4. Pearce Hanley
  5. Jed Adcock

2013/2014 Rising Star Noms
Sam Mayes
James Aish
Lewis Taylor
Darcy Gardiner

Ins
Allen Christensen, Dayne Beams, Mitch Robinson, Liam Dawson, Harris Andrews, Josh Watts, Jaden McGrath, Josh McGuiness, Billy Evans (rk), Hugh Beasley (rk), Cian Hanley (rk), Matthew Hammelmann (rk)

Outs
Jonathan Brown, Ash McGrath, Brent Moloney, Joel Patfull, Jack Crisp, Andrew Raines, James Polkinghorne, Jordan Lisle, Patrick Weardon, Nick Hayes, Sam Michael, Isaac Conway

My prediction

Brisbane outperformed my expectations last year but looking over it all I get the feeling their season was over-hyped, It wasnt terrible but I dont see what they have done to improve where they need to improve this year. Their scoring was still reliant on Jon Brown when he played. The leading goal kicker was under 180cm and it is hard to see the replacement in the forwardline for Brown. This is a big issue when you are already the third worst attack in the league.

The players they have bought in are great, the only issue for me is they bolster a midfield which was developing nicely and didnt really need to be bolstered. It is the forward and the backlines that needed the work and I dont see enough how they are going to be better off this year in those areas. They sold a lot to get Beams and will be interesting to see if it pays off.

Better judges than me think Leppa did a great job last year but for mine he has just stayed on a similar trajectory to what Voss had them on. I think this year will be a much bigger test and it will be interesting to see how they negotiate it.

I expect Brisbane to finish in about the same spot. Somewhere from 14-16 is around the mark for me.

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink

...I also reckon that somehow, for reasons that make no sense... Leppitsch can really coach.

I don’t think he’s any worse than Voss, anyway.

Reckon they’ll have a decent year, maybe surprise a few, 9th to 11th for mine

Probably an elite midfield with a pair of magnificent ruckman in Luenberger and the improved Martin.
KPF in Close, McStay and Freeman are still raw and inexperienced which I can’t see them dominating opposition defenders. Patfull leaving also leaves a massive hole with Merrett probably forced to go back. McGuire is nearing the end with Clarke and Gardiner also very raw and experienced for KPB.

I can see an improvement especially with Christensen and Beams adding a lot of goals as excellent mids. However, not enough to push for the 8. Prediction: 14th.

Yeah their midfield is better than anything Voss ever put together. Chance to be the best side on QLD at least.
Not a super side, and there are holes, but they’ll be in a fair few games.
Pretty young list, too. Only Goose, Adcock and some scrubs over 26yo.

Played some attractive footy late last year. Hanley just flat-out bolting on the outside, great player to watch.

I personally think they have far too strong of a midfield to finish 14-16 in 2015.

Rockliff, Beams, Rich, Redden, Zorko, Christiansen, Aish, Taylor, Robinson with Hanley, Greene and Advock giving cameos is pretty impressive and it will see them win some games.

The only problem is that their defence and forwardline are probably bottom 2 in the league.

Could surprise a few and do well but are just as likely to fall in a screaming heap and lose due to not being able to kick enough scores and defend at the other end.

Will be interesting to see.

A reply to: @Allblack regarding QuoteLink

Brisbane

Their scoring was still reliant on Jon Brown when he played. The leading goal kicker was under 180cm and it is hard to see the replacement in the forwardline for Brown. This is a big issue when you are already the third worst attack in the league.

Not how I see it at all.
To me, he was holding them back in a way. Whenever he was in, they went to him (far too often) - and that hasn’t changed since 2010 or 2011 when Bradshaw and Fev left.

Sure enough, as soon as he pulled the pin, they suddenly grow the nads to blood Close & McStay, they get a bit of pace and mobility, options free up to Mayes & Paparone & Crisp & Green, and there’s a bit of unpredictability to their attack.
Borne out in the stats, too - their scoring went up without him (64 ppg in the 12.5 games with Brown, 77 in the 9.5 after he left).

Of course they’re a way off in terms of contested marking, let alone finishing, and I would be surprised if they don’t have some headless chook moments as tired young legs falter, but Brown’s really not been missed so far.
Now they just need to get rid of the big ginge minge, not only old & slow, but also pretty bad at playing footy.

full ground defence can be very leaky at times - Unless this massively improves they will finish in the bottom 8.

Talls are stil developing so if he they can hold their ground it will be a satisfactory season.

I agree with HAP. Brown was doing far more holding back than he was carrying of that forward line last year. Probably the last two years.

The midfield is pretty ■■■■■■ impressive, and it will be interesting to see if Stefan Martin’s form was an aberration. Because if it wasn’t, that’s going to be a really tough team to win the ball against.

I reckon McStay is gonna be alright, and I also reckon that somehow, for reasons that make no sense… Leppitsch can really coach.

They wont make finals, but in the last few weeks of the season, they will be in the mix of teams that mathematically ‘could’ make the finals. And them at the GABBA is gonna be a tough road trip.

Barrett pounds the absolute crap out of all things Essendon for three years and we take it.

He says a vague half interesting story about Tom Rockliff, Rockliff tells him to eat it and the football world applauds him for it.

Imagine we had someone with just ONE ball the size of Rockliffs.

I have a sneaky suspicion if one of our players had told Caro or Barrett to get ■■■■■■, they would have been disciplined by the AFL for it.

They’re the Bears, and they always will be.

The old Fitzroy jumper from 1975-1996 is back in Round 16 when Brisbane plays Melbourne.

According to the original merger agreement between the Bears and Fitzroy, Fitzroy’s jumper was to be worn in all games in Melbourne, of which there was meant to be at least 6 per season - the latter has rarely happened across 20 years.

Realistically speaking, there is no harm in either the Fitzroy red or Fitzroy maroon in Melbourne games.

Can’t see them in the finals, added midfield talent will take time to settle in. Matin played outta his skin last year and will struggle to replicate the form now the opposition coaches are onto him.

KPPs still required a few more years.

Backline is a real worry, they either rob their midfield of some talent or it will struggle to contain some top sides.

I think they will take a few scalps and sit 10-14 by seasons end.

Brisbane Best 22

B McGuire Clarke Gardiner
HB Hanley Merrett Adcock
C Rich Redden Aish
HF Christensen Paparone Zorko
F Taylor Martin Green
R Leuneberger Rockliff Beams
Int C. Beams, Bewick, Mayes
sub O’Brien
Emg: West, Lester, Staker

I need someone to help me out and let me know who Brisbanes Key forwards and Defenders are post Merrett and Brown.
Midifeld looks good. but key positions look terrible. but i dont watch brisbane that much. i expect them to beat all the teams below 13th and suprise a couple higher…but unless they can uncover a key forward they will rely on their midfield kicking a score, or keeping the game tight.

left with playing martin CHF/FF they really need either him or lueneberger to play as a key forward…similar to us with Giles/bellchambers, except they dont ahve a carlilse or Daniher for support.

Not sure if Mcgire would still be considered best 22 but meh.

Close, McStay and Freeman are all young KPF. Played the last third of the season and showed potential. At least 2 of them will start up fwd with Martin/Berger resting there.

A reply to: @Houli Dooli regarding QuoteLink

I need someone to help me out and let me know who Brisbanes Key forwards and Defenders are post Merrett and Brown.
Big loss on paper, maybe. Brown, Maguire, Merrett, Staker have been on the decline the last 4 years or so. It's not 2009, it's not 4 consistently high level, near AA players they're losing - it's 4 old blokes, still occasionally good, but showing their age, and definitely slowing. They were each missing 5 (Merrett) to 10 (Staker) games a year anyway over the last 4 years. Can you build a side around a spine who's only there half the time?

As a club they have done the right thing, post CRAZY VOSSY years - picked, and blooded, tall kids (take note, bulldogs). Another couple came in this year. They haven’t taken the world by storm yet and they won’t next year either but there’s plenty to work with.

Patfull definitely hurts - he was the only one who’s consistently there and he’s a consistent performer, and IMHO he has 2 or 3 good years left, but the other golden oldies are all month to month prospects. Christensen is at least worthwhile compensation for him though.

Rockliff new captain. Was calling for us to draft this guy. Is now a gun of the comp

Quoted Post

Rockliff new captain. Was calling for us to draft this guy. Is now a gun of the comp

bahaha, just looked it up. we took Skipworth before him in the 2008 pre-season draft (mind you every club would roll their eyes at this one).

Isn’t the type of guy you would want around a footy club.

Is a great footballer but a flog of a bloke.

That is coming from a person who played along side him.

Quoted Post

Isn't the type of guy you would want around a footy club.

Is a great footballer but a flog of a bloke.

That is coming from a person who played along side him.

Yep. And on the contrary, Skipworth is a helluva bloke, great cook, leader and mentor.

Still not sure we’re winning on that decision though.