Season 2017 - Brisbane

First one of the new season. Few things for the newcomers. Don’t expect 100% accuracy because my research involves having 5 tabs open whilst I type it up and working on the rough vibe of what I remember from last season. It is little more than a conversation starter.

Brisbane

Coach – Chris Fagan

Points For – 14th
Points Against – 18th

Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Dayne Zorko
  2. Mitch Robinson
  3. Stefan Martin
  4. Pearce Hanley
  5. Tom Rockliff

2016 Rising Star Noms

None

Ins – Hugh McLuggage, Jarrod Berry, Alex Witherden, Cedric Cox, Jacob Allison, Corey Lyons, Jake Barrett, Mitchell Hinge, Oscar McInerny, Jack Frost

Outs – Justin Clark, Trent West, Daniel Merrett, Jaden McGrath, Josh Green, Jackson Paine, Hugh Beasley, Billy Evans, Josh Watts, Josh McGuiness, Pearce Hanley

My Prediction

You can certainly see some sort of light at the end of the tunnel for Brisbane but there is still a long way to go, they certainly didnt have a good year with injury last year but in the end they still only missed the spoon by a slither of percentage to a team most experts thought would be lucky to win a game.

The forward line is building. They have a good one in Schache who impressed with his development last year. He needs support though and they will be hoping someone like Walker will continue his development. They are ok for small forwards and I dont think they will miss Green too much despite his efforts before this year. Zorko is a gun although may spend more time in the middle this year. They will want a lot more from Christensen who seemed to take a gap year.

The midfield is interesting as they certainly have some talent in there. Rockliff finds the ball like few others although there is still a question mark over whether he does enough damage with it. Also his attitude seems a permanent point of contention. Zorko will get more minutes through the middle, then you add in Beams who they desperately need to show why he was rated so highly and find some of that form he displayed at the Pies. McLuggage will get more minutes for the Lions that he would at any other team. Mathieson had a great first year as well. The midfield is still a work in progress but it is certainly looking like it is heading in the right direction.

With the rucks you have Martin who has been very good but it gets real skinny after that. They have Archie Smith who has 3 games to his name and then the guy who won the TV show. I feel like I am missing someone but if I am not, they will be praying Martin holds up.

The backline was terrible last year. The worst performed in the AFL and by a distance. They concended over 500 points more than the second worst defense. To call it a work in progress is an understatement. Picking up Frost from Collingwood is a good move and will support Andrews and Paparone. They are young though and will expect 2017 to still be a learning experience.

I dont know what to expect from the coach. I am not sure anyone does. He will be given the time and has obviously spent a lot of time with Clarkson which seems to be a prerequisite for becoming an AFL coach. I think he may be in the Richardson mold which may not be a bad thing.

Success this year would be avoiding the wooden spoon. Not sure they can do it. Their depth and level of talent just isnt where it needs to be. They will win a few games but are going to cop some absolute smashings as well. 18th for mine.

Screw Brisbane.

I was amazed a few years back when Ryan Lester wasn’t delisted.
The fact he has not improved and still on their list is astounding. Their bottom 10 or so players have been the worst in the league for half a decade.

They need a lot of help off the field. They have a half decent midfield (certainly better than Carlton’s) but they’ve barely gotten them on the park for the past few years.

They’ll need a few preseasons before they can even consider getting anywhere close to the top eight.

And that’s only if they can hang on to the players they draft.

I don’t even know what Chris Fagan brings to the club as a head coach except hope that they turn into something resembling Hawthorn.

They are a bottom two side definitely. They should improve by years end though.

I think their biggest mistake was picking up a coach who hasn’t coached in 10 years. For them i hope it works but I think it was terrible and just trying to jump on the Hawthorn “everyone who comes from them must be gold” bandwagon.

What they require is a really solid good group of young players developing together, if they keep losing them and trying to top up they will remain bottom 4 for quite a few years. They have the right types in place now to make it work.

They drafted well but they are years away. Spoon.

Screw Brisbane.

Nah.

■■■■ Brisbane.

I think they are in for a lot of pain again this season.

I will enjoy it

Can’t see them anywhere but 18th.

Who the fark is Chris Fagan?

Who the fark is Chris Fagan?

Runs a shady alley gang of prepubescent thieves, I think.

1 Like

They definetly took a punt of Fagan

They always seem to draft the kids i want l, hope we get some of them back when homesickness kicks

Finishing 17th will be a win - Worst defensive side I’ve witnessed in the last 10 years - That includes the early years of GWS and GC.

18th.

Fold.
Again.

Mongrel club
Fold pls

When talking about their key forward prospects you quite rightfully mentioned Schache but I think Eric Hipwood also showed outstanding signs.

He is a 200cm forward who is incredibly mobile and demonstrated this year that he can be a real aerial presence as well.

If they are developed well, those two can be their key forwards for a decade.

They drafted well (IMO) again this year.

Definitely something to work with. But it won’t come together consistently in 2017.

Bottom few.

I think you’ve got a few things wrong here AB. First and foremost you seem to be talking about Brisbane instead of fark Carlton as the potential wooden Spooner. I think you need to have a GHLAY

Carlton have spent two years building themselves into a team that could achieve mediocrity for some time to come

Carlton have spent two years building themselves into a team that could achieve mediocrity for some time to come

You were going to open with that weren’t you.