Season 2017 - Gold Coast

He might be exaggerating a little bit to get his point across/get a headline but I tell you what, he's not far off.

The kid is a star and if you come from the school of thought that it is harder to find superstar key forwards than superstar mids, then you just might take Lynch first if you were hypothetically starting a team from scratch and had first go.

Factoring in scope for improvement as well of course given his age.

Back in the heyday of key forwards, it was widely regarded that you try and build a list around a gun CHF.
I’m not sure it’s quite as relevant today, but a club would be crazy not to throw the kitchen sink at a player like Lynch if he happened to be available

I guess its Dermie, thinking " I will run through the opposition huddle" and create a stir "

I probably would have selected Nat Fyfe, and there are probably another 6 or so players you could put up a case for.

I’ll play along. It would be interesting also to see what others on here who watch footy apart from Essendon games think as well.

Hypothetical scenario…

You are in charge of picking the eyes out of the competition and you have to put up a list of 12 players that you want to be the basis of your team. It has to be structured like this:

2 x Key Defenders
2 x Key Forwards
5 x Midfielders
1 x Ruckman
1 x small/med defender
(can be lock down or attacking)
1 x small/med forward

The framework to guide selection is the team will play only for the next 3 years then cease to exist. This allows a little for expected fulfillment of potential but also rewards runs on the board. Essendon players are eligible as well just to be clear.

I know with the way footy is heading the lines are blurred between who really plays in what positions and what not but just try to use common sense.

I’d go:

2 x Key Defenders: Rance, Hurley
2 x Key Forwards: Lynch, Daniher
5 x Midfielders: Dangerfield, Fyfe, Bontempelli, Cripps, Shiel
1 x Ruckman: Gawn
1 x small/med defender: Jayden Hunt
1 x small/med forward: C Rioli

I guess its Dermie, thinking " I will run through the opposition huddle" and create a stir "

I probably would have selected Nat Fyfe, and there are probably another 6 or so players you could put up a case for.

I’ll play along. It would be interesting also to see what others on here who watch footy apart from Essendon games think as well.

Hypothetical scenario…

You are in charge of picking the eyes out of the competition and you have to put up a list of 12 players that you want to be the basis of your team. It has to be structured like this:

2 x Key Defenders
2 x Key Forwards
5 x Midfielders
1 x Ruckman
1 x small/med defender
(can be lock down or attacking)
1 x small/med forward

The framework to guide selection is the team will play only for the next 3 years then cease to exist. This allows a little for expected fulfillment of potential but also rewards runs on the board. Essendon players are eligible as well just to be clear.

I know with the way footy is heading the lines are blurred between who really plays in what positions and what not but just try to use common sense.

I’d go:

2 x Key Defenders: Rance, Hurley
2 x Key Forwards: Lynch, Daniher
5 x Midfielders: Dangerfield, Fyfe, Bontempelli, Cripps, Shiel
1 x small/med defender: Jayden Hunt
1 x small/med forward: O Fantasia

Fixed. I think your computer has the free kick whorerhorn lock on.

Who the hell is J Hunt? Lol
I’d possibly have Cameron over Lynch or Daniher, and a fit NicNat over Gawn.

Bottom 8 finish.

2 x Key Defenders: Hooker, Hurley
2 x Key Forwards: Franklin, Kennedy
5 x Midfielders: Dangerfield, Zach Merrett, Fyfe, Pendelbury, Ablett
1 x small/med defender: Heath Shaw
1 x small/med forward: D Martin

Who the hell is J Hunt? Lol I'd possibly have Cameron over Lynch or Daniher, and a fit NicNat over Gawn.

He was certainly my one ‘non playing it safe’ option.

I was just unbelievably impressed with him last year as someone who can be a real matchwinner with his speed and skill yet still defend when needed. I suppose a bit like Jason Johannisen played in the GF is the best comparison, minus the consistent butchering by foot.

I think he is ready to explode this year so keep an eye out!!

And if you genuinely have no idea who he is and weren’t just being a smart a.rse :wink: his name is Jayden Hunt and he plays for Melbourne.

Fair enough re: Cameron. I just get the feeling he has plateaued a bit. Still good, but he became obsessed with running his opponent under the ball and doubling back and getting it out the back. Rather than genuinely leading at the ball carrier.

I just favour Daniher or even Hogan as being more influential big men over the course of the next 3 years to their teams. Cameron, playing as a forward for that mob who are that ridiculously talented it’s a joke, will kick plenty of goals though, no doubt.

Nah genuinely didn’t know who he was lol

I would probably beg to differ with Dermie in terms of the first player I would select for a new team. For me, get the best leader / outstanding player to captain the side. I think he proposes this coming from a “marquee player” perspective. But is the first player you select for a new club the right criterion for nominating the “best player in the competition”?

There is a problem with KPFs as captain. In 2016 only one KPF captained a side, Taylor Walker at Adelaide. KPFs usually dont get a lot of possessions, and can spend large amounts of time watching play unfold at the other end. So involvement in the game, and the ability to help lead the team as a whole are reduced. In recent start up clubs, GAJ was the marquee player and captain. GWS didnt bother with a marquee player. Sydney brought Buddy in, but he doesnt appear to be a leader.

I agree, Lynch does seem to be able to kick lots of goals. But so does Eddie Betts, who now occupies a space in the very exclusive group of AFL Marquee players along with Buddy. Lynch seems to be a bit dour to get to that level.

The captain is the first player to pick, and its just a fact that usually he will be a midfielder.

Who the hell is J Hunt? Lol I'd possibly have Cameron over Lynch or Daniher, and a fit NicNat over Gawn.

Cameron would want to improve a hell of a lot over his 2016

Buddy and Kennedy both kicked 80 goals last year
Kennedy doesnt even get a look in?
Buddy is the only current day play to have got the ton as well.

Lynch, Daniher and cameron all have improvement in them, but it might take them 3 more years to get to that level.

He might be exaggerating a little bit to get his point across/get a headline but I tell you what, he's not far off.

The kid is a star and if you come from the school of thought that it is harder to find superstar key forwards than superstar mids, then you just might take Lynch first if you were hypothetically starting a team from scratch and had first go.

Factoring in scope for improvement as well of course given his age.

I’m with you. The kid is a legit talent, pretty much everything you want from a young key forward.

If we had him we would be almost certainties for top 4.

He might not be the first player i would pick if i was starting a team. But he would be top 5 for sure

Former CEO “resigns” and within a day the new AFL trojan horse CEO comes in, claiming he had been “thinking about going back to club land for months”
All very neat and tidy, no senior executive search, no interviews.

AFL house has assumed control. Even tighter control.

Gold Coast needs to work! I’m sure Garry Ablett Jr, Karmichael Hunt, Rodney Eade, Mark Evans will make it work!

I advertently read part of the article in The Age before realizing who it was written by. Funny how she didn’t mention Bock in the tumultuous period for the Suns.

Actually: I wasn’t surprised.

Mark Evans the new Gold Coast CEO

Boys club alive and well

#freekickgoldcoast

2 Likes

FOLD COAST

Will not win a premiership for another 5 years at least. Can barely keep stars they have.

Barrett reporting Ablett will request a trade again back to victoria. Cochrane denying and said he will not be able to leave.

Remember him saying that about Jaegar too. Bloke is all smoke.

Mikes bro.