Sean Murphy - fitness muggins

I think this is a reason (the systemic issues across multiple facets at the club) why Brad Scott’s appointment is even more important. He’s been at successful clubs, he’s been in an AFL job where he got to analyse what current successful clubs were and weren’t doing.

He obviously cannot (and should not) do it all himself but I think he brings a very unique, and well informed, perspective to this. He will know what standards need to be hit.

I said it when he was hired: he won’t be the coach to lead us to the next premiership, he will be the coach who corrects our path to get us heading toward it.

5 Likes

Another aspect the board and executive continues to botch and yet it’s crucial to onfield success.

Supposedly we had a shortlist of candidates pre saga which include Burgess IIRC

Thompson/McCartney however both recommended Robinson who supposed wasn’t on that list

We appoint Robinson , crazy amount of soft tissue injuries occur on top of the way supplement program was being run. it gets to a point where Hird and co go to CEO/board asking for him to be sacked but they don’t want to due to the associated payout.

We all know what happens thereafter ….

At which point we don’t bring in the best but promote someone already working at the club in Justin Crowe, who amongst other things ends up having both JD and Stewart off the park with OP for years. Our attempts at a press for success injury affected (wasn’t the only issue)

Once again rather than bring in the best, we end up with someone’s #2 in Murphy. And now we are having not just 1 but 3 young players ending up with back stress fractures, plus all the previous repeat soft tissue injuries.

….

Injuries are a part of the game, but other clubs injury prevention/management have been miles in front of ours.

Just fkn get it right for once!

5 Likes

Never bought the idea its the Hangar surface. Its definitely not a hard surface. Must admit i have wondered if too many sessions are completed in the inside Hangar fake grass surface which is obviously very different. Still wear footy boots however and just wonder what long teem affects(if any) it has on the body

2 Likes

i presume the indoor training area is mounted directly on a slab

1 Like

It has a 1/2 inch sponge type feel too it when you walk on it. Its soft but a different kind of manufactured spongey soft.

1 Like

Too much indoor basketball in the Hangar and not enough footy on the oval.

2 Likes

almost sounds like you are saying spongey but not to capacity. :stuck_out_tongue:

regardless i expect it’s mounted on a slab and i would hope that we don’t do too much high impact stuff on it.

1 Like

just strap these boys up and put them out there.
back in my day we each ate a bag of nails pre-match,
and we never whinged about stress.
what could possibly go wrong?

Going well Murph

Said this earlier in thread. My thoughts exactly

And every week there’s another 4 or 5 who miss out at both levels, not being listed as injured.

1 Like

Higher cushioned footwear inside the Hangar?

Would he also be captain and one of the best key defenders in the AFL because thats probably worth the wait.

that can invite rolled ankles if you are doing a lot of changing of directions or sideways movement.

Thanks, that makes me feel so much better. FMD and then my reincarnated self.

Just do the right thing and resign.

Again - too late.

He was headed back to Adelaide for family reasons, and he’s played a huge part in Adelaide’s resurgence, but again it’s not the only reason.

It’s called planning and development. Ours has barely started.

It is going to be a long road reaching Brisbane/ Melbourne level. Needs multiple facets of club corrected and synchronised. Maybe 3 more seasons.

Please Essendon find a good fitness/high performance coach. Murphy has to be on the nose!

it does bring up an interesting question, what qualifications do you need to run the whole program ? at any club
robinson and murphy from memory were strength guys, crowe was merely there.

Robinson didn’t seem to have much insight into running aspect of the game from memory.
makes you wonder what knowledge murphy has on it.

I get that there isn’t obviously alot of people who could have the knowledge and experience in all aspects, and you have to recruit guys in the system and hope they can pick up the rest.

but surely head of fitness would be identifying (like a coach) that ok I may have a strength background, i need someone to be in charge of running aspect. I need someone who’s well versed in say stretching and mobility, and recovery.

there seems to be, like the football department, teams who have a good fitness department that has the right set up off field, that changing any one aspect doesn’t have a major or catastrophic effect on the whole.
geelong being prime example, the weap supposedly had them big and strong early to mid 2000’s, and he’s been gone well over 10 years from there, yet they still massive bodies as a group, who can run harder and longer, despite a turnover of some sort no doubt.

so not only is it hiring questionable people who maybe don’t have the whole skillset, it’s structure to help whoever is in the job is severely lacking also, one would guess.