Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Tom Lynch
  2. Jarrod Harbrow
  3. Jack Martin
  4. Steven May
  5. Aaron Hall

2016 Rising Star Noms

Peter Wright (Round 15)

Ins – Ben Ainsworth, Jack Scrimshaw, Will Brodie, Jack Bowes, Brad Scheer, Jarryd Lyons, Pearce Hanley, Jarrod Witts

Outs – Nick Malcseki, Seb Tape, Luke Russell, Danny Stanley, Tom Keough, Clay Cameron, Henry Schade, Jarrod Garlett, Dion Prestia, Jaeger O’Meara

My Prediction

The team that won the draft. You could make a strong argument they did ok in the trade period as well. On potential they lost a great player in Jaeger but who knows if he will be allowed to reach that potential, they also lost a very good player with Prestia leaving. Lyons and Hanley though are two very good ins.

When we look at the backline, it looks sorta solidish. They have some talls with Day, Thompson and May, perhaps could use another KP back as they are light on with depth. They have good half back running players with Harbrow, Kolodjashnij, Hanley and Saad. There is enough talent to form a serviceable backline, I think we should see them improve there this year.

Hard to believe that they are already in the middle of a rebuild with the midfield being the main focus. They had so much talent. Ablett could be finished, they need a good year from him but it has been a while now. Rischitelli has surprised and they have drafted some “A Grade” talent this year but they are one of the worst midfields going around especially if Ablett isnt right and who knows what is happening with Swallow’s body. Lyons will give support to Hall with Miller and Martin still developing but hard to get excited. That being said, if they keep this years draft pool together and develop them properly it could all change quickly.

Nicholls isnt a terrible ruckman but hard to get excited about him either. I think Witts was an astute pick up as he looks relatively natural forward and will allow them to play to ruckmen.

Their forward line is the good. Wright has plenty of improvement left, Lynch is fantastic and I think Ainsworth could have an immediate impact. Matera cops it a bit but still very serviceable as a small forward. Witts will support well as a resting ruckman as well. Mostly I think they just need better support from the midfield and more delivery.

Who knows what to make of Eade. Has the feeling that he will be very lucky to be coaching in 2018. I always thought of him as a tough no nonsense sort of coach but right now I am not sure I see the passion I would want if he was coaching us. He certainly doesnt appear to have taken the team forward.

Unless Ablett suddenly finds his form of four years ago and their draftees go nuts, I dont think they can make the finals. I do think they should move up the ladder though. There is enough talent and enough natural improvement that they could finished somewhere between 10 and 12.

I think GCSs are being very underrated. The two players the lost have barely played the last 18 months. Ablett will never be the same, but if Eade is smart he will sneak him into the FP and watch him dine out on opposition backlines to the tune of 60-80 goals for the year.

Their tall bookends are awesome, two of the draftees in ainsworth and Brodie are ready to start now and they have a truckload of talent still on their list.

The big problem is and will continue to be injuries. IMHO a healthy year on the injury front puts them right in contention for finals.

Their game style of run off half back and a truckload of talent in the forward line will see them improve a bunch.

Gold Coast Best 22
B:Harbrow May Saad
HB: Kolodjashnij Thompson Hanley
C: Martin Hall Lyons
HF: Matera Lynch AhChee
F:Ainsworth Day Wright
R: Nicholls Ablett Swallow
Int: Miller Rosa Brodie Rischetelli
Emg: Bowes, Davis, Lonergan

Eades will have to try and not play all these shiny new exciting players so they dont break.

They actually have some pretty handy small defenders now - harbrow, Saad, Kolodashnij, Hanley.
Their Key position players arent bad. Wright, Lynch, May all good…Jury out on Day and Thompson IMO.
Midfield will lose injury prone O’Meara and Prestia, so no big loss from last year.

I can see Bowes, Brodie, Ainsworth all getting good game time. as they are all ready for AFL.
Forwardline might work well with addition of Ainsworth and all the young forwards coming through together.
You should be posiitive if a suns supporter. with concessions future looks bright, if they killed the draft, (and kids wanna stay)
If Ablett plays injury free, and Swallow can get back to his best they are finals bound. If these guys miss lots of games, they should finish outside the eight, but have some good wins, and play more exciting and attacking footy with all the kids. Eades might keep his contract, even if they miss finals.

Prediction 10th

bottom 4

I wouldn’t be surprised if they finished top eight. It’s going to be hard with quite a few teams such as Essendon, St Kilda, Melbourne and Fremantle expected to climb the ladder, but they have the bones of a very good side. People are underrating them because they have been hit so hard by injury over the last two years.

They look reasonably strong and paper, and you’d have to think will improve - if they don’t it’s probably goodnight for Rodney at some stage.

9th-12th imo

I think they’ll improve a lot - after they have sacked their coach.

Do they sack him early and try and salvage a decent year or do it later and pick up some more good young talent?

I’d do it early as removing a dinosaur and getting a few wins on the board might encourage a few more young players to stick around.

Saad harbrow and Hanley. Some serious wheels in that lot, you could build a game plan around that, a good holding/workmanlike midfield and some dominant key forwards.

Did they end up with Barlow?

May surprise if the group gets a sniff and their tails up

Gold Coast Best 22 B:Harbrow May Saad HB: Kolodjashnij Thompson Hanley C: Martin Hall Lyons HF: Matera Lynch AhChee F:Ainsworth Day Wright R: Nicholls Ablett Swallow Int: Miller Rosa Brodie Rischetelli Emg: Bowes, Davis, Lonergan

Eades will have to try and not play all these shiny new exciting players so they dont break.

They actually have some pretty handy small defenders now - harbrow, Saad, Kolodashnij, Hanley.
Their Key position players arent bad. Wright, Lynch, May all good…Jury out on Day and Thompson IMO.
Midfield will lose injury prone O’Meara and Prestia, so no big loss from last year.

I can see Bowes, Brodie, Ainsworth all getting good game time. as they are all ready for AFL.
Forwardline might work well with addition of Ainsworth and all the young forwards coming through together.
You should be posiitive if a suns supporter. with concessions future looks bright, if they killed the draft, (and kids wanna stay)
If Ablett plays injury free, and Swallow can get back to his best they are finals bound. If these guys miss lots of games, they should finish outside the eight, but have some good wins, and play more exciting and attacking footy with all the kids. Eades might keep his contract, even if they miss finals.

Prediction 10th

Aaron Hall?

Gold Coast Best 22 B:Harbrow May Saad HB: Kolodjashnij Thompson Hanley C: Martin Hall Lyons HF: Matera Lynch AhChee F:Ainsworth Day Wright R: Nicholls Ablett Swallow Int: Miller Rosa Brodie Rischetelli Emg: Bowes, Davis, Lonergan

Prediction 10th

Aaron Hall?

centreline

Prediction 10th

Aaron Hall?

centreline

Ah, naff moment

Got 4 top 10 picks this season to replace others who left, if they ■■■■ this up questions will be asked. They should be around the top 8 Mark with a healthy list.

18th

Hard to believe that GC won the first 3 games of the year and only ended up with 6. Granted injuries hurt them, using the most players (40) of any team in the competition but they were expected to push for finals and finished the year as easy beats.

Backline - 6: Developing well enough, and the inclusion of Hanley bolsters the defence. Steven May is their leader, he had career best numbers for intercept marks, possessions and spoils and really improve on his offensive side to only curtail opposition forwards but look dangerous on the rebound. Him getting suspended for 5 weeks basically ended GC’s season, they need May to stay fit if they’re any chance. Rory Thompson was reliable down back for them, he still has work to do but does a good enough job blanketing forwards but provides very little in the way of anything offensive. They won’t mind that too much if the other running defenders can finally step up to their potential. I think Hanley might be best suited as a running back, he has quality disposal and would really sure up the back stocks and add another composed body down back which is what they’ve been lacking to help bring through the other young talent. Adam Saad looks like he should be their next big thing down back, his running ability is matched only by Hall in the side but keeps getting himself injured before he can make a big impact. If he can have a big year then suddenly their backline looks very dangerous. Kolodjashnij had a bit of a down year, expected for a younger kid, but he’ll be a star of the competition and looks extremely classy with the ball in hand, in a few years he’ll be one of the best running backs in the competition. I think with Kolo, Saad, Hanley and May they have the core of a very strong backline, and if Thompson can improve then their backline looks quite strong. I don’t rate Harbrow as highly as the others, he’s still getting games but the defensive aspects of his game are lacking and his rebound is not at a high standard. I don’t think he’s half the player he was at the Dogs but for now will stay stays in the team due to the lack of depth. Sam Day was switched between forward and back with little results, I think this looms as a big year for him personally, I can see him on the scrapheap if he can’t starting giving them something on field. Alex Sexton was one of the few good news stories for them in 2016, he started to shine through as a good lockdown player and they’ll be looking for him to continue improving with each game. Trent MacKenzie was one who most expected to be a star a few years ago but has gone down hill big time in the past few years, with injuries and discipline being the key factors you have to wonder if he really wants it. If he gets a run at it then his kicking ability would be a dangerous prospect. I think having injury free years from most will definitely see natural improvement with the key being able to develop a few extra defenders as the year goes on.

Midfield - 6 : Have drafted to cover the losses of Prestia, JOM & Rischitelli being injured, and with Scrimshaw, Brodie and Bowes you have to say they’ve done a good job. Gary Ablett remains their best player and best player in the league on his day, although you have to wonder about his durability and if his shoulder will ever recover. He’s 33 but you’d be mad to rule him out, he’s a superstar on his day and will win them some games if his body allows them. Aaron Hall should be a gun if his hamstrings allow, averaged 28 possessions but his ability to break the lines is what really impressed and a point of difference. He lead the Brownlow after Round 3 with 3 straight best-ons he just needs to be able to replicate that throughout the year. If there’s anyone they want badly back in 2017 it’ll be David Swallow. The man has played 5 games in 2 years and he’s GC in a nutshell. Talented but always injured. If they get him back this year then their midfield suddenly looks stronger, they need him in the thick of the action giving support to the younger bodies, they can’t afford to have their best midfielders constantly injured. Touk Miller you could probably put down as a tick for the 2016 season, one of the few to thrive in the midfield, he averaged 28 touches in the last 8 weeks and you’d think he’d be set for a big year. They look reasonably set for pacy midfielders, in my mind they need more talented inside midfielders or just stronger midfielders. That’s why Lyons and Barlow were recruited. Jarryd Lyons looks like a very good pickup, genuine bargain pushed out only due to salary cap issues at Adelade and he is definitely what they need more of, quality disposal but able to kick goals from the midfield. I think they’ve done well to get him. Barlow also is another reliable body, he’s still got enough quality to hurt teams or do stopping jobs, only thing is I think this leaves Matt Rosa on the outer as they can’t afford another injury prone midfielder with mediocre skills. Barlow should help fill the void whilst Scrimshaw, Brodie & Bowes get midfield time into them and Jesse Lonergan continues to grow. Basically injuries will determine their fate and how competitive they are.

Rucks - 7.5 : They’re pretty set with some nice options. Nicholls I rate a little higher than others, seems to have the Ryder-laconic down pat about him but he’ll grow into a very handy ruckman and is better than average at ground level. Witts looks to be a very good pickup in my mind, could develop into a very good first choice ruckman but I’m not sure where that’d leave Nicholls. Throw in Currie and they have a few good choice ruckman to choose from.

Forwardline - 6.5 : Actually have the second best forward in the comp, Lynch kicked 66 goals from below average midfield contributions and you have to say he’'s an out and out gun in the making if not already. Wright is following suit quickly, kicked 27 goals but already has started kicking bags of 3 and 5 and at 20 it looks like he’ll be a very big presence with Lynch. Both in 2/3 years should almost be the best combo in the league, they just need some midfield support. They’ve brought in Ainsworth who should get plenty of game time at their feet but if he doesn’t kick on they still have plenty of smalls to provide support. Ah Chee had a promising year and him with Martin look exciting although inconsistent. Both flash in and out but on their day they’re outstanding, I’d dare say they’re 2 years away from being at the level GC need. Brandan Matera is another who rounds out another of their impressive set of fleet footed goal kickers, like many of his team mates able to kick multiple goals but too often his defensive pressure and consistency are lacking, being able to kick a few goals is nice but you cost your team just as many if you’re a weak link with some poor efforts. I’m not going to include Jarrad Grant as an option as I can’t believe he’s still on an AFL list. Overall a very talented but highly inconsistent forwardline, they need their smaller fleet to get some consistency.

Predicted Finish - 11-13th - I have a feeling they’re going to be a tipsters nightmare. They’ll win some exciting games and lose some horrible matches, such is their inconsistency across their whole side. They have talent to be envied but still have a way to go before they can match it with the better sides week in week out.

GAJ, the best player at the Suns out of the leadership group? No brainer. Sold his house, wants to go home, He is out of there. But his body will play footy with the GCS this year.

Sam Day will miss most of the 2017 season after dislocating his hip yesterday

The good news continues.
might be easier poaching a gold coast lad than a GWS one.

Swallow/ koldashnij/Ainsworth

Dermie is losing his marbles.

DERM: TOM LYNCH IS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE GAME
Five-time Hawthorn premiership forward Dermott Brereton considers Tom Lynch of the Gold Coast Suns to be above all else as the best player in the AFL.

Brereton says that the 24-year-old would be the first player the Hawks legend would pick if he had to start a new club, taking over that mantle from Swans star Lance Franklin due to his age.

“(Lynch) is the best player in the comp,” Brereton said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“If you gave me an open chequebook and said start a club, who do you want to buy first? Tom Lynch is my number one target. Bar none…The best player at your club to build around, it is Tom Lynch.

“He is extraordinary. He took the most contested marks last year in a team which was in the bottom four and they kicked it into the forward line like puff bags, they were hopeless.

“He works the hardest out of every key forward, he has the best hands. He is a bit robotic in his kicking nature but he runs hard, works hard, he’s aggressive and just marks anything above head height in his area.”

"

That explains it. I was wondering how come he managed 2 goals against Ambrose in round 21

He might be exaggerating a little bit to get his point across/get a headline but I tell you what, he’s not far off.

The kid is a star and if you come from the school of thought that it is harder to find superstar key forwards than superstar mids, then you just might take Lynch first if you were hypothetically starting a team from scratch and had first go.

Factoring in scope for improvement as well of course given his age.

I guess its Dermie, thinking " I will run through the opposition huddle" and create a stir "

I probably would have selected Nat Fyfe, and there are probably another 6 or so players you could put up a case for.