1. Nat Fyfe
  2. Aaron Sandilands
  3. Stephen Hill
  4. David Mundy
  5. Hayden Ballantyne

2013/2014 Rising Star Noms

Matthew Taberner

Ins
Lachlan Weller, Connor Blakely, Ed Langdon, Josh Deluca, Ethan Hughes (rk), Sean Hurley (rk),

Outs
Kepler Bradley, Scott Gumbleton, Josh Simpson, Sam Menegola, Michael Wood

My prediction

There is an overwhelming feeling that Fremantle has missed its opportunity. Come the business end of last season they didn’t look a chance. They had their challenges with injuries but that argument holds little weight when you consider Hawthorns run last year. The best teams find a way. That is the problem at Freo, you always feel they have a bit of a soft underbelly. They don’t often put teams away and despite years of knowing their forward line is dysfunctional they have been unable to fix it.

For this year to be successful they need Pavlich to have a big one. 50 goals from Pav which I do think he is capable of. They have to gun small forwards in Ballantyne (I love him, one of my favourite non EFC players) and Walters. They need a big forward to have a big year.

The backline is as good as it needs to be when the rest of the team do so much of the work for them. The midfield is very good and hurt teams physically when they are at their best. They tackle hard and often when they are on. There was a final in 2013 which remains the best football I have seen any team play in the last two years. They are capable.

All that being said. Pav and Sandilands are a year older, a year slower and a year less effective. I think they will probably finish in the 4-6 range with the likelihood being they will miss the top 4.

I wonder how Lyon’s style is going to go in the brave new world of interchanged capped sub-less benches. I suspect the counter punching style might actually see a bit of a resurgence (for better or worse).

Hard to write off a team this consistent, but equally hard to see them getting it done in September without heroics from Fyfe.

I wonder how Lyon's style is going to go in the brave new world of interchanged capped sub-less benches. I suspect the counter punching style might actually see a bit of a resurgence (for better or worse).

Hard to write off a team this consistent, but equally hard to see them getting it done in September without heroics from Fyfe.

It could just as easily backfire on the AFL, and instead of having more open free flowing games, coaches like lyon could go full retard and just keep the majority of their side in the oppositions back half and clog it up even more.

Not sure how he got one. Certainly won’t win another

Anything other than injury or suspension stop Fyfe from winning the brownlow this year?

Priddis

Anything other than injury or suspension stop Fyfe from winning the brownlow this year?

Yeah not sure why they haven’t fixed their fwd line. Bringing in Gumby was NEVER gonna help. Taberner way too inexperienced and just doesn’t kick enough goals. To be fair though, they did miss out on Clark, Cloke and recently Frawley.

Spurr, Suban, Ibbotson and Duffield are all classy HBF but with McPharlin always injured, I can see a drop in that department unless Silvagni improves a lot.

Very good midfield. Got a good mixture of inside and outside runners. Sandilands nearing the end but Clarke, Griffin and Apeness arent bad replacements in the future.

Still have a chance at winning the flag in 2015 but the lack of another KPF would it make a little harder. Prediction: 6th.

5th

Unless their 2th to 4th year players step up big time they’ve missed their chance for 2015.

Finish in the second half of the eight.

Quoted Post

Outs Kepler Bradley, Scott Gumbleton, Josh Simpson, Tanner Smith, Sam Menegola, Michael Wood

And jBomber said we were stupid to use our first round picks on key position players… There was a time where these two were our CHF / CHB combo for the next ten years :lol:

As for Freo… yeah, I reckon they’ll drop a bit, might stay the same, but they’ll still be mighty farkin hard to kick goals against.

Pav isn’t quite ‘J Brown 2014 type’ cooked yet, but I don’t reckon he’s that far off. They really need a young forward to come out of nowhere this year.

Quoted Post

Unless their 2th to 4th year players step up big time they've missed their chance for 2015.

Finish in the second half of the eight.

B Dawson, McPharlin, Duffield
HB Pearce Johnson, Mzungu
C Neale, Barlow, Hill
HF Taberner, Mayne, Ballantyne
F Walters, Pavlich, Clarke
Fol Sandilands, Mundy, Fyfe

I/C Ibbotson, Suban, Crowley

SubCrozier

EMG Sutcliffe, Apeness DeBoer

You would hope apeness comes in as the second tall forward for Clarke, and can give Sandi a spell in the ruck.

Apeness, Morabito (knees), Sylvia (mental) if Ross can bring 3-4 players into the team who can contribute they still might be alright and win some finals.

(Draft) Blakely & Weller should be good picks interesting to see if they get a run early.

I thought McPharlin had retired.
Last shot for Pav, Sandi & Mcpharlin.

Top 10 goalkickers outlines the issue.
Pav at #2 with 40-odd, Clarke at #9 or #10 with 12 goals - every other position filled by a mid or small.

Really really badly need Clarke or Taberner (or Apeness, or whoever) to kick 25 odd, and take some pressure off the schnoz. I can’t see his replacement in the works, but they at the very least need to make sure he gets clear air to keep producing - and also take pressure off Mayne, and the (very very decent) bunch of smalls buzzing around. Big ask to keep doing so much of the work at 33 or whatever he is now. Didn’t help that Mayne was on one leg, not sure who they were kidding sending him out there every week, was clearly knackered.

Still have the best ruck I’ve seen, and one of the very best midfields in the league. Which, along with their rabid defensive work, keeps them in a lot of games. Backline works as long as Johnson holds up, he makes the whole line work.
Neale a huge find, not sure if I’d just not paid enough attention, but he was a bit of a nothing player prior to that derby, and he’s absolute quality now.

Neale had always been highly rated by Lyon.

Ideally they need apeness to have a season like daniher last year, play majority of games and kick 25+
and for pavlich to have a good year and stay fit and injury free.

Top four

People underestimate freo. I expect them to improve from last year

Neale has always had the ability just not the tank and seniors experience.

I remember him single handedly killing us in a NAB Cup game a year or two ago, over in Perth.

They’re simply not as good as Port, Hawthorn and Sydney. Better than everyone else though (at this stage). Should finish fourth.

A lot has been said about their big 3 getting older, but their other contributors are getting on as well. Mundy, Johnson and Duffield will all be over 30 by years end.

Fyfe will win the Brownlow if he stays on the park. Absolute gun, will be a top 3 player in the comp for years to come

Colin Sylvia ROFL
Banished to Peel Thunder.
Came back from a break overweight, unfit. Lyon unimpressed.
Gosh, who didn’t see that happening.

In the bunch of teams who can win it - don’t think they are in the best 4, but anyone in that top 6/7 teams can win it if they get an good run with injuries and other teams get decimated.

I hope they dive