Season 2016 - GWS

Muchly agree

Surely the AFL should suspend McCarthy for failing to play? He should be suspended for a year (2017), he has signed obligations and is refusing to honour them. It is time the AFL started making it clear that a contract is a contract and penalties apply to those who, via their ■■■■■■■ managers, are failing to meet them? Also Freo should not be getting him for basically free just because they decided they didn't want to really pay for him when the chance was there.

If he’s got indefinite leave because of homesickness, then fair enough. A fine is fair.

But without knowing the specific details, it’s unfair to say he should be fined.
He could have a grandfather on his death bed, mother or father diagnosed with cancer or something similar. Under those circumstances, he’s entitled to some leave.

Or…
It could be the AFL’s way of punishing him for breaking the illicit drug code.
I’m surprised no one has been nabbed yet.

That worked with Mitch Clarke so well:
Im depressed… take a year off and get a nice payout… all of a sudden the dr says he is good to go… but only to a successful club.

'Boot I assume you had all your sht together when you were 19/20 and never made decisions that seemed awesome at first but proved to be a bit tough later?

Draft age should be 21.

I grew up in Adelaide and by the time I was 18 I was adamant I was going to have to move to Sydney at some stage as I was pretty ambitious career-wise and knew I had to up and move to gain the opportunities. Ended up moving to Melbourne at 25 and it proved the right decision.

If you have aspirations to play AFL you know moving is a pretty big possibility. If you haven’t mentally prepared for it you have done yourself a disservice and to be honest, it’s pretty ■■■■ of those you surround yourself with not making it perfectly clear as well (I obviously have no idea in Cam’s case, but geez, many signs point to what I’m thinking).

can’t prepare yourself for depression.

Correct and firing from the hip is fkg unfair.

Feel really sorry for him.

Surely the AFL should suspend McCarthy for failing to play? He should be suspended for a year (2017), he has signed obligations and is refusing to honour them. It is time the AFL started making it clear that a contract is a contract and penalties apply to those who, via their ■■■■■■■ managers, are failing to meet them? Also Freo should not be getting him for basically free just because they decided they didn't want to really pay for him when the chance was there.

If he’s got indefinite leave because of homesickness, then fair enough. A fine is fair.

But without knowing the specific details, it’s unfair to say he should be fined.
He could have a grandfather on his death bed, mother or father diagnosed with cancer or something similar. Under those circumstances, he’s entitled to some leave.

Or…

Im depressed… take a year off and get a nice payout… all of a sudden the dr says he is good to go… but only to a successful club.

Hey that’s unfair. You would be depressed if you played at Melbourne too.

Or…

Not sure I am missing your point here or whether you genuinely havent followed his story. Wasnt a stellar year last year and still really fighting it.

'Boot I assume you had all your sht together when you were 19/20 and never made decisions that seemed awesome at first but proved to be a bit tough later?

Draft age should be 21.

I grew up in Adelaide and by the time I was 18 I was adamant I was going to have to move to Sydney at some stage as I was pretty ambitious career-wise and knew I had to up and move to gain the opportunities. Ended up moving to Melbourne at 25 and it proved the right decision.

If you have aspirations to play AFL you know moving is a pretty big possibility. If you haven’t mentally prepared for it you have done yourself a disservice and to be honest, it’s pretty ■■■■ of those you surround yourself with not making it perfectly clear as well (I obviously have no idea in Cam’s case, but geez, many signs point to what I’m thinking).

can’t prepare yourself for depression.

Correct and firing from the hip is fkg unfair.

Feel really sorry for him.

yeah well, as I stated, I had no idea of Cam’s position. I think it was shortly after my post it was confirmed it was depression. Obviously puts a completely different spin on it.

Draft age should be 21.

Agree

We really need to look at how the US college system works in regards to sports

AKA indentured slavery for 3 years before they can (officially) make any money at all?

It only still happens that way (pending court challenges to the NCAA, which are always brewing) in the US because it’s grown up that way, but it’d be impossible to make happen here. There’s not the money - Unis don’t have the coin, nobody really cares enough to pay $ to watch it, sponsors wouldn’t give them the coin either. Rugby, rugby league, cricket, soccer, basketball (and any other sport you can think of) certainly aren’t going to follow suit, so it’d be the AFL out on their own - best of luck keeping that generation of kids. And goes without saying that grown, legal adults who otherwise could be earning anywhere from $200k to $1M aren’t going to want to throw that away just because.

There’s nothing actually stopping guys from opting out of the draft if they don’t feel they’re ready - plenty do. There’s nothing stopping clubs from not picking guys if they don’t believe they’re ready - happens all the time.
Fact is most people, within reason, follow the dollars. And you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think the majority of these ‘homesickness’ (no idea on this guy specifically) cases boil down to exactly that. That’s not going to change. Setting up a 3-year ‘college’ style system is pie in the sky.

Agree with HAP. US college system doesn’t work here.
We could change the pathway though.
Maybe from TAC to VFL (or SANFL, WAFL or other similar league) then to the draft for AFL.

I also think 3 years of college is right for us.
I’d say one year in the VFL is enough of a buffer between U18s / VCE studies and AFL.
That year could help youngsters figure out what career path to take.

Of course, you wouldn’t do it if NRL or other professional competitions aren’t doing it.
You wouldn’t want other competitions taking away from the talent pool.

Agree with HAP. US college system doesn't work here. We could change the pathway though. Maybe from TAC to VFL (or SANFL, WAFL or other similar league) then to the draft for AFL.

I’d say one year in the VFL is enough of a buffer between U18s / VCE studies and AFL.

Of course, you wouldn’t do it if NRL or other professional competitions aren’t doing it.

There’s no question of it happening here, not if things stay as they are.

What exactly is expected to be gained from it? I daresay just as many 21 year olds want out as 20 year olds or 19 year olds, etc etc. Is the theory that a 19 year old footballer is a perfectly mature adult but an 18 year old footballer can’t make their own decisions yet?

Agree with HAP. US college system doesn't work here. We could change the pathway though. Maybe from TAC to VFL (or SANFL, WAFL or other similar league) then to the draft for AFL.

There’s no question of it happening here, not if things stay as they are.

What exactly is expected to be gained from it? I daresay just as many 21 year olds want out as 20 year olds or 19 year olds, etc etc. Is the theory that a 19 year old footballer is a perfectly mature adult but an 18 year old footballer can’t make their own decisions yet?

I don’t think it’s about the decision. I think it’s more about having players being more ready to commit to being an AFL footballer.

I’m not entirely sure how U18 footy is organised, but I doubt there is such heavy training during the week, recovery sessions, etc. all while a player is normally going through VCE studies.
They then step out of this and become professional footballers where their diet is critically watched, they train very often, recovery sessions, etc which also probably means they sort of delay any university studies (or at least don’t take on heavy course hours). Aside from a small handful of players, the rest really don’t impact greatly for two or three years anyway.
Getting onto a VFL list for a year, they’d at least be able to get a better understanding of the commitment required at AFL level (especially if they are drafted by an AFL affiliated VFL team).

In the last two or three years we’ve had more and more players ‘retire’ because they want to focus on another aspect of their life or cannot commit to the riggers of AFL footy. I’m not sure if this has occurred at greater rates in the NRL.

I’m not sure anything will change in the next decade. If you ask any 18 year old, they’d want to play AFL ASAP. Any of them would prefer to get paid as an AFL player than as a VFL player. And they certainly wouldn’t want to jeopardise three years of pay from an already short AFL lifespan.

Super impressive tonight.

Club under 16s are getting into dietitians, recovery sessions, gym and so on. Let alone representative. Let alone U18s.
They’re not getting coached twice a week by Gary’s dad at that level, TAC coaches are by and large ex-AFL players or coaches and from what I understand there’s a lot of the same requirements of AFL guys, albeit on a smaller scale.

Resources at some of the big junior clubs are unreal, and TAC is pretty much fully funded by the AFL. I dare say going from Calder or Eastern Ranges to VFL would be a step backwards in almost every sense.

People are also forgetting the US college system only works because the players get squat and the Universities get everything. Not bad when you can fill a 50,000 stadium, sell merchandise etc and not have to pay the team much more than free accomodation, meals and a class to sleep in during the day. Throw in the TV rights and we all know who’s getting all the cash!

What we need to do here in Aus is build up the second tier leagues through national Televised coverage. Every VFL, WAFL, SANFLand NEAFL game available to watch.

Did anyone see the tackle Mumford laid on Mitch Duncan yesterday? Holy fark, I think he killed the guy. Stopped him dead in his tracks at full speed and then landed on him. Farken Bang!.

Did anyone see the tackle Mumford laid on Mitch Duncan yesterday? Holy fark, I think he killed the guy. Stopped him dead in his tracks at full speed and then landed on him. Farken Bang!.

Was a great tackle and well within the rules.

Was surprised the ump called play on and didn’t ping him, report him and then have him miss the rest of the season because: “Its not a good look for the game”.

Mummy,

The big Mum.

Mumster.

Was great tackle and well within the rules.

Was surprised the ump called play on and didn’t ping him, report him and then have him miss the rest of the season because: “Its not a good look for the game”.

No doubt if it was Dangerfield or Selwood this would have been the case

He had his arms positioned for a tackle.

On a list of least desirable experiences in life, getting tackled by S Mumford would be right up there.

On a list of least desirable experiences in life, getting tackled by S Mumford would be right up there.

Ask Benny Howlett about it when he gets back lol