Season 2017 - Gold Coast

Hobart has more sunshine than any other Aus capital

There are very few fans so maybe that’s reasonable?

1 Like

They were 8-5, then 9-6 when Ablett went down and crashed to 10-12 and finished 12th.

Almost as bad as Essendon’s 2012 crash except we had about 6 injuries, they had 1.

2 Likes

Their culture must be beyond bad. Every season there is at least a couple f their good young players trying to leave.

Having your captain try to leave isnt the great thing ever either

As for Rodney Eade, i think he is a good coach but not a great one. Been at 3 clubs now and gotten to 1 GF. He might get an assistants role somewhere but i would be amazed if he was to get another head coach role.

Never particularly liked eade either, just seems like a tool.

They dont really have any sort of home groubd advantage either. As most fans go to watch their team up there and take a bit of a holiday at the same time. So you end up getting a 50/50 split in the crowds. So they dont have that extra element to really get them going.

When i have been up there, a lot of the time the essendon fans have outnumbered the suns fans.

Long term i just dont see it working. Has there been any sports teams up there that have worked long term? Do they have a rugby team?

The gold coast is for coke heads and retirees, everyone else hates it apart from a 2 week vacation.

Fixed

Gold Coast Rollers.

Like the Bears at Carrara, the GCS have had crap facilities. The government and AFL have pumped money into the stadium and training facilities, the AFL has provided increased funding for staff. There might be some improvements.
The supporter base is harder. Queensland is more rusted on to NRL than Sydney, where a lot of people are not attached to NRL.

Ablett out again with another phantom hamstring.

Probably saving a final 40 disposal/4 goal match-winning performance for next week.

3 Likes

SACKED coach Rodney Eade has revealed he wouldn’t have taken on the Gold Coast job had he known the true extent of the fledgling club’s problems.

Eade, who was told by the Suns on Monday that his services were no longer required after three years at the helm, felt he wasn’t given enough time to fix a never-ending stream of issues after replacing inaugural coach Guy McKenna.

He said some of the Suns’ shortcomings had been well documented but added that many other failings hadn’t reached the public domain.

The veteran coach believed the Gold Coast board should have been more aware of the issues that had beset the club, labelling the Suns’ high performance and medical departments “really average”.

Asked whether he would have accepted the Suns’ coaching job if he’d been abreast of all the circumstances, Eade answered emphatically.

“No. No. No. Not at all. No,” Eade told ABC radio on Saturday afternoon.

"There’s a lot of things that surprised me and then keep happening. You turn over another rock and, whether it’s June or July, and you think you’re on top of it and something else happens.

"There’s a few things that got out publicly but there’s a lot of things that were kept in-house as well that people don’t know about.

"And the injury rate was horrible. It was a lot better this year but the last five or six weeks it’s really gone south again.

"All those factors involved, no I wouldn’t have done it …

“You set some standards and make some decisions in one area and then another area would pop up. That was a constant for 12-18 months.”

The Suns’ board should have had a greater understanding of the club’s frailties, he said.

“I don’t think they did know (the full extent of issues),” Eade said.

"Some of parts of the footy department, like the high performance and medical and that, was really average as well.

"So there was parts of those they should have known, there’s no doubt.

“I don’t think they did know the extent of the cultural thing, and probably a lot of people didn’t. Should they have known? I think all good clubs would know.”

Eade said he’d received positive feedback from most players about how much the club had “turned around” culturally in his time.

“They’re in a good place from that aspect. Players are becoming (more) professional,” he said.

Eade said the type of coach the Suns appointed to replace him would depend on where they saw their playing list and its capabilities.

“It’s a pretty young squad and if Gary (Ablett) is not there next year and (Michael) Rischitelli might only have one year (left) and some experienced players probably leave, so if they’re going to get younger, they might need a development coach,” he said.

Eade:

4 Likes

Honestly, the quicker they fold the better. Will never be successful

Anyone else suprised he has been there for 3 years?

Definately doesn’t feel that long.

2 Likes

Yep, for some reason I thought it was only 2

They won’t be allowed to fold same as BL.

You get eaten alive if you stayed there for 2x weeks.

Eade just proving once again what a massive flog he is.

I didn’t realise that he was still coaching them until his sacking was announced.

2 Likes