Season 2017 - Collingwood

Yeah, worked a treat for Hird too

Season 3? That’s generous. He was cooked after his 2nd IMO. He was handed a list that was actually still capable of winning a flag and turned it into a list of utter pelicans within two seasons

1 Like

Reckon that Collingwood list was over-rated. It had a lot of dickheads with huge egos and limited football ability. Malthouse developed a good plan and a good team, and there were lucky to draw that first GF.

Any coach can only deal with the players he has and Buckley has been let down by really poor recruitment, injuries and a poor internal culture.

I would sack McGuire before him, but that us not going to happen. Collifilth supporters love Eddie, and there is some merit in the belief that he saved the Club from extinction.

6 years.

You can point at everything you want but it’s 100% Buckley’s team by now.

Yeah, I do too, actually. I know, being from a long-time rival, he cops a ton of crap from people in here. But in truth, he is one of the few people with the balls to stand up and say what’s on his mind when the time comes. I respect him for that. He’s also a nice guy in person.

9 Likes

So which team takes him as an assistant next year? If Gold Coast were smart and he would move up here it would be them.

He would make an excellent assistant coach. He tried to clean out the place too quickly and change the rat bag culture too quickly. Some of the recruitment of the older players has been mystifying to say the least, to give Chris Mayne that much and to offer Wells a 3-year deal, I just can’t even…

You can tell he is a good thinker of the game, but the skill level of some of his players really let’s him down

As for McGuire, it’s his ego and pig-headiness that got Collingwood into this mess. Buckley was heading to North to get their top job, but McGuire wouldn’t have any of that, so he forced the handover rubbish and left Buckley on a hiding to nothing. There should be more heat on McGuire than Buckley but the media are too scared

2 Likes

Yeah, well when you have a farkin TV show and a radio show at your farking disposal to push your propaganda and sell your shiit, you become quite an opponent.

1 Like

Yep.

Quentin Lynch
Jordan Russell
Jesse White
Patrick Karnesis
Daniel Wells
Chris Mayne
Travis Varcoe
Clinton Young

Some collection of spuds they’ve brought in

3 Likes

That’s right!

And don’t forget…

James Aish
Jack Crisp
Adam Treloar
Taylor Adams

But Treloar’s a gun I hear everyone say?

They’ve gone further backwards every year since he’s been there. Not entirely his fault but the recruitment of a number of players of his ilk (finds the ball regularly but constantly butchers it despite kicking the odd goal or two onballers) I believe are at the crux of their problems right now.

But sigh, Essendon never get the big fish.

Heh…not looking too shabby, comparatively… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice guy doesn’t mean you’re a good coach (and vice versa)

Pies fans would rather that grumpy, dishonest, snarky, sneaky old bugger who took them to prelims about 8 times.

1 Like

Oh for sure. I’m not commenting on his coaching success.

Yep.

I just find it interesting the footy world extends “good bloke” status so often to gun players/coaches who seem to be ■■■■■. If you’re a nothing player/coach but a novel peace prize laureate, donuts

CEO just resigned.

Collingwood chief executive Gary Pert has reportedly resigned from his post at the AFL club.

Channel Seven reports the one-time All-Australian-turned-administrator is leaving as part of a wide-ranging review into the powerhouse club’s underperformance.

It remains to be seen whether out-of-contract coach Nathan Buckley will be retained next season after leading his side to seven wins in 17 games so far in 2017.

Yep. 100% that guys fault that the Pies are under-performing ON THE FIELD.

1 Like

“I’m not putting my finger prints on this train wreck”

There are so many bad trades there, but Chris Mayne is completely mind boggling.