Season 2018 - Hawthorn

Really?

They’ve only had about 5 draftees get to 50 games for them from the past 6 or so drafts - and you wouldn’t call any of them world beaters (Howe Langford Sicily Hartung and Ceglar).

1 player a year is a poxy hitrate, even given they keep trading out their earlier picks - which hasn’t been entirely successful either (O Rourke a huge fail, Mitchell a huge win, OMeara seems to be a win thus far, Spangher, Fitzpatrick, Vickery fails)

I’m surprised they mine the lead so close to the township.

Sicily is an elite player and will get even better. It’s a tough pill to swallow because he’s a ■■■■, but not fair to deny it.

2 Likes

Hopefully so he can never torch us again he’s gone full Dean Rioli.

It’s just as possible we went for him as early as we did, because we knew something they didn’t.
We certainly have a decent network in Gippy.

3 Likes

100% agree! I was just addressing the repeated comments that the hawks are too clever to pass on a good player so they must know something we don’t.

The Hawks decided to risk it on a defender because they let a good young one one go ( Burton), and 4 of their defenders are close to or past their use by date in 2019. Stratton(31), Burgoyne(37), Birchall(31), Frawley(31)

Mossie will need 1 year . Hawthorn will probably need to play Kosi in 2019

I expect Hawthorn to go into freefallin 2019, however, I have expected that for several years and they are still clinging to life in the 8.

2 Likes

So that’s 1 realy good player, 2 decent guys who’ll get to 100 (Howe and Ceglar), and 2 passable 50 game role players - from about 25-30 picks, over 6 years.

It’s still bad.

Yep. Sicily is pretty good.

1 Like

On paper, he seems like a cracking addition. Hence the original question.

I think it’s more average than bad.

Yep! I just didn’t like seeing Sicily on that list. Credit where credit is due and all.

Gosh that was a good draft.
Zerrett, Fantasia.
But Sicily is quality, especially for a pick in the 50s.

2 Likes

Yep. Hawthorn and Essendon both have good track record with later picks. Those blokes are absolute steals. Both looked way too skinny to ever make it haha. Maybe that’s the key.

Mosquito was in the 50’s too?

Synchronicity

They also picked up Garlett at #38 that year, soooo…
I mean if you want to talk about Hawthorn knowing stuff, maybe not, huh?

More synchronicity?

2 Likes

I don’t know who ranks these guys but on the live draft they had him ranked at 42.

My point is they don’t have a great record with later picks at all. At least not recently.

1 very good player, 2 decent and 2 jobbers. From 25-30 picks.

In the same period (ignoring the early picks, and drawing the same line at 50 games) we’ve got Gleeson, Fanta, Zerrett, Ambrose, McKernan, McKenna, Brown, Hartley & Tippa.
That’s 4 really good players, and 5 decent-to-jobbers.
It’s absolutely night and day.

This “well Hawthorn decided X so essendon must be wrong” is cultural cringe BS.

I’d expect it if Swanboy was talking about his Swans, but he’s not.

It’s just wrong.

4 Likes

Achie Duda, now that’s a name I haven’t heard for long, long time.
“Duda kicked a goal, do-dah …”

1 Like

Too soon l know for this comparison, but young Worpel looks like he is made from the right stuff.

2 Likes

Definitely. I was going to say this but couldn’t be bothered arguing with the replies.