade reminiscing

I thought the Heff pick was for Wanga? Or did we not get compensated there?

Mentioned it on the show both picks were scottys unless I misheard

1 Like

Sounds like something he’d make up…

Heff and Bomford were the 2 compo picks for Wanganeen

2 and 28 for Cummings. We committed murder on port in that trade

2 Likes

That’s incorrect. He didn’t play finals in 1996 according to my memory and info I can find online. I remember what I feel like was his last game against Adelaide at Princess Park. I remember him going half arsed at a mark one handed and knew that was the end for him. Lloyd also kicked a bag that day which sealed his fate even further.

1 Like

Spot on. AFL Tables which is very reliable says the final game of Home and Away was his last for us.

Trades were

Port Adelaide got Wanganeen (173 games) from Essendon for Pick 2 (Heffernan - 170 games) + Pick 25 (Bomford - 28 games) - Compensation Picks

Port Adelaide got Cummings (37 games for Port) from Essendon for Pick 5 (McAlister 6 games) and Pick 28 (Jason Johnson 184 games) - Trade

Draft guru is the best source of trade and draft history

https://www.draftguru.com.au/trades/year/1996

1 Like

Never heard of that one.

Cheers.

Damn Mike making ■■■■ up. He probley made the wiki edit

1 Like

Geez, we ■■■■■ about wasted first round picks these days…

2 Likes

It’s ripper site. Only issue is the games played is a bit confusing as its for the club they went to.

The 1996 draft for us was huge with 5 picks inside 28. We only nailed 2 picks with Heff an JJ. Certainly can’t recall Tim Williams who we took with pick 21.

EDIT

We also nailed the Rookie draft in 1996 - the first time it was held.

Pick 12 Mark Johnson
Pick 27 Gary Moorcroft

So true. Let’s not forget Sheeds then redrafted McAlister after he was delisted. Imagine Blitz that day!

Pwoah Sydney ■■■■ smacked port too. Pick 4 and 27 for Adam Hueskes

Leon Baker, Michael Long, Gavin Wanganeen and then Daniel McCallister wore the number 4. He really was the worst choice possible. 6 games in 5 years.

And West Coast went balls deep. 1 and 24 for Ian Downsborough

1 Like

Didn’t Sheeds go it alone and pick McAllister when no one else wanted him? He then told the recruiters I want to coach the first Maori, who the reminded Sheeds about Wayne Schwass.

1 Like

I remember wishing I had somewhere to vent after they redrafted him!

1 Like

Daniel McAllister was the Kevin Walsh, Dean Wallis scenario that didn’t work at all