Season 2016 - Geelong

I know I said anyone but Hawthorn, but if it’s Geelong who breaks the streak the I farking give up

They’ve won 7 of the last 9 between them already

Hawks were pretty competitive yesterday without Hill/Shiels/Ceglar/Roughead. They just don’t have the depth to cover injuries as well this year and Cats were almost injury free.

Cats look as though they’ve got a lot of work in front of them to contend this year. Their forward line is not functioning, too big & struggling without a half forward marking/linking player, backline also looks too tall & struggling with quick forwards, nor are they transitioning well out of the backline, and midfield too reliant on Selwood & Dangerfield

Was convinced by about round 5 no one would beat this mob, now they’re all over the show.

Their midfield strength is weak, if Selwood and Dangerfield are kept in control they have no one else of that standard to pick up the slack. This puts enormous pressure on both their forwardline and backline. Hawkins is really struggling this year, he looks too big and is not proving to be mobile enough and his second efforts go missing for vast periods of the game. They need other more mobile forwards to help him out.

Their midfield strength is weak, if Selwood and Dangerfield are kept in control they have no one else of that standard to pick up the slack.
Is there a team in the league that's going to be just fine if you subdue its two best midfielders? Also, is there a team in the league that has as its third best midfielder someone as good as Selwood or Dangerfield to pick up the slack ?

Enough said

Turns out that Blake Caracella has walked out on the Cats with Richmond a likely target. Bring him home?

Turns out that Blake Caracella has walked out on the Cats with Richmond a likely target. Bring him home?

Hasn’t walked out, will be leaving at the end of the finals campaign

Bring him home? We kicked him out

I don’t get what geelong are trying to do.

In the last few years they have
traded chappy cos they had all these young guys coming through who needed game time.
next year they allow christianson to go to brissy, sure they still have some forward talent left.
then they get rid of stevie J
now they are offering up motlop for a hbf in deliedio.

So essentially they’ve traded out pretty much all of their small genuine forwards, and just tried to grab as many supposedly decent players, to just stick on the park.

They have Menzel and cockatoo as their only genuine forwards, maybe griegson too, and they’ve had to sell the farm and their “soul” the last 2 years to get all these players in.
I said this year would be a failure if they dont’ win the flag, and it should be seen as such, but next year if they don’t win it either, it should be considered a failure also.

I don't get what geelong are trying to do.

traded chappy cos they had all these young guys coming through who needed game time.
next year they allow christianson to go to brissy, sure they still have some forward talent left.

So essentially they’ve traded out pretty much all of their small genuine forwards, and just tried to grab as many supposedly decent players, to just stick on the park.

They have Menzel and cockatoo as their only genuine forwards, maybe griegson too, and they’ve had to sell the farm and their “soul” the last 2 years to get all these players in.
I said this year would be a failure if they dont’ win the flag, and it should be seen as such, but next year if they don’t win it either, it should be considered a failure also.

They are engaged in a race to the edge of the cliff. Freo won the race, North came second and now it is between them and the Hawks in a dual for third place

Going to be a very very serious conversation with Bartel , “when it happens this week” Cap space at a premium, younger players needed to achieve more of a balanced demographic going forward. If you can play in a prelim one year, you need to be able to retire a couple of pensioners each year or you do a “North”. and thats not good.

I don't get what geelong are trying to do.

They are engaged in a race to the edge of the cliff. Freo won the race, North came second and now it is between them and the Hawks in a dual for third place

No doubt the 10 year reign of the 3 “same olds” is coming to an end, and tbh, the competition needs new teams to bubble to the top. If it doesnt happen, 15 years of “equalisation” will be confirmed as a complete farce

Might need to have the same convo with Lonergan.

My Geelong-supporting rels reckon Bartel plays more good footy than Lonergan.

Might need to have the same convo with Lonergan.

My Geelong-supporting rels reckon Bartel plays more good footy than Lonergan.

I’d tend to agree with them (though not sure they’re quite as well covered in Lonergan’s position)

Hawkins?

Hawkins?

What about him?

Jen Hawkins?

Yes, please.

Jen Hawkins?

Yes, please.

More of a Kerr fan but either or