Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Josh Gibson
  2. Cyril Rioli
  3. Sam Mitchell
  4. Luke Hodge
  5. Shaun Burgoyne

2015 Rising Star Noms

Billy Hartung (round 7)

Ins – Jack Fitzpatrick, Conor Glass, Ryan Burton, Kieran Lovell, Blake Hardwick, Luke Surman, Kade Stewart

Outs – Jed Anderson, David Hale, Brian Lake, Jonathan Simpkin, Matthew Suckling, Sam Grimley, Jared Hardisty

My Prediction

Annoyingly, they are one of the greatest teams of the modern era. Well coached and a chance to set themselves apart as possibly the greatest team if they win it all again. Three in a row is amazing, four in a row would be a miracle.

Early on you would think the forward line could be exposed. Roughead likely to miss the first half of the season is an issue as is Hale retiring. He is not a superstar but he has performed well as a ruck/forward. There will be a lot of pressure on Gunston who is a very good player but maybe has been able to hide slightly with Roughead getting the best defender. Bruest, Rioli and Puopolo make for a very good group of small forwards, they all operate very differently but between them average five goals a game. Very handy.

The mids is the area I would think is a chance to fall off slightly this year. Their three most profilic midfielders were Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis. All will be 30 plus this year although none really rely on legspeed. Whilst they have younger mids coming through and get run from the likes of Smith and Hill, they again get less scrutiny thanks to playing under the older players.

The backline is the best performed in the competition. They are disciplined and get the job done. Interesting to note that the chasing of Carlisle in the offseason would indicate they feel they are maybe a little short back there with Lakes retirement. Would be hard to argue with that as well. Frawley found his feet towards then end of the season and then you are looking at Spangher or Fitzpatrick after that. Going to be tough this year.

So all up it looks like they are primed to be knocked off the perch but you just wouldn’t bet on it. I would expect a slower start this year and better form in the second half of the season. They are still a top four team but perhaps slightly more vulnerable than previous years. Would expect 3-4 for mine. I dont think they will win four in a row.

Please be kind to us.

We should also recognise the difference between the seriousness of Roughead's personal situation and the way the media will push it for all it's worth.

This. Could see it coming from a mile away and it’s ■■■■■■■■ me.

We should also recognise the difference between the seriousness of Roughead's personal situation and the way the media will push it for all it's worth.

‘He doesn’t want it all to be about him’ - media

So what do the media do? Put a camera on his every move.

This team is a mess this year, no way they will make the GF.

We should also recognise the difference between the seriousness of Roughead’s personal situation and the way the media will push it for all it’s worth.

Hawks website is allowing people to send their own direct message to Roughy, but, the club is trying to hose down any sort of official thing for him.

Is a total mongrel of a disease that can make me feel sorry for a Hawk.

Apparently it has not only returned but has spread, that is not a very good sign at all. Absolutely devastating.

Multiple spots reported, which awfully sounds like its metastasized.

Devastated.

But, Can i offer a glimmer of hope that may help Roughy out?

3 years ago, Dad was given 5 years to live because of his melanomas. It seemed every check, they’d find more of the buggers. At the beginning of this year, after the discovery of 2 more, Dad was put on a new treatment of a cream to be applied at home.

In a scan not so long ago, Dad was given positive news that no new melanomas had been found and that he would not need a scan again until next year.

Thats awesome pazza. Hearing stuff like this brings a smile to my face. I wish you and you dad nothing but the best

Yeh, the new strain of immunology drugs for melanoma are showing a great deal of success. My wife was running some trials and results were astonishing. 5 or 6 years ago there really was nothing. Mind you, these don’t work for everyone.
It’s reasonably likely within 10-15 years we’ll have a vaccine for melanoma (just like for cervical cancer).

Rotten news for Roughy. Fingers crossed he kicks this thing and makes a full recovery. Admire the man and the player, hope to see him an action again, and soon. He is young and strong and that has to give him a decent chance to overcome this.

Apparently it has not only returned but has spread, that is not a very good sign at all. Absolutely devastating.

Devastated.

But, Can i offer a glimmer of hope that may help Roughy out?

3 years ago, Dad was given 5 years to live because of his melanomas. It seemed every check, they’d find more of the buggers. At the beginning of this year, after the discovery of 2 more, Dad was put on a new treatment of a cream to be applied at home.

In a scan not so long ago, Dad was given positive news that no new melanomas had been found and that he would not need a scan again until next year.

Yeah which is never a good thing

J Lewis put a very brave face on 360. Even Slobbo was in tears listening to him. All the best Big Rough

Puts a lot of things into perspective

Make a full recovery Roughy.
Terrible luck, but I’m sure he can fight it.

Not ideal. Get well champ.

Fark Hawrhorn and the angry little dwarf that coaches them

And their fans. Fark them too.