3. Lance Franklin
  4. Kieren Jack
  5. Jarrad McVeigh

2013/2014 Rising Star Noms

Tom Mitchell
Jake Lloyd
Harry Cunningham

Ins
Isaac Heeney, James Rose, Jack Hiscox (grow up and stop sniggering), Abaina Davis, Sean McLaren (rk), Nic Newman (rk), Lewis Melican (rk),

Outs
Nick Malceski, Shane Biggs, Ryan O’Keefe, Lewis Roberts Thompson, Tommy Walsh, Jordan Lockyer, Matthew ■■■■, Patrick Mitchell

My prediction

I don’t often agree with Eddie McGuire but the AFL have given Sydney one hell of a ride. The level of talent across the park there is ridiculous. The horrifying thing is, I actually think they will improve this year and significantly.

Franklin got better as the year went on, this year I think him and Tippett will find a way to work together better and they will be even more dangerous. You then look at the midfield depth of them and they have players who cant get a game for them that would be a lock anywhere else.

They have the best performed backline in the competition although that is more of an overall team mentality rather than leaving the job to the back 6. Losing Malceski will hurt a little but I expect they will just move one of their midfielders back there to allow Mitchell a job in the middle.

Sydney will finish in top position. They should win the premiership. This doesn’t mean they will because footy is a funny game but they go into a season with all the cards in their favour.

Agreed.
#1, Flag.

Have they got a 1st ruck who’s better than our 3rd or (non-existant) 4th pick ruckman?
That was their weak point last year. Tippett doesn’t seem to like rucking, Reid’s too small, Derickx is not very good.

Yeah, besides Pyke their rucks are rubbish.
Looks like they’ll finally settle with Reid as a KPB. Rohan to settle in to take Malceski’s spot.

When you can’t fit in O’Keefe and Mitchell into your midfield, you know it’s a very good midfield. Hanneberry, Jack and Kennedy are still at their peak whilst Parker is just hitting it.

And of course they have two of the most dangerous KPF. Along with Goodes, McGlynn and other midfield/HFF rotations, they’ll be kicking lots of winning scores.

Their weakness: probably McVeigh and Shaw who are aging. Grundy gets caught out too often as well in the air and at ground level. Prediction: 3rd.

The whole competition is set up for them to be successful.they will make top 4 because the AFL needs/wants them to.

Hate them!

Quoted Post

Yeah, besides Pyke their rucks are rubbish. Looks like they'll finally settle with Reid as a KPB. Rohan to settle in to take Malceski's spot.

When you can’t fit in O’Keefe and Mitchell into your midfield, you know it’s a very good midfield. Hanneberry, Jack and Kennedy are still at their peak whilst Parker is just hitting it.

And of course they have two of the most dangerous KPF. Along with Goodes, McGlynn and other midfield/HFF rotations, they’ll be kicking lots of winning scores.

Their weakness: probably McVeigh and Shaw who are aging. Grundy gets caught out too often as well in the air and at ground level. Prediction: 3rd.

Including Pyke their rucks are rubbish! Was solid in 2013, regressed last year.

I’m just not that sure they’ll be that good. Perhaps I’m taking too much out of their laughable GF, maybe not.
As a club they’ve stayed where they are for so long not necessarily because of their stars, but because they’d always been able to afford 3 or 4 decent players more than anyone, and generally got them through trade week. Bar Buddy they’ve been locked out of that for 2 years now, result being they don’t have those extra numbers in reserve. They’ve got their 22, and they’ve got kids.

Malceski going hurts a lot. Of that 22, their best remaining half-back, Rhyce Shaw, is 33. Goodes, one of their few GF performers, 35. Richards 32, Pyke nearly 31 , McVeigh & McGlynn almost 30, Grundy almost 29. That’s 4 or 5 of their real leaders in their twilight years. Johnson will be back - and he’s a promising young backman - but other than him they’ve really only got inexperienced kids in reserve.

Starting midfield is as strong as anyone. Kennedy, Jack, Hanneberry, Parker - Bird does a job. You’d think Mitchell will play from round 1, and do well.
I obviously don’t see what everyone else sees with Rohan. Rarely pays his way IMHO - 11 disposals per game last year. He’s quick, but does he do enough that that’s acceptable? They need Jetta to take a decisive step forward - his final was inexcusable for a guy who’s now in his 5th or 6th season, but his H&A season was pretty decent. Lloyd & Cunningham were handy inclusions. Heeney comes with high expectations

B: Laidler - Johnson - Smith
HB: Shaw - Grundy - Richards
C: Jetta - Kennedy - Jack
HF: Parker - Buddy - Goodes
F: Cunningham - Tippett - McGlynn

R: Pyke - Hanneberry - Bird

I (from): McVeigh Mitchell Rampe Heeney Lloyd Reid… and not much else.

Handy 22. If they stay fit, they’ll be top 6 at the least.
But their depth, which they’ve been able to hold onto for all these years, and which has played a big big part keeping them up the pointy end, is poor. Couple of injuries, particularly to talls, and they’re starting Derickx in the ruck and Sam Reid at CHF…

Love Sydney.

HAP, Johnson ruptured his ACL again. Won’t play a game in 2015. And I’m not too sure on him being a FB either.

The guy plays as a 3rd tall (he’s only 193cm) or a ‘Mackie’ type defender (running rebounder).

A pox upon Sydney. Personally, I wish them the absolute worst for 2015.

B: Rampe - Richards - Smith
HB: Shaw - Grundy - McVeigh
C: Jetta - Kennedy - K Jack
HF: Parker - Buddy - Goodes
F: Cunningham - Tippett - McGlynn

R: Pyke - Hanneberry - Mitchell

I (from): Bird Heeney Lloyd
Sub Rohan
Emg: Reid, Laidler, B Jack

Shaw would love Malceski leaving saved his Career :slight_smile:
Reid will get a game cause coach loves him, maybe lose Heeney.
Rohan and Brandon Jack are alright. & Nankervis should be a decent ruckman in the future. Derickx battled well when he got opportunities in the ruck.
Xavier Richards might add to his games tally after being elevated.

Swans start second favourties for mine. Grand final loss would be mentally demoralising.
Goodes should have retired, would make easier for Reid to get games tho he will be spare tall forward/defender.
Buddy & Tippett should work better together this year.
Jetta will want to amend his grand final day. Rohan needs to improve or look back at vic for opportunities.

Prediction 1-4 they will do enough to earn a home final. and back themselves in if they have to play away week 1. Only team i Can see beating them is the Hawks.

Quoted Post

The whole competition is set up for them to be successful.they will make top 4 because the AFL needs/wants them to.

Hate them!

Top 3 highest TV rating grand finals in the last 10 years all Sydney games - the two against West Coast and 2012 vs Hawthorn
Lowest rating in the last 10 years was Hawthorn Vs Geelong 2008

With the AFL constantly aiming to push the TV broadcast rights up, it’s in their interest for Sydney to be successful because they bring Sydney audiences which create higher national audiences (Victorians watch anyway regardless of the teams)

I reckon:

B: Reid Richards N.Smith
HB: Rohan Grundy Shaw
C: Hanneberry Kennedy Jetta
HF: McVeigh Franklin Bird
FF: McGlynn Tippett Goodes
R: Pyke Jack Parker
I: Rampe Cunningham Mitchell
SUB: Lloyd
E: Laidler Heeney B.Jack

Tippett is the big wild card. Too injury prone for mine.
As for Jetta and the GF debacle? He got crunched pretty hard early
and that was all she wrote. l am not saying that he was targeted
deliberately, but it looked like he played hurt after that. That he had a
quiet day after that crunching tackle didn’t surprise.

l am not convinced they can maintain their possie on top of the AFL tree.

Premiers for me in 2015 - Expect them to regress in 2016.

Quoted Post

HAP, Johnson ruptured his ACL again. Won't play a game in 2015. And I'm not too sure on him being a FB either.

The guy plays as a 3rd tall (he’s only 193cm) or a ‘Mackie’ type defender (running rebounder).

Sucks for him, and them.
He’s one of these guys lines up on key forwards and tends to defend them in a particularly defendery way. I would call him a key defender but that’s just me.
PS someone had better ring Better tell Sydney they don’t have any key defenders at all, as he’s the tallest of their options (Richards and Grundy both 192cm).

Also, this is a really really stupid argument and it pops up here every. single. week.
Big guy who plays on the big forwards with the aim of stopping them kicking goals = key defender.

Heeny will be best 22 by round 6 in my opinion. Kid is a jet.

Quoted Post

Heeny will be best 22 by round 6 in my opinion. Kid is a jet.

probably won’t play by then will be sidelined for the next 10 weeks.

How? He is slowly get game simulation practice

Kurt Tippett out for 3-4 weeks after injuring his leg in an internal trial. Suffered a knock on the tibia/fibula joint

Quoted Post

Kurt Tippett out for 3-4 weeks after injuring his leg in an internal trial. Suffered a knock on the tibia/fibula joint
Hopefully he misses our game.