Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Luke Shuey
  2. Josh Kennedy
  3. Andrew Gaff
  4. Matt Priddis
  5. Shannon Hurn

2016 Rising Star Noms

Tom Barass (Rnd 23)

Ins – Nathan Vardy, Sam Mitchell, Daniel Venables, Josh Rotham, Willie Rioli, Jake Waterman, Thomas Gorter, Drew Petrie,

Outs – Xavier Ellis, Damien Cavka, Patick McGinnity, Kane Lucas, Jamie Bennell, Brant College, Alex Waterman, Corey Adamson, Mitch Brown

My Prediction

A lot of peoples pick before last season to be a real challenger. They had just lost the grand final in a year where they were ravaged by injury. Looked to be good things. Looking at the list this year which hasn’t had a serious overhaul, it’s not hard to remember why I was so bullish the year before.

The backline bats deep. They uncovered another KP player last year in Barrass but still have McGovern, Schofield and MacKenzie. Running defenders were disappointing last year and somewhere the game plan didnt work. Yeo, Wellingham, Hurn and Sheppard are all good users though and should be doing a better job. I would back them to improve this year.

The midfield bats deep as well and is strong if not a little predictable. Last year I rated the West Coast midfield really highly. This year I am not sure why. They have qualityu with Shuey, Priddis and Gaff, they have added in Sam Mitchell who has a couple of good years left. Masten had a dog of a year last year and Redden hasnt had anything like the impact he was expected to have. They don’t bat deep enough and they lack leg speed, something the recruitment of Jetta was supposed to solve but he was shocking. They need a big improvement this year from this area if they are going to improve.

The rucks are diabolical with Natanui and Lycett injured. Giles will be competing with Vardy and Petrie for the number one spot.

The forward line is full of talent. Kennedy is reliable and gives them 3 or 4 goals a game consistently. Darling provides a good foil for Kennedy and they have flagged LeCras spending more time close to goal. I thought Hill was good last year and actually surprised me as he gave them another option. I imagine Willie Rioli will actually play a few games next year and will round out a good forward line. If they can get the supply, then I think they will get the job done.

So I still don’t know what to expect from the Eagles for next year. Their midfield doesnt look good enough or deep enough for them to compete. Their season could hinge on the healing of Natanui or Lycett. I dont think they will miss the eight but they certainly dont look like a top 4 team to me. I think 6-7 is going to be about the mark again.

Great analysis again.

Mitchell and Priddis are going to be a handfull, cant see too many teams winning clearances. He might only have a year or two left, but he still won the hawks B&F last year.

All hinges on Nic Nat I reckon. If he can come good late season they have to be thereabouts.

No Nic Nat, no armchair ride, no finals.

I hate this mob…love to see them nose dive

Wonder if Mr Worsfold will hear the boos for Jobe next time we play them and call out their supporters :wink:

Lol Petrie
Reckon even I’d beat him in a ruck contest these days - surely there was someone better floating around for a back up ruckman? Reckon Simpson’s friendship with him has clouded his judgment big time

Could come here me with a wet sail if Nic Nat comes good in the back half of the year feeding Priddis and Mitchell. Will just depend on whether they’re within striking distance of top 4 when he returns

I didn’t know they dropped Brian Coolaid. There were strong suggestions in a thread about picking guys up that we should pick this guy up. Too late for this year, but could be a chance for next season? Dammit! If only there was a mid season draft we could pick him up for our finals tilt. I think the Eagles will fall a little but shouldn’t miss out on the 8. Mind you if Kennedy were to sustain a long term injury, it would disrupt their forward structures so much that they’d be regretting the delisting of that Brant Golum guy.

6th

Waiting for SMJ… :wink:

They’ll do well. 3rd-5th in my view.

… nah. I’m just farking with ya. 18th

Just fk off and die you c*nt of a club.

Any team with Kennedy up forward has a chance.

Mitchell will add some well needed experience and clearance nous to the midfield, ensuring far less reliance on NicNat winning the taps. Dark horse for the top 4.

Hard to predict.

Just fk off and die you c*nt of a club.

the hate is strong with this one

I’d love to see them collapse out of the 8.

Willie Rioli tore his hamstring really badly. Will miss 3-4 months. Not an ideal start for the lad.

Willie Rioli tore his hamstring really badly. Will miss 3-4 months. Not an ideal start for the lad.

Sad.
Actually, we’ve been pretty lucky aside from Francis, I reckon.
So many new recruits get injured.

Sad.

Yeah you’re right. SPS has also done his quad at Carlton as well.

Comparatively we’ve done pretty well with the health and fitness of our first year players in recent times * knock on wood and all that stuff *

Sad.

Comparatively we’ve done pretty well with the health and fitness of our first year players in recent times * knock on wood and all that stuff *

what about my boy taranto?

Sad.

what about my boy taranto?

I hadn’t heard that he’s injured. Tbh I haven’t seen much news about how he’s gone over the summer up at the Giants.

I hope he gets a few games this year. It’ll be interesting to get a look at him at the top level.
There weren’t many more impressive than him in the back half of the season last year.

Breaking in as a midfielder in that side so stacked with talent will be a real challenge in year 1 unless they suffer a number of injuries.

Where he could get his way into the side is as a half forward who might occasionally take a turn in the midfield. Especially if Deledio continues to be a cripple. He is actually a very impressive hit up forward with outstanding hands. He primarily played that role in the National Carnival last year in fact.

Priddis retiring.