Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Sam Docherty
  2. Kade Simpson
  3. Patrick Cripps
  4. Bryce Gibbs
  5. Ed Curnow

2016 Rising Star Noms

Jacob Weitering (Rnd 3)

Ins – Billy Smedts, Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett, Rhys Palmer, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher, Harrison Macreadie, Cameron Polson, Tom Williamson, Patrick Kerr, Kym LeBois, Alex Silvagni

Outs – Andrew Walker, Michael Jamison, Cameron Wood, Matthew ■■■■, Jayden Foster, Clem Smith, Zach Tuohy, Andrejs Everitt, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow, Jason Tutt, Mark Whiley, Billy Gowers

My Prediction

Two years in to the Steve Silvagni period and I am not sure I can put a finger on what the plan is. The first half of last year showed definite signs of improvement. The second half was the Carlton we all know and love. They only won one match out of their final 11. So which half of the season represents the real Carlton.

Hard to argue that the backline improved significantly under Bolton. The recruitment of Silvagni (Alex) to me is an acknowledgement that they are still lacking depth back there. He is too short to be a genuine KP players but tries hard and often breaks even. Weitering is clearly the player they will build their backline around for the next decade as long as he can stay fit. Reads the play well and a handy distributor of the ball. I was surprised to see them trade Tuohy as he was generally pretty handy off half back and it will leave a lot in the hands of Docherty who despite a good year I think is still suspect. If Marchbank can get his body right then him and Weitering are a pretty handy combination.

The midfield lacks grunt. Cripps is a clearance machine but it gets thin after him. He needs support for them to be a genuine chance to move forward this year. I dont see where it will come from. They have some good users with Gibbs and Murphy not to mention SPS who will give them a little more class but I dont rate their midfield at all. They have recruited Rhys Palmer which probably shows just where they sit from a midfield depth status at the moment. Could be the worst midfield in the AFL.

Gorringe could end up an AFL quality ruckman and when Kruezer plays he is definitely a quality player. Phillips looked ok in patches last year. Pretty uninspirig though.

The forward line is a clear work in progress. They have recruited tall and now have to develop them. McKay has big wraps and last year we saw Silvagni (Jack) show that he can play. Charlie Curnow should play some more games this year and is certainly a talent. Again though all you really need to know is that Liam Jones is still on the list to show just how lacking they are in options.

I have thought that Bolton was over rated as a coaching option which is nothing more than a personal judgement. I dont think anyone is expecting finals from this team but also not sure how many people are expecting them to slide which in my view is a definite possibility. They seem to be trading and recruiting without a real goal in mind. I can see SOS doing what he did at GWS, topping up with older mature talent whilst trying to pick some quality kids. Problem for them is they dont have the same talent at the core of their squad. They are positioning themselves for mediocrity for years to come. This year somewhere between 14th and 16th for mine.

Fark Carlton

I’ll take it from here…

Fark Carlton

2 Likes

I looked at their list last season and thought, no way they get more than two wins with that group.
Not only did they win more than two games, but they actually won more games than 2015 (it was 4) and somehow found 7 wins.

Looking at them now, I don’t see them winning any more than two or three games again.
If they somehow win more than that many games, then Bolton (or someone else in that club) is doing a ■■■■■■ good job.

Another fantastic write up, but you really could have saved yourself some time with this one and just run with:

Carlton

Fark Carlton

Fark Carlton

1 Like

Just give them pick 1.
Dead set certs for the spoon IMO

Fark carlton

Best 22

B: Plowman Weitering Silvagni
Hb: Docherty Marchbank Simpson
C: Curnow Cripps Kerridge
Hf: Thomas Curnow Petrevski-Seton
F: Wright Casboult Lamb
R: Kreuzer Murphy Gibbs
Int: Palmer, Graham, Armfield, Silvagni
Emg: Mckay, Boekherst, White

They would be hoping one of curnow or mckay comes on this year as a genuine key forward. And Casboult improves his kicking

Its hard to see them kicking a winning score this year.

My Prediction 17th

I was gonna go down the pub with my Carlton mate late last year but he’s been avoiding me since Essendon’s development team gave them a thumping :smiley:

Finish 18th.
Weitering gets poached. By us.
Eddie Betts kicks 120 goals for Adelaide.
John Elliott gets throat cancer.
Tom Elliott gets early onset throat cancer.

Fark Carlton.

Pretty sure the whole game is available on youtube too.

Fark Carlton

I think they’re better than Brisbane.

So much hinges on McKay and C Curnow’s progress though.

Legit, did not know fark Carlton got Palmer and Smedts

I think they're better than Brisbane.

So much hinges on McKay and C Curnow’s progress though.

Brisbanes kids are miles better. Reckon they will finish above FCFC

Is smedts Mr average from the cats?

That’s the one.

That’s the one.

He’ll fit in well then. Seriously, their recruiting of late…?

Has Billy Smedts actually gotten out on the park in the last few seasons? I seem to recall him being constantly injured and playing only a very few games in the past number of seasons.

And Palmer has his fair share of long term injuries too although he did string a number of games together last season, but he is nowhere near the player that he was in his Rising Star winning year.

Carlton seem to recruit just whoever seems to be willing to go to their club regardless of whether they suit a need for their list or not.

Won’t finish last.
Probably 13th or so

Carlton finally made some ground last year but they’re starting from so far back it’s not saying too much, I still think they need another few years to clean out the wood before the can seriously try and climb the ladder.

Backline - 2 - The Silvagni recruitment tells you all you need to know, and losing Tuohy hurts. Weitering is the man they want to play the marking rebounding role much the way Rance does but he has no KPP support. Silvagni will play the Dawson role but will always play above his weight. Marchbank comes with much fanfare and nothing to show for it at AFL level. If they expect a guy with nothing behind him to hold down a key position they’re kidding themselves, no matter how good they hope he can be. Docherty is the star down back, providing quality rebound and run and always competes well and makes the right decisions in the heat. I feel opposition clubs will really clamp own on him this year now that Touhy is out so it’ll be a testing year for the man that single handily gave them hope throughout a lot of last year. Kade Simpson will go around again and is still one of their better few performers which is a worry as no one has put pressure on him for spots. With Docherty he was one of their best all year, leading the backline with some skill that they lack. The problem is, as good as he is and has been, they need someone to take his spot and when he retires this or next year he’ll leave another hole for them. I don’t really rate Lachie Plowman despite having a couple of good games. He doesn’t get the ball enough or do any damage with the ball and gets nervous under pressure, at best I see him as a negative shut down player for them but perhaps he can develop with plenty of opportunities and no real pressure for spots. Simon White is trash who plays about one or two good games a year and reminds me of the player Carlton used to plug holes with in their wooden spoon teams from the mid 2000’s. Otherwise I’m racking my brain to find any other half decent option, perhaps Dale Thomas might be used as a running back? Byrne was someone I thought would be a nice fit as a running back but will miss a lot of the year through injury. I see the backline as a huge chasm to work on in 2017.

Midfield - 5.5 - The midfield provides a little hope, but Gibbs wanting to be traded would surely worry you. Cripps is their big hope and to be fair does do his talent justice, he wins the hardball but craves some help on the inside and an off-season injury would worry Carlton fans. Murphy was badly missed last year missing the entire second half of the year and will help their midfield and Cripps specifically. He’s really their only midfielder I think has the class to damage teams if you give him enough space. Gibbs is a workhorse who had a good year last year and with Cripps and Murphy is where you’ll find them winning a few games. Dale Thomas is a speck of a player he once was and even if he does find some form I don’t think at 28 he’s the answer for them, I’d move him down back to try and save his career. Smedts made a good decision for his career as he basically gets easy games, I didn’t see much other than an average player at Geelong so I can’t see how he’ll be the answer. Petrevski-Seaton is hugely talented and will give some excitement for Blues fans, I think he’ll be a big talent so they should be set with him. The Palmer inclusion baffles me I guess you could argue they need second tier players that can impact which is where the huge chasm currently is, with some top end talent and then a big drop away. If Palmer can have an impact in the midfield and kick a few goals then he’ll be a handy player. Otherwise players like Cunningham, Curnow or Pickett are expected to give them some hope in what looks a lean year, I think Curnow might start to have an impact and Boekhurst will get some time to find his feet, and Nick Graham should be in the side but still can’t get a regular game. Midfield overall has some good top end players but as soon as they don’t break even the side starts to fall apart. They need that second tier to provide some support and rotate out with Murphy and Gibbs.

Ruckman - 5.5 : Kruezer is their main man but he’ll be used more up forward leaving Phillips with a lot of rucking to do. A pretty average player although he can break even at least. I think the aim will be to find someone more talented to give Kruezer a cop out as I don’t see Phillips as a top ender and Kruze is still unreliable.

Forwardline - 2: Can’t see where they’ll kick many goals. Casboult can take a mark but is the worst set shot in the comp and if he’s the answer then god help them. Kruezer will be used up forward out of necessity but I only see him as a ruck that can kick a few as opposed to a leading forward. Wright was a great pickup last year, kicking goals and being a bigger body up forward. Kerridge also was a good player for them and his ability to throw his body around and kick some goals was the reason they won a few games on the trot. He knows where to go and has good experience which is what they really need up there so you can put him down as a tick as a recruit for last year. Silvagni showed glimpses but is nowhere near ready yet, 20 goals from him would be a great result. Perhaps McKay can come in and kick some goals but he hasn’t even played AFL yet and surely you can’t rely on players like Curnow, Jaksch or Jones to have an impact, and I don’t rate Jed Lamb one bit. It’s probably the poorest forwardline in the comp along with Brisbanes and I can’t see where regular goals will come from.

Predicted Finish - 13th - 15th - Their midfield with Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs, SPS and Kruezer will win them a few games and they might cause an upset or two, but I can’t see how they can kick enough goals or hold teams defensively to do much in 2017. The fact out second string side took them apart in the last game summed it up.

PS: FARK CARLTON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYNzUQR3lI

Pretty sure the whole game is available on youtube too.

Fark Carlton

The pass from Daniher to Walla in the F50 at 4:27 is like an optical illusion.