Season 2017 - Carlton

Its FarkCarlton.

WGAF?

Speak to any Carlton supporter and they are convinced they are getting Fyfe and Shiel at the end of the season

Speak to any Carlton supporter and they are convinced they are getting Fyfe and Shiel at the end of the season
Shiel not in line with recruiting genius Sos' strategy, unless he starts playing in their reserves side

Yep, because top players in their prime going to cellar dweller clubs has been such a common occurrence since free agency etc came in.

Still, nice the Blooz fans keep their delusions, if only because it’ll be fun watching those delusions get shattered.

Liam jones is still on carltons list?!?

I will reiterate my question which I asked a while back and got no answer. In response to Allblack’s OP:

Can Jack Silvagni actually play? What are his strengths? When he played us he seemed like a kid with no size, no pace to speak of, and nothing else to really write home about. In fairness that was a game where they lost to the wooden spooners so few of their players looked good.

Side note Alex Silvagni is really ordinary.

Kade Simpsons is a warrior. I fkn hate Carlton but that bloke has my respect.

Silvagni reminds me a little of The Langford in his play style/position etc. A year younger and obviously less developed though. In between size slim 3rd forward type. His strengths are clean touch and soft hands below his knees, and a twisty agility and quick sidestep in close that makes him hard to tackle. Don’t think he has Langford’s overhead ability though. Speed will never be his thing, and he’s never showed the size/attitude/aggression to be a forward focal point either, and I’ve never seen anything to hint that a midfield move might be on the cards. He can sometimes lead up, but mostly he waits for the ball to come to him.

They’ll be hoping to make him a clever opportunist medium forward who can jag a few through smarts if not watched carefully. He’s quite capable of putting in a bag if his opponent tries to run off him and then he gets on the end of some rebound coming the other way. I reckon that’s his ceiling, whether he makes it or not is another story. But he’s a pick 50something, I guess they didn’t invest too much in him at least.

He’s a bit Brad Fisher-ish

Carlton

Coach – Brendon Bolton

Points For – 17th
Points Against – 10th

Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Sam Docherty
  2. Kade Simpson
  3. Patrick Cripps
  4. Bryce Gibbs
  5. Ed Curnow

2016 Rising Star Noms

Jacob Weitering (Rnd 3)

Ins – Billy Smedts, Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett, Rhys Palmer, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher, Harrison Macreadie, Cameron Polson, Tom Williamson, Patrick Kerr, Kym LeBois, Alex Silvagni

Outs – Andrew Walker, Michael Jamison, Cameron Wood, Matthew ■■■■, Jayden Foster, Clem Smith, Zach Tuohy, Andrejs Everitt, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow, Jason Tutt, Mark Whiley, Billy Gowers

My Prediction

Two years in to the Steve Silvagni period and I am not sure I can put a finger on what the plan is. The first half of last year showed definite signs of improvement. The second half was the Carlton we all know and love. They only won one match out of their final 11. So which half of the season represents the real Carlton.

Hard to argue that the backline improved significantly under Bolton. The recruitment of Silvagni (Alex) to me is an acknowledgement that they are still lacking depth back there. He is too short to be a genuine KP players but tries hard and often breaks even. Weitering is clearly the player they will build their backline around for the next decade as long as he can stay fit. Reads the play well and a handy distributor of the ball. I was surprised to see them trade Tuohy as he was generally pretty handy off half back and it will leave a lot in the hands of Docherty who despite a good year I think is still suspect. If Marchbank can get his body right then him and Weitering are a pretty handy combination.

The midfield lacks grunt. Cripps is a clearance machine but it gets thin after him. He needs support for them to be a genuine chance to move forward this year. I dont see where it will come from. They have some good users with Gibbs and Murphy not to mention SPS who will give them a little more class but I dont rate their midfield at all. They have recruited Rhys Palmer which probably shows just where they sit from a midfield depth status at the moment. Could be the worst midfield in the AFL.

Gorringe could end up an AFL quality ruckman and when Kruezer plays he is definitely a quality player. Phillips looked ok in patches last year. Pretty uninspirig though.

The forward line is a clear work in progress. They have recruited tall and now have to develop them. McKay has big wraps and last year we saw Silvagni (Jack) show that he can play. Charlie Curnow should play some more games this year and is certainly a talent. Again though all you really need to know is that Liam Jones is still on the list to show just how lacking they are in options.

I have thought that Bolton was over rated as a coaching option which is nothing more than a personal judgement. I dont think anyone is expecting finals from this team but also not sure how many people are expecting them to slide which in my view is a definite possibility. They seem to be trading and recruiting without a real goal in mind. I can see SOS doing what he did at GWS, topping up with older mature talent whilst trying to pick some quality kids. Problem for them is they dont have the same talent at the core of their squad. They are positioning themselves for mediocrity for years to come. This year somewhere between 14th and 16th for mine.

Fark Carlton

Two years in to the Steve Silvagni period and I am not sure I can put a finger on what the plan is.

Recruit as many GWS players as possible and then make a takeover bid like they tried with North.

SOS’ 4-step plan:

1. Recruit as many GWS kids as we can.
  2. Bring in a Hawthorn assistant to coach.
  3. ???
  4. Get back to mediocrity.
SOS' 4-step plan:
  1. Recruit as many GWS kids as we can.
  2. Bring in a Hawthorn assistant to coach.
  3. ???
  4. Get back to mediocrity.

So step 3 was 2016, and the step up to mediocrity starts this year?

Or is that too early?

Too early. Long way to go before they reach mediocre.

Fyfe is going to St Kilda or Carlton after this season.
Shiel may be the card they will play of Fyfe chooses St Kilda.

They will certainly have the cap space for someone of that ilk due to their dearth of established talent.

They will certainly have the cap space for someone of that ilk due to their dearth of established talent.

Source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYNzUQR3lI

Pretty sure the whole game is available on youtube too.

Fark Carlton

“but don’t trip and he’s got a hard-on for you”

At 7:25

Translation attempt of the century.

Can’t see Fyfe wanting to go to the Saints. And if he does they will cook their cap in the process.

As bad as it sounds, I’d happily give Watson, Myers, Howlett and Hocking a nudge come the end of the year if it meant we got Fyfe for 5 years

Carlton are going to throw a shedload of money at champion player and try to turn him into a messiah?

C’mon, that doesn’t sound very Carlton…

Carlton are going to throw a shedload of money at champion player and try to turn him into a messiah?

C’mon, that doesn’t sound very Carlton…

Whilst also having practically no other supporting pieces… I agree…

I would far rather have a fantastic, hard working, skilful team under a good coach than a couple of superstars with superstar issues bringing in superstar disunity.